• “BTW the metric system rules…damn all those who use farhenheit!”

The day they change the speed limit from miles to wimpy kilometers is the day I die! :wink:

But seriously, NASA doesn’t use the metric!? Come on, even as a lab student, I use metric! Get with the program! Inches, feet, it’s all an evil invention by the British to keep America is a backwards position. :roll:

• @FinsterniS:

BTW the metric system rules…damn all those who use farhenheit!

Why you (amerian) are not using the metric system ? Because it is french ? :lol:

And Canada is on the Metric system ? I know Quebec is, but i am not sure about the rest of the Canada…

It cost Nasa a lot…

(CNN) – NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because one engineering team used metric units while another used English units for a key spacecraft operation, according to a review finding released Thursday.

just 'cuz it’s French doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s completely crap. There, i said it. are you happy?
    And yes, the rest of Canada has been metricized for a while. I think there is just the US and South Yeman left . . . .
    There is a problem with the US not on the metric system. Many scientific journals still come out of the US, however their units require calculations before they are useful, which can be cumbersome when writing a review or even just trying to study guidelines, etc. The stupid thing is, many of their units are “metric”, but not international metric standards (g/ml rather than mmol/l) - stupid!

• Exactly, every culture is good in something anyway…

The day they change the speed limit from miles to wimpy kilometers is the day I die!

There is movement in the US to change the system ?

But seriously, NASA doesn’t use the metric!? Come on, even as a lab student, I use metric! Get with the program! Inches, feet, it’s all an evil invention by the British to keep America is a backwards position.

They use the metric system, for distance anyway… And it was a problem because one engineer use the Imperial system, and it cost a lot…

America do not use the Metric system, and the UK too i think ( i am not sure )… i am sure it will endangers there sovereignty :roll:

• i think the UK is getting behind it (metric), at least their scientists seem to be.

• It has been suggested that we change, but here in the U.S. anything French is associated with eating babies :D

• yummmmm . . . babies . . .

or were you talking about chocolate babies?

• It has been suggested that we change, but here in the U.S. anything French is associated with eating babies

I always found the hate between French & English culture to be quite amusing.

• @FinsterniS:

I always found the hate between French & English culture to be quite amusing.

Me too. Just watch Monty Python. The “French Lavatory Squat”. Brilliant. :lol:

• “There is movement in the US to change the system ?”

Well in schools, teachers teach us to use metric rulers and metric scales for any class work that utilizes measurements (though like CC said, there’s conflict of interested between our metric and the international metric system). However, I’m not sure people will totally accept the idea of throwing away the old Imperial System (that us Americans have come to love) in favor of the metric. A change will occur, though not overnight. You’ll have to wait until those raised on the “old system” to die out first before you can completely replace it with that of the new.

“They use the metric system, for distance anyway… And it was a problem because one engineer use the Imperial system, and it cost a lot…”

I think that the engineer should be penalized accordingly. It’s just seems so strange for a NASA scientist (a ROCKET Scientist for cryin’ out loud!) not to use metric. What else can I say, besides, get with the program?

“America do not use the Metric system, and the UK too i think ( i am not sure )… i am sure it will endangers there sovereignty ”

(From what I heard) I don’t think UK still uses the old system any more, and if so, very sparingly. So is UK really that “Must isolate from Europe, let’s stick with America?” Besides, UK isn’t dumb, allying themselves with the world’s most powerful (notice I didn’t say greatest) country is a smart move. I’m sure America would do the same if suddenly another country (unless our interest are so different) were to grab the international spotlight (hint, hint China).

• “ Me too. Just watch Monty Python. The “French Lavatory Squat”. Brilliant. ”

Who can forget Monty Python and the Search for the Hail Grail involving the French castle guardsmen?

French Guard: You don’t frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, son of a silly person! Ah blow my nose at you, so-called “Arthur Keeeng”! You and all your silly English Knnnnnnnn-ighuts!!!

-Later on-

French Guard: Ah don’ wanna talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food-trough wiper! Ah fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

(the soldier proceeds to bang on his helmet with his hands and stick out his tongue at the knights, making strange noises.)

I wonder if the French have anything as hilarious to show for the British. :P

• "BTW the metric system rules…damn all those who use farhenheit!

Why you (amerian) are not using the metric system ? Because it is french ?

And Canada is on the Metric system ? I know Quebec is, but i am not sure about the rest of the Canada…

It cost Nasa a lot… "

American laziness is why we don’t use the metric system. we should stop teaching the english system, and speed limits should have big number in KMPH. same with milk. what is a half a gallon, 1.89 liters?

• “American laziness is why we don’t use the metric system. we should stop teaching the english system, and speed limits should have big number in KMPH. same with milk. what is a half a gallon, 1.89 liters?”

If you want to start with something, try fixing the English language. At least we know that the “Imperial System” is uniform when it comes to pounds, feet, gallons, ect. The English language has so many exceptions, small details, and contradictions in it that it’s just itching to be tuned up. I mean why are “two leaf” equal to “two leaves” and not “two leafs?”

• The Imperial system is far from uniform. 12 inches to a foot, but that’s the only measurement that creates another measurement at 12. For example, 12 pints dont make a gallon (or whatever pints add up to).

• I meant as in exceptions to the rule. Hence 12 inches will always equal 1 foot. Yet in English, there are many exceptions to different rules, as I pointed out earlier.

• Besides, UK isn’t dumb, allying themselves with the world’s most powerful (notice I didn’t say greatest) country is a smart move.

Every country make sometime a stupid move; like UK allying themselves to the US. Not because the US are not powerfull, that is not the question, but because English are still european, anyway from a geographic point of view. By following USA like a little dog they will eventually suffert from the Anti-european feeling of the American and the Anti-american feeling of the European (it is not getting better with the International Court, Steel, Agriculture, Kyoto…); that is already the case. Also they do not want to be in the Alliance, London could (should?) be a very important city for busness in the union, but they don’t feel european and prefer to be isolated. Another thing, they may always follow america, their economy is still close to europe, and most of the Import/Export is in continental europe.

UK; Exports - partners: EU 58% (Germany 12%, France 10%, Netherlands 8%), US 15% (1999)

UK; Imports - partners: EU 53% (Germany 14%, France 9%, Netherlands 7%), US 13%, Japan 5% (1999)

• “Every country make sometime a stupid move; like UK allying themselves to the US. Not because the US are not powerfull, that is not the question, but because English are still european, anyway from a geographic point of view. By following USA like a little dog they will eventually suffert from the Anti-european feeling of the American and the Anti-american feeling of the European (it is not getting better with the International Court, Steel, Agriculture, Kyoto…); that is already the case. Also they do not want to be in the Alliance, London could (should?) be a very important city for busness in the union, but they don’t feel european and prefer to be isolated. Another thing, they may always follow america, their economy is still close to europe, and most of the Import/Export is in continental europe.”

One thing is right, England was able to survive and even benefit through centuries of “isolation.” Besides, England and USA have always been strategic partners since early days of the Republic. Only now the roles have been reversed. USA is no longer the “little dog” since the early days of the Monroe Doctrine. Even now, England holds the world’s 4th Largest Economy (well… until California surpasses it). Their economy is close to Europe, which is why they joined the euro, even though they were doing well without it. Also, I’m not sure where you’re getting this “Anti-European” feeling of the American, as most Americans would end up “hating” themselves. Certainly, US views England as “less-European” (if in fact this can be true).

• 4th Largest Economy ? Base on what ? The GDP is ~1.36 Trillions, the GDP/capita is’nt great too; 22.800. France, German, Japan & US surpass the UK on all these points, the UK is even close to Italy in term of GDP & GDP/capita. I don’t see how it can be the 4th largest economy !

• According to 2000 stats (I don’t think 2001 has been released yet), Britain does have the 4th Largest Economy. Various sites can also confirm this.

Overall, the United States is the world’s top economy followed by Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom, California [if it were broken out as a country], and then France.

TABLE B1.1: GDP, G7 COUNTRIES 2000, $US BILLION, CURRENT PRICES2
    Rank Country GDP
    1 USA 9,927
    2 Japan 4,611
    3 Germany 1,873
    4 UK 1,416
    5 France 1,291
    6 Italy 1,074
    7 Canada 688

Do you have 2001 stats? This might change positioning order then.

• Ok, there is a problem somewhere… when i look at CIA’s statistic, it is clear… (2000 est.).

#1 USA, #2 Japan (don’t need stats for those…) then…

GE = 1.936 (23 400/capita)
    FR = 1.448 (24 400/capita)
    UK = 1.36 (22 800/capita)
    IT = 1.273 (22 100/capita)

Note that I don’t say my statistic is better i really don’t know…

• The problem is that the CIA statistics is that it even says it’s an ESTIMATE of projected 2000 GNP. Therefore, I think that this data had to be given before the end of 2001 or even 1999 (I heard that French economy had a downturn in the last half of 2001 or 2000). I’m still unsure if the 2001 data is out, but check out this website if you want more information on UK and the rest of the world:
    http://www.radio.gov.uk/topics/bfwa/doc28ghz/info-mem-sep2001/bfwaap_b.htm

Most of the sources are fairly up to date (2001).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m