• Also, what’s the trigger?

It’s not the tanks in themselves or an unstoppable strategy, it’s simply Russia positioning and it’s troops spread too thin on first round.

Germany makes a calculated sacrifice on turn 1 in ukraine of 4 tanks and 6 infantry to capitalise on that. This really force the Russian to commit most it’s troops even further right into Ukraine which is by now a dead zone from Germany troops Eastern Europe + tanks produced in Germany.

Not taking out Ukraine is not really an option either since Japan moved planes into range on turn 1 to be in position to reinforce either it or an early fallen Caucasus on turn 2. Also the whole German army will get massed there which would leave no chances for defenders on turn 3.

So that’s the trigger point, troops spread too thin getting spread even thinner where you want them to be crushed. One could argue of not taking back Ukraine, or so to speak not taking the bait, and fall back on Moscow with everything, leaving caucasus i guess. Doubt it would do any good to Russia but might be possible to perfom their own impulse trough karelia toward Eastern Europe with UK-USA help. Does not fly too high with me tough.

• What if the Russian Turn 2 counterattack to Ukraine is a 2-3 round raid and retreats (to either WRus or Cauc) just before exposing the expensive victors ? Then add more arty/inf in Caucasus and tanks in Moscow so Ukraine is a real dead zone. To enter it (and stay alive), Germany needs infantry, LOTS of it. Tanks alone are a big waste !

2-3 German rounds of building (almost) all inf, followed by 2 rounds of tanks throw an irresistible ‘cumulated charge’ at Ukraine and beyond. Survive at first, then survive safer (land German fighters too), then with the full 4 waves, attack !
    Some little questions are what about the Western threat in the meantime, and what about the ‘hollow’ following the ‘cumulative charge’ if changing back to build inf, slow to reach the front.

• There is no conceivable way you can sack Caucus on round 2. If you can, u deserve a win sir. Round 3 i find highly unlikely as well. You are right about Ukraine being a dead zone, And the russian player should treat it as such by not commiting all of its troops there. Meanwhile, you dont have enough left over to defend the western front as well. Germany is the one that spreads itself too thin in this scenario.

• Fun idea.  Needs some clean up ;)

VS realistically: ( let’s say 2 infantry, 2 artillery, 2 tank on first Russian build )

• 3 tanks in Ukraine
    • 5 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 AA gun in West Russia
    • 8 infantry, 2 artillery in Caucasus
    • 2 tanks in Moscow

5inf 2art in WRU?  With a Russian double into WRU/UKR shouldn’t you have about 6inf 1art 1tnk in WRU?  Since UKR is always a kill zone I’m sure most players would rather send 1art rather than 1tnk into UKR even if they were taking it thinly.

And I think you would have 4inf 2art in CAU, not 8inf 2art.

The Russian opening needs a bit of work.

As for the counter, the Baltic is unenhanced, so it’s going to get slagged by the Brits.  That means the UK will build up to a total of 4tra for an invasion of WEU R2 and it can’t be stopped.  It can be countered, but you will have approximately 7inf 2art 3tnk landing in WEU (4tra of UK gear, 2tra of US gear).  The bleed on Germany is immediate.  With a competent Allied transport chain, Berlin is under dire threat R3.

The tank stack is a fun idea and it has it’s place, but the big tank stack isn’t going to stop a good KGF player.

A KJF player, on the other hand, who stacks in BUR and moves 2inf to PER on R1, could be vulnerable to this opening.

Peace

• You can sack Caucasus round 2 if Russia abandon it to fall back Moscow, that’s how i meant it. But yea, Round 3 is the goal here.

For western europe scenario, nothing prevent germany to sink the lone transport with the sub at start. Round 2 and round 3 Germany purchases occurs before UK landing in round 3. That’s over 80 ipc in infantry/artillery/tanks waiting for allies landing which will be too weak to resist the counter on round 4. Remember the 8 tanks were purchased round 1 and are already on their way to Ukraine once you place 2nd round puchases of Germany, you do not need to commit round 2 and round 3 germany purchases badly enough to compromise core territories. In fact, you pretty much have what you need in ukraine except maybe 2 infantry and artilery back up from Italy via 2 transports ( IF not bringing back africa corp) .

Also, you really do seem to take the destruction of baltic fleet granted when it’s not. As well not considering the german air force that is based in western europe. I see no way you can pretend to land there before round 3 and it will be a weak landing if ever so.

I can pretty much assure you, your fleet will be sunk if it’s only made of 1UK BB, 1 USA destroyer and 3 transports + the odd russian sub. You’ll need to build an UK AC first turn. At least i’ll strafe the transports for sure if no AC are present.

Let me know your disponibilities and we will play it. Words won’t prove it to you it seems.

• :-D :-D

Ok then.

I can pretty much assure you, your fleet will be sunk if it’s only made of 1UK BB, 1 USA destroyer and 3 transports + the odd russian sub. You’ll need to build an UK AC first turn. At least i’ll strafe the transports for sure if no AC are present.

Ok, the fleet at a minimum will be 5tra 1sub 2des 1btl.  The best way to approach the French coast is to build in Z08 or Z02 on R1 and if you need the carrier, build it in place.  Do the invasion R2 and build your protection after you land.

Let me know your disponibilities and we will play it. Words won’t prove it to you it seems.

Perhaps just not the words you used  :-D  I’d love to play.  I just fired up TripA for the first time in many months yesterday, and I’d love a game.  How does 5:30 look to you?  I can play until 8pm which should demonstrate a few things about the first few rounds.

Since we’re exploring a strat and not just playing, let’s use Low Luck to normalize the dice.  That will give the best approximation of your plan.

Do you know how to get to the TripA lobby?

Peace

• And of course I’ll leave the game open so anyone can drop in and kibbitz in the chat dialog.  All are welcome for trash talking and banter  :-D

• I’m in the lobby now.  I’ll hang out there for a while.  Anyone else, c’mon out if you feel like a chat.

Peace

• Mazer, are u taking my game from me!  :)  I wanted to demonstrate the German bleed!! It would have been fun taking EE with a single russian soldier on Round 3!!!

• AoE, let’s play man.  I got until 8pm.  I’ll run either side of this strat.  Get in the lobby!

• Still at office, can’t be there before at least one hour and half :(

Im not sure for Low luck, the battle might be normalised but it’s too easy to comit the right forces.  This strategy deals with forcing the ennemy to commit it’s forces, you don’t nomrally hold back when rolling dices.

• D’oh!

I’m booked then until Sunday (maybe late Saturday like 11pm, maybe…).

I’d love to run the strat with you some time.  Let’s see if we can get a couple hours in the next week.

Peace

• @Mazer:

AoE, let’s play man.  I got until 8pm.  I’ll run either side of this strat.  Get in the lobby!

I dont see you in there

• Welp, we played and i got two words to sum it all: Japan failure.

On the bright side, i’m not ever playing a team game with someone i don’t know. I’d rather have played pool and pocketed the 8th ball along with the queue ball.  It really was that bad.

Guess Caucasus falling on 4th turn in thoses conditions was already good considering you knew from start what i would do. I’ll replay you with dices and playing both axis next time, we’ll see how it goes.

• yeah japan sure did mess with the results. But to be fair, Caucus didnt really fall on the 4th turn. I left it empty to kill all your german tanks. :) And retook it. However, if the japanese didnt do that ill-advised attack, was it round 7? It still would have been interesting, as berlin was close to falling as well.

A couple of things on the game.

1. I didn’t maximize on the opportunities I was presented. I think a better played allied game would have crushed berlin. The mistakes i made were: I bypassed africa with us, giving the germans too much income. I should have staged in algeria with the us, and killed that med fleet early.

2. I didnt take advantage of the weak eastern front. This has part to do with bad dice. Im actually not sure how i didnt take Ukraine in ll round 1. Thats never happened before. And frood says it shouldnt of happened. hmm actaully a few battles were different on the triple a battle calc compared to frood. Hmm. but heres frood:

Probability % # units / losses
      69.98% 5: 1 Art, 2 Arm, 2 Fig. 3 Inf. : 9 IPCs
      27.4% 4: 2 Arm, 2 Fig. 3 Inf, 1 Art. : 13 IPCs
      2.62% 3: 1 Arm, 2 Fig. 3 Inf, 1 Art, 1 Arm. : 18 IPCs

There is no result with 0 land units, which is waht happened!!! But that caused me to stack caucus rather than w russia. Which didnt allow the russians to eat up territory. The uk should have been landing in  northern europe and eating up territory, another error on my part.

3)  Ur post does say round 2 you would buy 2inf 2art and the rest tanks. You instead bought all inf and art waiting for the WE landing that u new was coming. if u bought the tanks, berlin would have been in trouble much faster.

So as in summary, i didnt properly bleed the Germans, and u had way too much income. Which allowed u to place way too many inf in the west. But even as it went, berlin was at risk of falling that game. So yeah we should do it again, with you in control of all of axis.

• It was fun seeing the strat in action (BTW - For those not in the game, I was not in the game either as they were playing at a time later than I could make it.  I dropped in for a bit around midnight to see the action).

I do think a more aggressive Allied opening will cause the Germans fits.

I’m out for today, but maybe late tomorrow I would have some time.  Sunday evening I could certainly get a few rounds in.

Have a good weekend!

• Ya, that’s the thing, you were not supposed to retake caucasus. I came in with 4 units from transports and 3 more that were still in range. The Japan had at least 6 tanks, 4 planes and 1 infantry in range but never wanted to reinforced me, going for kazahk… (wtf was that? )  which lead to Russia able to take it back on turn 5 despite its weakened  state when it never should have been able if japs reinforced it…

Have Japs massed there, i would have been able to build 4 units plus 4 more coming from transport to bring it up to 14 units and japs would have been in an even stronger position the nxt turn instead of exposing stack of 3 lone tanks to your counters. Result was that the build up got completely messed up, german presence removed and it was the turning point to the defeat. Never would have happened if i was playing Japs but what can you do when your ally don’t listen. :(

1. We would need to see, I’m not sure Uk would have been able to take western europe alone every turn.

2. Eastern front was not weak before turn 4, once the battle in westrussia happened.

3)  We have to make it intersting, don’t we? :P

Anyways, too much stuff got messed up in the game to really have a clear view and without Japan fighters backup, this strat is doomed to fail for sure.  It is in the conditions.

Let me know when you can play.

• Tonight’s looking good.  You around?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m