Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Forum

• Simon R. Green is good easy reading, very similar characters in different books but a great read.  I can’t explain it but there is something to be said about a sci-fi/space opera/fantasy for Deathstalker.

As for David Gemmell, yes “Legend” was his first book.  I actually started with Druss the Legend, which is the prequel to Legend.  It fleshed in the Legend character.  Gemmell combines history with fantasy.  The strange thing is that it took me a while to get used to his writing but after awhile, I was hooked.

@Bardoly:

@cannon:

Great idea!

Simon R. Green

• Deathstalker Series “Shandrakor! Shandrakor!” “Deathstalker luck always bad.”
    • Nightside Series,
    • Hawk and Fisher Series,

David Gemmell (R.I.P)

• Druss the Legend
    • Waylander

There are so many others but these two standout (fantasy/sci-fi), along with those mentioned by Bardoly.

cannon fodder,
    Thanks for the input!

I don’t believe that I’ve ever read anything by Simon Green.  What is particularly good about his writting?

For David Gemmell, I remember that I read one of his books 10+ years ago and didn’t really care for it, but I don’t really remember anything about the book.  I believe that it was called, “Legend” or something.  If I remember correctly, it was one of his first books published.  Are his books actually good now?  Maybe I should give him another chance.

• Dune has been recommended to me before. I was told that the books are way better than the movie and they would have to be for me to read them as the movie was terrible.

Can anybody else recommend these books.

• George RR Martin’s Ice and Fire series, starting with A Game of Thrones is a must read imho, I stumbled upon him in a book store, and was thrilled by my incredible luck at just happeing to find such a great story.

He’s a great writer of sci-fi and fantasy short stories as well.

• @Joe:

George RR Martin’s Ice and Fire series, starting with A Game of Thrones is a must read imho, I stumbled upon him in a book store, and was thrilled by my incredible luck at just happeing to find such a great story.

He’s a great writer of sci-fi and fantasy short stories as well.

@Bardoly:

@Viracocha:

If you like those, I’d suggest George RR Martin’s books, starting with Game of Thrones.

I tried the first 3, but they’re just so dark and grimm.  It’s like, after I finish reading it, do I feel better or worse?  Also (as a side note), he’s taking WAY too long and creating a few too many rabbit trails.  He’s also just a little too free with killing off main characters.

Joe, Thanks for the suggestion.

This is an earlier post of mine in another thread about “A Song of Ice and Fire”.
    I am not opposed to having some main characters die, but, in “A Song of Ice and Fire”, so many of them have died, it’s like, who’s left?  It’s not really quite that bad, but I guess that I still like to see the good guys (struggle of course), but still win in the end.

• Anyone who like militaristic sci-fi should check out the ‘Horus Heresy’ series of novels published by the Black Library.
    Really enjoyable.

• Has anyone here read any of the “Ranger” novels by the Australian author, John Flanagan?

I’ve read a few favorable reviews, so I’m thinking about giving them a try.

@Krupp:

Anyone who like militaristic sci-fi should check out the ‘Horus Heresy’ series of novels published by the Black Library.
    Really enjoyable.

Krupp Steel,

Thanks for the input!  One question.  What style (as in range or scope) of militaristic sci-fi are these books?  spaceships?  ground combat?  galaxy-wide?  a few solar systems? a single planet?

• Read this book:

It is the first of a 14 book series called Wheel of Time (12 of which are complete)

(Rank = 83)

• Read this book:

It is the first of an eleven book series called Sword of Truth.

(Rank = 82)

• @Bardoly:

Has anyone here read any of the “Ranger” novels by the Australian author, John Flanagan?

I’ve read a few favorable reviews, so I’m thinking about giving them a try.

@Krupp:

Anyone who like militaristic sci-fi should check out the ‘Horus Heresy’ series of novels published by the Black Library.
    Really enjoyable.

Krupp Steel,

Thanks for the input!  One question.  What style (as in range or scope) of militaristic sci-fi are these books?  spaceships?  ground combat?  galaxy-wide?  a few solar systems? a single planet?

Sorry about the late response.
    It deals with spaceships, ground combat, HtoH combat, galaxy-wide, heroes, Alien races,  dark magiks, and it is a very mature read i can also add. Good humour mixed in along with it all.

It is the backround fluff for the Games Workshop table-top strategy game Warhammer 40k.

• @Brain:

I think that a good place to start is Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein.

I need to dive back into Middle Earth. I usally do once a year.

• If you like Middle Earth and you want the whole story, you might try The Silmarillion

• Customizer

Larry Niven:

Protector
    Ringworld
    Ringworld Engineers

The 3rd links together the first two (quite separate) stories.

Protector is the best book about middle age I’ve read. (Yes, Middle Age, not THE Middle Ages or Middle EARTH.)

http://www.sfreader.com/read_review.asp?book=538

• @Brain:

If you like Middle Earth and you want the whole story, you might try The Silmarillion

Good read. Have you read Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien?

• @ABWorsham:

No, I have only read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, add The Silmarillion. Is Unfinished Tales a good read?

• @Brain:

@ABWorsham:

No, I have only read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, add The Silmarillion. Is Unfinished Tales a good read?

Unfinished Tales is a good read.

• @Bardoly:

Unfinished Tales is a good read.

Right now I am re-reading Wheel of Time and I am in the middle of Book #5 (The Fires of Heaven) so I won’t have a chance to read any other books for a while. But now my interest list is growing for what to read next. Keep the list of good books coming you guys.

• Read all of Tolkein’s books. I am also sucked into LOTR Online.

The Dune series has some excellent novels. Aside from Dune itself, the House books are all enjoyable reads. I actually enjoy most of Brian Herbert’s books more than his fathers.

I know I am not the only fan of of Timothy Zahn’s Star Wars novels. I recommend those to any and all fans of Star Wars. I see Grand Admiral Thrawn posts here. The best bad guy in the Star Wars universe besides Vader.  Too bad the guys in charge of the books now don’t deal more with Zahn and fire all the New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Farce crowd.

Jordan’s Wheel of Time series is a favorite as well. It is a shame he passed away before finishing it. The fellow finishing Memory of Light broke the novel up into three parts but has done very well so far.

• Do any of you know if the movie The Hobbit has started filming yet?

• @ABWorsham:

Do any of you know if the movie The Hobbit has started filming yet?

Go to this website for the latest:

http://the-hobbit-movie.com/

• As previously noted, Tolkien, Robert Jordan and George RR Martin are a must…

In addition, you should try:

The original Dragonlance Series by Weis and Hickman (circa '85).  Great storytelling…

R.A Salvatore’s Forgotten Realms novels (chronicles the dark elf, Drizzit’s adventures…).  Great characters…

Lords of Dus series (4 books) by Lawrence Watt Evans (may be hard to find…try ebay or Amazon)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m