• http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/ah20080304

Check out this new unit special ability.  +1 on movement rolls?  Maybe I’m missing something but since when does an infantry need to roll for movement to enter a hill hex?

• @Half-Track:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/ah20080304

Check out this new unit special ability.  +1 on movement rolls?  Maybe I’m missing something but since when does an infantry need to roll for movement to enter a hill hex?

While not in the original 6 maps, there are Bluffs that require move rolls.  And of course, rivers count too.

• They totally missed on this unit.  Mountain units should have the ability to fight better than elite units while in mountain hexes and should be a little better than an ordinary infantry in other situations

This unit should have been defense of 4/4 adding steady resolve (attack must beat this units defense by two to score two hits.  The special attack abilities should be one or more of the following

1.  While in hill hexes this unit rolls one extra attack die.  
    2.  While in hill hexes this unit gets +1 when attacking other units in hill hexes
    3.  This units medium range attack is 2-5 hexes.
    4.  Enemies in hill hexes attacked by this unit get -1 on cover

Considering mountain units took up good defensive positions one or more special abilities would also work

1.  While in hill hexes this unit get unlimited defensive fire
    2.  While in hill hexes this unit gets +1 on cover rolls
    3.  While in hill hexes enemies can’t attack this unit at long range.

• Bluffs are rare, +1 doesn’t really do much help, and how the hell does being an Alpine unit help to cross a river?  Maybe they could have entered a bluff hex like a normal movement, +1?  Do the also get +1 on barbed wire?

• The problem with that if you take it too far is you have a unit that is only useful in 5% of the hexes on the map.  But I can see what you are saying and I’d like to have seen a “Mountian Comabt” that is just like “Urban Combat”

Mot

• @Half-Track:

Bluffs are rare, +1 doesn’t really do much help, and how the hell does being an Alpine unit help to cross a river?  Maybe they could have entered a bluff hex like a normal movement, +1?  Do the also get +1 on barbed wire?

I bet mountain river ravines are a hell of a lot hard to cross than the ones in the falts…if they can get past them then the rest is easy!

The barbed-wire question is a good one.  It depends on the wording on barbed wire.  If its a “Movemnet Roll” then yes it would apply.

• yes it’s movement roll

• And the question has been clarified in the faq.  It gets the +1 on all movement rolls, not just terrain.

• My 1939 French Army can beat any 1939 German Army

Char B1-bis X 3
    MAS X 7
    Alpine Troop X 1
    Panhard X 1

Something is wrong with the balance

• 2x Panzer Ausf. G……44
    1x Brumbaar…22
    1x Sd Kfz…6
    MG 42…10
    6 Mauser…18
    …100pts.

I’ll take a crack at it.  Set it up.

• Panzer is 1942
    Brumbar is 1943
    MG 42 is 1942

Ok so you right now you only have your mauser’s and KFZ 251.

• @Half-Track:

My 1939 French Army can beat any 1939 German Army

Char B1-bis X 3
    MAS X 7
    Alpine Troop X 1
    Panhard X 1

Something is wrong with the balance

OK, how 'bout this one:

SS-Haup          x1 @  7
    Mauser            x4 @ 12
    SS-Stormtrooper  x2 @ 14
    W. Expert Sniper  x3 @ 33
    BMW R75          x3 @ 15
    Elite Panzer IVD  x1 @ 18

And that’s not using the airplane, the 88, the 81mm mortar, the neblwerfer, etc…the Germans have a lot more flexibility.

• Let’s do it!!!

• @Half-Track:

Let’s do it!!!

I’ll need to add the needed units, so lets give it a try after our current game.

• It would be great to see more “early” war games like these. Lots of fire and maneuver and less tank hulk battles. I’ve been playing a 1942 Guadalcanal series with Stimpy and it has been refreshing to get away from the King Tigers and the Soviet IS-2s. In the low tank armor games like the one Stimpy and I are playing in, the mortars and machine guns are almost just as much a threat as main tank guns.

• I agree, with those monster tanks the game feels limited to just a 1 on 1 boring tank battle. (1 bad roll and your toast)
    Personally I would rather not use these monster tanks unless with a 200pt build.

• Char B1-bis is the best tank of the era period.  Sorry but defense of 5/5 and double shot hull cannon is hard to beat.  Mot is in for a real chalange.  I’ll put my 1939 French army against anything else from that time period.  I’ll even tell you the strategy and it’s historically similar to the French system.  I’ll move my whole army in one formation and mow down anything in my way.  Tanks and infrantry move in formation together.  I’ll break formation only in close combat situations.

• @Half-Track:

Char B1-bis is the best tank of the era period.  Sorry but defense of 5/5 and double shot hull cannon is hard to beat.  Mot is in for a real chalange.  I’ll put my 1939 French army against anything else from that time period.  I’ll even tell you the strategy and it’s historically similar to the French system.  I’ll move my whole army in one formation and mow down anything in my way.  Tanks and infrantry move in formation together.  I’ll break formation only in close combat situations.

Yeah it will be a tough game, but in general I think Germany VS France in 1939 has a lot of potential for some great matches.  Germany has the units to take on the Char B1-bis, starting with the 88.  But no doubt, its heck of a tank that has merit beyond just 1939.

• On the topic of scenarios…I’m still waiting for all of the those official Avalon Hill AAM scenario maps to get construected by some volunteers nudge

• Roger. I was delyaed crossing the line of departure. I just sent a sample map. Let me know how it looks and we can continue from there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m