What was the best all-purpose tank of WWII?

• T-34/85 would get my vote, followed by the Panzer IV.

The T-34 was the best all-purpose tank. It’s wide tracks allow for great offroad abilities. The 76.2 mm gun was one of the best guns of the war. The tank was well armored. The typical Soviet enginniering allowed for easy replacment of parts. Great tank.

• My thoughts exactly, the T-34 was used throughout the world well into the late 80’s!

• The T-34 and the German Panther.  But the King Tiger tank deserves mention too.

• In a 1vs1 fight, would any of you choose the T34 against the Tiger?

• During WW2,

Tiger 1, numbers built 1347,
    T-34, numbers built 57000……!

Anyone who is stupid enough to think that 57000 Tiger tanks would not win the war for Germany???

How about 40000 Tiger tanks against the Russians and 17000 Tiger tanks against the allies after they landed in Normandy?

Or maybe 50000 Tigers in Moscow, 7000 Tigers in France to slow down allies, and then the 50000 Tigers heading for France…would you rather be somewhere else, perhaps?

That wouldn’t even be funny, and I would not be able to type this message in English, (as I’m Norwegian).

Ach, scheisse  :mrgreen:

57000 Tiger tanks…just think about it for a few seconds…  :mrgreen:

Anecdote: After the WW2, the Germans were prohibited to some extent in designing and producing tanks, b/c they were too good. Almost like a $50 axis (unit) bid in Revised/AA42/AA50 :-)

• I see what your point is and it is valid, the Tiger had a longer range and a more destructive cannon with an 88 as a gun turret making it more powerful head to head.  But the question on the thread was best all purpose tank.  In my own interpretation that means durability effectiveness, repairability, and longevity.  In those terms I believe the T-34 out classes the Tiger.  The Germans had multiple problems with the Tiger due to its sheer size and mechanics, it would break down quite often.  The Tiger was not as reliable as its predecessor Panzers like the Mark IV.

• When I asked the question I thought it would be unanimous for the Tiger. But I have heard some convincing arguments for the T-34.

• I interpreted the question that it was about the all-purpose best tank in WW2, and not the best tank design philosophy. Tiger was better in defense than offense, so probably the Panther is a good candidate also, but US+Russia had great numbers, much more than Germany.

The T-34 was one of the most cost-effective tanks in WW2, and so it was a great tank-design-philosophy. But the best tank overall, was the Tiger 1, with Panther in a second place.

• Tiger 1.
    For Germany’s enemies T34.

• All purpose tank status must take into consideration production. It’s the most important consideration in  total war.

• I think you’re partially right. All purpose also means the tank can effectively fight tanks, infantry and bunkers. Also needs to be able to cross all sorts of difficult terrain.

The Sherman was very cost effective, but in every other aspect was outclassed by nearly every German tank.

It also depends of the situation of the country producing the tanks. Does the nation have enough metal? Labourers? Factories? The US had enough all of those so should have been able to develop a better tank and don’t allow your tank crews to be burned alive with every hit taken. While Germany had hardly enough of labour, (undamaged) factories and metals, they still developed the best tanks from that era.

• I agree with you guys…the German Tiger tank i agree was the best all around tank in the war…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m