• 1. in the non-battle movement phase, can move the air/land unit to occupied territories?

2. Does battle-ship make an amphibious assault attack itself?

1. You can not land air units on newly occupied and/or conquered territories. However, you can move additional land units onto a newly acquired territiory.

2. A battleship can not bombard coastal teritories unless it is used in an amphibious assalt. And if there is an enemy naval unit in the same sea zone, then the BB loses its one shot bombardment if you use it in the naval battle beforehand. Battleships can not carry any units either.

I hope I didn’t forget anything or just plainly screwd up.

• @Candyman67:

1. You can not land air units on newly occupied and/or conquered territories. However, you can move additional land units onto a newly acquired territiory.

2. A battleship can not bombard coastal teritories unless it is used in an amphibious assalt. And if there is an enemy naval unit in the same sea zone, then the BB loses its one shot bombardment if you use it in the naval battle beforehand. Battleships can not carry any units either.

for some reason number 1) does not seem right to me. I thought one could only move (during n-c movement) onto territories controlled since the beginning of the turn (you are right about the air units tho’).
    2 is correct.
    could we get a 3rd on this one?

• We’ve always played that you could move additional ground units in after a battle, and I believe the cd game lets you as well…

• You cna move ground untis into a newly captured territory.

• @Candyman67:

Candyman is absolutely right on #1–many people get confused about the “Planes Can’t Land on Newly-Won Territories” rule and think it applies to everything. It doesn’t. The fact is this often doesn’t come up because if you COULD HAVE attacked with additional units, you usually WOULD HAVE, rather than leave some behind. But sometimes it makes sense in your contingency plans. You may move land units into newly-won territories on NonCombat Move, but planes (of all types) may NOT land there.

On #2 Candyman is basically right, but I feel some clarification is in order. In order for your mighty BB to bombard, a variety of criteria must be met. First, the BB must accompany an amphibious assault–that is, land units from TRs landing on an enemy-controlled territory on Combat Move. Second, the BB must be in the SAME Sea Zone (SZ) as the attacking amphibious TRs. Third, the BB must NOT have been involved in ANY sea battle that turn–that is, if any enemy naval units occupy the SZ the amphibious assault force is entering, the BB must do battle with & win against the enemy fleet BEFORE the amphibious assault takes place. In this circumstance, the BB gets NO “bombard” opportunity because it was already involved in the naval battle.
    The trickiest rule is that one CANNOT voluntarily keep a BB OUT of the naval battle in order to bombard. So no matter how many ships are attacking the SZ (or how few enemies are defending it), the BB (s) can ONLY “bombard” if there are NO ENEMY UNITS IN THE AFFECTED SZ WHATSOEVER. If even a TR was in the way, the BBs would get NO “bombard” since the NAVAL BATTLE COMES FIRST.

Hope this fully clarifies the issue.

Ozone27

PS–Be careful when using the computer game as a reference to the rules. It cheats shamelessly!!! Case in point–the Suez Canal Rule where the computer floats enemy units up and down the canal with impunity–even if you own BOTH sides!!! :evil:

• thank you for your correction.

• @Ozone27:

The fact is this often doesn’t come up because if you COULD HAVE attacked with additional units, you usually WOULD HAVE, rather than leave some behind. But sometimes it makes sense in your contingency plans.

Yeah, and it usually only happens when you get really lucky in a battle - one where you were expecting to lose your units on a counter-attack. Instead, you do so well that you realize you can now hold the country if you reinforce it during the non-combat move, when under ‘typical’ battle results you wouldn’t have been able to. Strategy and tactics count for very little in Axis and Allies - it’s all about the dice! ;)

Ansbach’s Golden Rules of Axis and Allies, #12:

“It’s better to be lucky than good!”

:lol:

• @Ansbach:

Strategy and tactics count for very little in Axis and Allies - it’s all about the dice! ;)

Ansbach’s Golden Rules of Axis and Allies, #12:

“It’s better to be lucky than good!”

:lol:

Well, strategy & tactics count for a lot, but suffice it to say–rule #12? I’d say that’s rule #1! :D

Ozone27

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m