And Now a Word From Our Hollywood or Politician Idiots …

• @Ozone27:

Just the liberals? How about: “Hollywood actors are complete idiots”?

… Some of what Woody Harrelson said I agree with, but it doesn’t change the fact that he will never be President; …

Correct me if I’m wrong…

Hmmm … Why do i have to think of Ronald Reagan at the moment?

• @Soon_U_Die:

This is perhaps the most asinine thing I have read in years. If this is evidentiary of your powers of reasoning…I think I’ll just put you on permanent ‘ignore’.

What does asinine mean?

BTW: You are likely so confused as to not realize the origins of your US fights, UN feeds, EU pays comment. This originally sarcastically meant that the US had to do all the real work, while the Europeans took the easy way out and wrote cheques. This is not a pro EU comment, quite the contrary. But then again, you probably don’t undertsand the history of NATO either. No matter, like so many phrases this one is subject to revisionist actions to make you feel better.

Yes, i did not know about the origins of that saying. Even if meant sarcastically, i still think it is a fitting description of the situation.
    For the “easy way out”: Well, where do you take the money from to refill your arsenals? For me going in somewhere, beating the cr*p out of them, that is the “simple” way, when you count on short campaigns. But then brooming up the litter left and rebuilding it, that is more complicated, as you have to think of the people, how the situation that had to be cleaned up arose and how you can make sure it doesn’t happen again etc. You need to understand the culture, sentiments etc. of the people there.

Put me on your permanent ignore if you want, i can stand it. Accuse that i can’t reason, i can stand that as well. You can even keep up insulting me, with nice rethorics around, i don’t mind that either.
    I do respect you for your knowledge on A&A. Nothing more.

• US Rep. Marcy Kaptur, D-OH,
    on why the US should not attack Iraq, said,

One could say that Osama bin Laden and these non-nation-state fighters with religious purpose are very similar to those kind of atypical Revolutionaries that helped cast off the British Crown.”

I don’t think so, Marcy! The American Revolutionaries ‘fought for freedom’ and ‘against taxation without representation.’ However, the Muslim Fundamentalist Extremists are fighting for Islamic Theocratic State’s Rule in the Middle East, and the destruction of Israel and the United States(from the speeches of ObL.)

• Although the goals of the groups are vastly different, the means of fighting are incredibly similar.

• You invented the burning of the flag. The point she was making is the following:
    Are you proud of symbols of something or the act of something?
    Something could be “freedom to live life like you want” etc.
    It’s not the flag that makes the USA, it’s just a piece of cloured cloth. It’s the ideas behind that flag that make the US: freedom, liberty etc. And she is proud to see that these values still exist.

Yes, but since you cannot see those ideals, the flag REPRESENTS them. So, I would argue that if you don’t believe in the flag, then you also don’t believe in America and what it stands for–because that flag is a direct representation and symbol of America.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

Yes, but since you cannot see those ideals, the flag REPRESENTS them. So, I would argue that if you don’t believe in the flag, then you also don’t believe in America and what it stands for–because that flag is a direct representation and symbol of America.

I think you can see those ideals by actions. That’s what she said IMHO: The actions are more important than the symbol to show that the ideals are still alive.

• The guy who puts a flag outside his door thinks he is patriotic, the guy who volunteers to help is country is patriotic.

The flag is nothing more than a symbol. It means nothing. Patriotism is measured by actions. Patriotism cannot be measured by a piece of cloth.

• You’re wrong. :(

Not everyone can afford to take time to help their country. Does that mean they’re not patriotic? No.
    What about the two parents who work 40 hours a week to put their kids through a good education, and can’t afford to join the peace-corps? The next best thing they can do to show their support for our country is to wave the flag.

• You’re wrong. :(

Not everyone can afford to take time to help their country. Does that mean they’re not patriotic? No.
    What about the two parents who work 40 hours a week to put their kids through a good education, and can’t afford to join the peace-corps? The next best thing they can do to show their support for our country is to wave the flag.

Does it mean they are unpatriotic? No. But what does waving a flag do? Diddly Squat. You don’t need to enlist to prove they are patriotic? No. However, volunteering at your local Red Cross once a month, offering to help the Boy Scouts/Pansy Female Scouts, Helping out at a food kitchen, ect. These are actions, not meaningless expressions.

• Tell that to my nephew in Kuwait.

He has seen CNN’s coverage of the Anti-War, Anti-Bush, Anti-America Rallies(FOXNEWS is not so easy to get there yet.) This is the way they perceive the news because they know the organizations(and their background) which helped set them up. But, they take this as Anti-Soldier(or Anti-Fill in the Military of Your Choice.)
    The personnel in my nephew’s unit would like to see one American raising a flag, but all they see is protest!
    CNN has not covered the Support the Troops, Pro-America, Support the President Rallies, though I hear they will cover the one in Atlanta on Saturday since it will be on CNN’s doorstep(and they fear some other news scooping them there.)

I attended a Support the Troops, Pro-America, Support the President Rally in Cincinnati today. All the local stations covered it, but I saw no mention on the networks(I channel surfed the network news and might have missed it, but I doubt it.) We had over 3,000 there with just a few days notice(and no world wide soviet communist network to plan it for months in advance.) My nepew’s unit already has digitized photos of the rally taken by my sister-in-law.

As my nephew said in his last e-mail, “Most servicemen recognize that patriots come in different forms, just like taxpayers, voters, and citizens.”

• Yanny, you don’t have to do JACK CRAP to prove you’re a patriot. All you have to do is believe it! I know that sounds phony, but take the definition of “patriotism” for example:

patriotism: Love of and devotion to one’s country.

Okay, so where does the requirement of community service come in with that? So…if you love your country, then BY DEFINITION…you are a patriot, whether you agree with it or not…

• Why did the change from “the ideals a country stands for” to “patriotism” happen?
    Is it more important to love the ideals or to love the country? If you take the IMHO narrow definition of patriotism, then the ideals are not as important, then of course it becomes understandable that the flag plays a bigger role than the ideals.

• Yanny, you don’t have to do JACK CRAP to prove you’re a patriot. All you have to do is believe it! I know that sounds phony, but take the definition of “patriotism” for example:

Did I say you were unpatriotic to just sit back and pay your taxes? No. However, waving a flag is doing nothing for your country. Patriotism is sacrificing time and energy for the greater good of your country.

Okay, so where does the requirement of community service come in with that? So…if you love your country, then BY DEFINITION…you are a patriot, whether you agree with it or not…

Loving your country but sitting back and doing nothing? Then your a lazy patriot. I love this country, and I go above and beyond the normal requirements of my citizenship to help and aid the welfare of the entire country. Thats patriotism.

• Emphasis added by Xi

Co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream,
    Ben Cohen said,
    On September 4, 2001, seven days before the 9/11, the following “enemy wanted” online ad, sarcastically making the point that the U.S. has no enemies was posted by Ben Cohen:

ENEMY WANTED. Serious enemy needed to justify Pentagon budget increase. Defense contractors desperate. Interested enemies send letter and photo or video (threatening, ok) to Enemy Search Committee, Priorities Campaign, 1350 Broadway, NY, NY, 10018.”

He continued:
    “Here’s the deal: We know our politicians have their work cut out for them. They need to find an enemy to justify maintaining the Pentagon budget as if the Cold War never ended. But the pool of credible enemies is evaporating. North Korea is even going diplomatic. The Soviets took themselves out of the running years ago. And countries like Iraqor tough looking trading partners like China – don’t make the cut.”

Hmmm…North Korea going diplomatic?
    Iraq doesn’t make the cut?
    Stick to Ice Cream, Ben.

Source: www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11427

Ben Cohen is no longer with Ben & Jerry’s. He is now founder of True Majority. You can contact him at his web site: www.truemajority.org

• From newsmax.com

ABC is receiving phone, mail and e-mail complaints about a show it is considering. The main character would be played by Janeane Garofalo. The premise of the show involves a “60 Minutes”-style TV news program, with Garofalo playing a producer.

Meanwhile, Garofalo is so unpopular that Miss USA did not want to pose for pictures with her. The New York Post reports that as Miss USA Susie Castillo was being guided into a photo shoot with Garofalo, Castillo’s publicist cried: “Not with Janeane! Not with Janeane! [Miss USA] can’t get caught up in her politics.”(Smart Miss USA.)

Apparently, even after witnessing the overwhelming reception the Iraqi people gave the coalition forces, Garofalo refuses to apologize for her actions. “I have nothing to apologize for,” the comedic actress told Malzberg.

Back on March 6, Bill O’Reilly asked Garofalo, “If you are wrong… and if the United States - and they will, this is going to happen - goes in, liberates Iraq [with] people in the street, American flags, hugging our soldiers … you gonna apologize to George W. Bush?”

Garofalo replied: “I would be so willing to say, ‘I’m sorry.’ I hope to God that I can be made a buffoon of, that people will say, ‘You were wrong. You were a fatalist.’ And I will go to the White House on my knees on cut glass and say, ‘Hey, you and Thomas Friedman were right … I shouldn’t have doubted you.’”

The Left Coast Report believes when Garofalo wished to God that she would be “made a buffoon of,” it looks as if she got exactly what she wished for. Now about that apology …

Anybody else want to donate some broken glass? :)

• LOL. :P

It’s amazing to see how much credibility all these actors and actresses have lost as a result of being on the wrong side of this issue. :wink:

• I’m amazed that we even give them a voice. There have to be a million lawyers, doctors, teachers, nurses, accountants, etc. more qualified than these people with something to say more profound than these people, with more of a right to be heard.

• So true, CC. The people who talk the loudest are the people who know the least. Why haven´t we heard as much from people who actually know what´s been going on in Iraq.

Every time I saw someone protesting the war (when it was still going on), I couldn´t help but think: “There is someone who is pro-torture.” Where were these protesters during all the decades when Saddam was raping his people?

• @morten200:

So true, CC. The people who talk the loudest are the people who know the least. Why haven´t we heard as much from people who actually know what´s been going on in Iraq.

Every time I saw someone protesting the war (when it was still going on), I couldn´t help but think: “There is someone who is pro-torture.” Where were these protesters during all the decades when Saddam was raping his people?

Yea, it’s interesting to count how many Iraqi exiles are in that crowd of anti-war protesters. :P

• @morten200:

So true, CC. The people who talk the loudest are the people who know the least. Why haven´t we heard as much from people who actually know what´s been going on in Iraq.

UGGGGG!!!
    i felt like i just got punched in the stomach. Except it was a stupid punch to the brain.
    Calling me “pro-torture” is . . . well, ignorant at best, rude hateful and mean at worst. This line of reasoning is akin to me saying "anyone who is in favor of some kind of action in Iraq is a racist pro-baby killing sociopath. Is it true? No, of course not. But i could draw a very thin (nearly invisible thread) between actions in Iraq resulting in civilian deaths and a racist policy of killing babies - just as you have drawn the thread between people who wish to see a change by a mechanism other than war, and people wishing torture upon others.
    I know that you are not stupid, so i will go with the possibility that you have had as much (or less) sleep than i. That will make me feel better about statements like this.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m