• The famous Japanese first turn where by everyone defends against Japan with a die role of 1 excluding China. This first turn is important and basically can decide the rest of the game.

What does everyone do on Japans first turn I am curious do you take anything and everything of Ipc value or do you take strategic points such as islands with ports on them or do you simply aim at annihlating the enemy navies or do you do a bit of each.

I personally aim at annihlating the enemy fleets and capturing anything of ipc value. The only side affect of my tactic is the allies approach me extremely fast via the sea ports that I never captured.

Any ideas or helpfull hints?

• Well, there have been lots of posts about this already, the only thing I would add to my previous posts is that the Japanese player should position the most powerful portions of the fleet in such a manner that not only can they not be sunk by the allies in their counterattack turn one, but should also be able to consolidate turn 2 or 3 at the latest. My best success as Japan has always included a massive combined navy to bleed the allied navies dry as the assault on India grinds forward.

• There are two different ways you could do the first turn. First, you could try to capture a lot of land, and get 40 economy by the end of turn 1. Or, you could do it smarter. Take out those big threats, The American fleets at Hawaii and the Phillips., the British fleets at Java and the lesser islands.

Personally, I find too may people try the former, and only the better players do the latter.

• HEY YANNI, YOU CAN DO BOTH. THERE IS NO REASON THAT JAPAN CAN’T GET TO FORTY IPC AND DESTROY ALL IMMEDIATE NAVAL THREATS. FOLLOWING TURN 1 JAPAN BLOCKS THE REMAINING BRIT FLEET FROM JOINING SUPPORT SHIPS AND THE UK IS EFFECTIVLY CUT OFF. THE ONLY POSSIBILITY OF VICTORY FOR THE ALLIES UNDER STANDARD RULES IS TO PREPARE FOR A FULL SCALE INVASION OF JAPAN. ALL JAPAN HAS TO DO IS FALL BACK SLOWLY AND HOLD A FOOTHOLD ON THE MAINLAND GAME OVER. THIS IS WHY VP’S HAVE GOT TO GO . AND TO THE GUY WILLING TO GIVE UP HAWAII, AUSTRALIA ETC. ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? HAWAII GIVES JAPAN A BASE OF OPERATIONS TO FLY SORTIES INTO U.S. AIRSPACE AND STAGE AN INVASION OF WESTERN U.S. . JUST WHY DID YOU THINK PEARL WAS SUCH A BIG DEAL NOT JUST THE LOSS OF FLEET MUSCLE BUT WITHOUT THE VICTORY AT MIDWAY THE DOOR TO CALIFORNIA WAS LEFT BANGIN IN THE BREEZE. NOT A GOOD IDEA.AN ALLIED VICTORY IS BASED ON HARASSMENT BY THE BRITISH FORCING THE JAPANESE TO SPLIT THEIR FLEETS9 MOBILITY IS THE ONLY REAL MILITARY TACTIC TO USE SINCE INTELIGENCE IS MEANINGLESS BECAUSE WE CAN SEE ALL THAT IS IN PLAY WHICH WOULD BE A WARRIORS WET DREAM (READ PREDATOR DRONE). MAKE YOUR ENEMY REACT TO YOU AND THE GAME IS YOURS , WHICHEVER ONE YOUR PLAYING.

• OW! He yelled that so loud it hurt my eyes reading it. everything became fuzzy and my head felt like it was spinnin’.
    Do continue the exchange, but, please, speak softly! I’m in great agony.
    –---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Whoa, boy! - Xi

• Oh I LOVED it the one time my opponent took the bait and invaded Hawaii. I let him keep it and bombed the living #@&* out of it every turn. He ended the game with no money and no VP, or was headed in that direction anyway. Japan can try to take advantage and bomb Hawaii, but should never invade.

• If you can see me yelling YOUR SITTING TO CLOSE TO YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN. Truly I had now idea my thoughts would appear so enormous on the screen they usually only do so in my own head.

• Ha, it would seem like both sides don’t want Hawaii. It’s only a heartbeat away from American bombers and the Japanese can bomb IPCs out of it every turn, though I suspect they’ll have more important things to do.

• Ummm… Japanses strat bomb Hawaii? Only if there aren’t any fighters there. Not a particularly good bet.

Anyway, for me one issue is whether or not to take New Britain and/or New Guinea. If the Allies station aircraft in New Britain, they dominate the mid-Pacific; and forcing them to try to take it back, because of the potential threat to Australia, means less British effort is spent on recapturing Indonesia.

• Only bomb Hawaii if you can provide some decent fighter support. The problem is that most should be used in South East Asia.

• On 2002-06-09 11:02, TG Moses VI wrote:
    Only bomb Hawaii if you can provide some decent fighter support. The problem is that most should be used in South East Asia.

No argument here.
    –-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “If you build it you are scum!” - name that misquote.

• forgive my ignorance (i have just played Pac for the first time yesterday), but where in the rules does it say that everyone defends against Japan in turn 1 with a 1??

• as I was….pg 14 sry.

• Nice recovery, u_g.
    –---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The purpose of our war is victory, not peace, not compromise. - Xi

• I think you missed the point.Once USA loses Hawaii they lose the ability to place unlimited replacements on the Island,being limited to only 2 pieces.

• Yanny, I just can’t see how Japan gets an income of 40 on turn #1. The only way to get 4 VPs is to have an income of 40 to 49. At best, you get to 30-31 on turn 1 and perhaps in the low 40s for round 2,3 and a good chance of 4 more on round 4. If you can get 4 more by sacrificing a few transports on round 5 then you should be able to get 3 more on round 6, you win the game before the US and the Brit player ever use their builds from round 5 since they don’t get to do their round 6. It’s more likely Japan needs just 1 more round to get 1-2 more VPs. A cake walk. If for some reason the US loses hawaii, they can obviously recapture it with ease and will still get unlimited builds once they start a round with ownership of the IC.

BB

• I still don’t see how the Japs can get 40 IPC after turn #1. I love it when people say “such and such a country should do this” and yet never show how it is done. Well I think the US should just invade Japan and then they win, but then again the Japs should just invade India and Australia and then they win, except the brits will build subs and crush the Japs so really they win. Makes best attempt to keep a serious look on his face

BB

• Hold up. I need some clarification here.

Unlimited builds? In Hawaii? I thought the USA could only build 2 units per turn there, including navy….

• The US starts out with an IC there so yes, all original factories provide for unlimited production.

BB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m