• Okay… the other day I was going through my units and came across the M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle. (I believe that’s correct - I don’t have my units/cards in front of me.)

Anyway, this unit has two abilities that seem to create a conflict of logic: Backblast and Light Artillery.  I’ll paraphrase…

Backblast - Whenever this unit attacks, it fails cover rolls for the rest of the turn.

Light Artillery - This unit can be carried by units with the Transport ability. (doesn’t have to be gun transport.)

What this says to me is that you can simply load it onto a halftrack that has Fighting Platform and fire from there.  Now, since the halftrack is the “protecting” unit, and thus is responsible for making cover rolls, the Backblast disadvantage is null and void.  Is that right?  (DL, I’m expecting to hear from you.  8-))

• @AgentOrange:

Okay… the other day I was going through my units and came across the M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle. (I believe that’s correct - I don’t have my units/cards in front of me.)

Anyway, this unit has two abilities that seem to create a conflict of logic: Backblast and Light Artillery.  I’ll paraphrase…

Backblast - Whenever this unit attacks, it fails cover rolls for the rest of the turn.

Light Artillery - This unit can be carried by units with the Transport ability. (doesn’t have to be gun transport.)

What this says to me is that you can simply load it onto a halftrack that has Fighting Platform and fire from there.  Now, since the halftrack is the “protecting” unit, and thus is responsible for making cover rolls, the Backblast disadvantage is null and void.  Is that right?  (DL, I’m expecting to hear from you.  8-))

That’s correct. Nowhere on the card does it say transports the rifle is mounted on fail cover as well.

However putting the halftrack and rifle together is hardly the best of combos, since it’s a fairly vulnerable and expensive pairing.

• Thanks, DL.  You’re right; it is a pretty expensive combo for how vulnerable it is.  However, this just occurred to me… You could transport it on a unit like an Easy Eight, that has transport, but not fighting platform.  That would make it not nearly as vulnerable, and you could still move it around with a speed of 4, and drop it off wherever you want.

• @AgentOrange:

Thanks, DL.  You’re right; it is a pretty expensive combo for how vulnerable it is.  However, this just occurred to me… You could transport it on a unit like an Easy Eight, that has transport, but not fighting platform.  That would make it not nearly as vulnerable, and you could still move it around with a speed of 4, and drop it off wherever you want.

Well yes, though I personally think the E8 is an overcosted monstrosity ;) If all your going to do is transported, might as well use an inexpensive Jeep, which can then rush back to get more infantry - something the E8 is unlikely to do. If you’re not limiting yourself to US / Western Allies, then the T-34/76 is good as well.

• Yes, the Jeep is way better as far as ONLY transporting, but I just think the Easy Eight is nice, in that it can drop off units on its way into battle.

But yes - I remember a game with a buddy of mine, in which we had hills and forests shielding my main supply road (it went from my left to my right) from the enemy’s line-of-fire.  Constantly, along this road, I would be taking crucial units back and forth to provide assistance on the other side of the map.

• The notion of an Easy Eight as a trolley is highly amusing.  Something Oddball would definitely do.

• Ahhh, Kelly’s Heros, now there is a movie I should dig out again.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m