• Hi, my thoughts for two new types of units are all about infantry.  It’s just a few of my thoughts.  Feel free to expand on them or make other suggestions.

Shock Troops.  The purpose of a shock unit is to have something to break up the enemy with an initial assault so that it can be destroyed while broken in morale and disorganized.  The Germans knew this well and gave their Stormtroopers a position of prestige, but neccnecessity had other countries use their equiequivalentn America, the first real shock troops were the famed foot cavalry of the Stonewall brigade during the Civil War.  During the first World War, the troops in the white leggings (the Marines) where referred to as shock troops because of their tenacity.  Further back, even Sun Tzu made mention of “extraordinary forces” which would be optimized for offense.  In the A&A CMG, these could have an advantage in advancing and may even cause an automatic disrupt if they move into an enemy hex.  Maybe they could even have a movement bonus.
    Ideas for the units:

SS Liebstandarte. 1940
    Although it later became an armored unit, the Führer’s own was an elite unit with obvious political ties.  Thus they were very highly motivated as the best of the best.

Marine Raiders.  1942
    Known for their harsh training, even my Marine standards, and their assault on Edson’s ridge at Guadalcanal, the Marine Raider battalion and their actions have passed into legend.  The common misconception is that these were the predecessors of the recon units, but those already existed and developed on their own.  This unit was able to

Ranger Regiment.  1944
    These were the men who scaled the seawall at Normandy, and have been the Army’s finest light infantry ever since.  Their history actually goes back (traditionally) to the Revolution, and Rangers today still learn the standing orders of Maj. Robert Rogers.  As with the Raiders, they were well trained and extremely mobile.

Elite Infantry.  1941
    The Imperial Japanese Army was truly a remarkable force.  Equipment shortages, bad assignments, and bad chow were all part of life for these men.  Like the crack soldiers of Gen Kuribayashi’s defenders of Iwo Jima, the most experienced of Japanese soldiers would fight with determination comparable to the Spartans at Thermopylae.  This was, in no small part, because of the belief that it was a sacred thing to die in the service of the Emperor.  If they did have one weakness, it was that they would underestimate an enemy they didn’t understand.Â

Irregular or unconventional units would be those that may have had a different motivation for fighting, but were absolutely loyal to their ideologies.  What they lacked in training and equipment, they made up for in their flexibility and fanatacism.
    Irregular fanaticismommunist Guerilla.  1939
    RecruiGuerrilla rural regions of China, the guerilla’s of Mao gained guerrilla’s fighting the Japanese which would aid them in their sweep to power.  Highly motivated and single minded, they should fight well in adverse terrain but would be equipped with whatever they could find.

Hitlerjungen Defense.  1945
    During the battle for Berlin, the German Army fought with remarkable professionalism even with the downfall of the Reich.  Most feared by the Soviets, however, where the young men who had spent their entire lives in the Third Reich.  These boys, often no older than 12, would appear out of nowhere and were extremely motivated.  Bonus would be “low profile,” or ability to displace in the urban environment.  Maybe a bonus when attacked in an urban hex.

Russian Partisan.  1942
    The early defeats of the Red Army made it a necessity for anyone of able body to fight the invader.  The Partisans were especially hated by the Wermacht because of their activities such as train derailing and unexpectedly showing up.

Shinshu Militia.  1945
    Okay, this one’s fictional, but the Japanese people were as indoctrinated with loyalty to the Emperor as much as their cities were designed as defense structures.  The fictional part about this is that there was no ground assault on the Japanese homeland, due in large part to the unrelenting fanatacism of the people, and a lonfanaticismof fighting over and for Shinshu (or the ultra nationalist name for Japan, “Land of the gods”).

• The best way to do things like this would be to start bringing morale checks into the game. Shock troops would be forcing the enemy to make morale checks, irregulars would be resistant somewhat, and normal infantry would be… normal. I dunno. Introducing morale checks into the game would severely complicate the game above and beyond the the simple game we have now. Then you’d be heading into the realm of real tabletop wargames as opposed to a glorified boardgame.

-=Grim=-

• To go about that, maybe instead of having individual unit morale, they can have a general morale scale.  It would be a sliding marker on a bar with half a side green and the other gray.  That would be to represent overall troop morale, and it would be based on number of points lost by having lost units, key points on the map, and so on.  For alternate scenarios, like attack and defend, morale would be shifted heavily in the defender’s favor, but would plummet if a major point is taken.

That’s just IF morale came into it all though.  The tactical usages of Shock troops and Guerrillas are enough to warrant their use.

• You forgot Yugoslavian Partisans.  They’d basically be Kuonmintang Riflemen without the SA drawback, and they should get a +1 DEF when defending hills.

As for morale, you can get around that by having lower defensive values and using the SA from said Chinese Riflemen.  When any irregular gets a face-up disrupted counter, destroy it immediately.

• Right now I was just putting forward ideas for the nations that already are in the game, but if they include Croats under other Axis nations then I’m all for Serb Partisans.

• I’m wondering if  each unit should have a Morale rating. At the end of each Casualty Phase you roll 2d6 and have to score lower than the rating else you break morale and run for the nearest table edge. of course, there’d have to be a Rally Phase added before movement. The Morale rating would be affected by things such as killed units in adjacent or same hexes as the unit, leaders killed, stuff like that. Likewise, Rallying would be affected by having leader in the same or adjacent hex or moving into cover from an open space.

Yes, it would complicate the game a bit, but it’d still be a simpler game than most tabletop WWII games. The core A&AM game is so rules lite that adding some new rules will not burden the system down (unless you’re not into tabletop war games; I am so I’m all for extra rules). Then again, I’m the guy that’s writing up rules for off-table artillery being called in (Mmmm, Brits and French with their rolling barrages), so it’s no suprise that I want Morale too.

-=Grim=-

• I was thinking something similar to what you guys are saying.  Me and my friend were talking about interesting units that can possilbly make the game a twist.  I mentioned the idea of a “Propaganda Truck”, in which we said that if enemys are in a certain radius of it….you have to roll for it to either have a positive or negative effect.  We really didnt discuss what a positive or a negative effect would be…however a good idea would probaly be a +1 on attack die for a positive effect and -1 on attack die for a negative effect.  We also said that it could help your own units as well.  Seems like a good idea to me, although I dont think theyll actually make something like that.  :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m