• @Jazz:

Also 2 people do not make for statistical significance generally.

Dont recall saying that it did, just stating something.

Seems like if everyone who should have cancer did, there would be alot more dead people out there.

1. sorry - too many people apply anecdotal evidence as statistically demonstrated stats - my bad.
    2. 20-30 years ago, a diagnosis of most cancers was a death sentance. we’ve made AMAZING jumps in treatment of many cancers. Invasive late-stage (and metastatic) cancers . . . well, lung cancer is too often one of those, and then its not too long . . . . Check out a paliative care unit one day. Have a chat with some of those guys (and girls) with lung cancer. Many MANY anecdotes.

• I personally have never heard of someone getting cancer from it

what? because you personally have never heard of it doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. ive never met someone who smokes crack, so it must not be real. come on, its a proven fact that smoking=cancer! and if you wanna smoke in your home, thats your right, but anyone who smokes around children should be shot. im serious. that is just as much child abuse as hitting, even more so because you are killing your child. who may one day smoke because of your example. of course, youll be dead and miss it, but it will happen. i think we should be nice to smokers, however, as long as they realize that it is a harmful activity, and are respectful of MY rights. smokers rights should never supercede nonsmokers rights, and as long as you understand that, we can be friends. sorry, i feel sort of strongly about this.

• @cystic:

ahhh the classic distraction of the smoker who refuses to look at himself as having a problem - blame the other guy syndrome. Divert the issue by talking about alcohol/obesity/sunblock in a classic smokescreen to divert the issue. In the issue i brought up, the health inspector is treating public establishments (pubs/restaurants, etc.) which allow smoking in the same vein as those which supply poison water. Although i hate walking near someone who smokes outside, i have to concede that it will be a while until these people are killed/quit smoking etc.

Well, i see myself as having a problem. I have an nicotine addiction, i tried to quit two times now, both didn’t work that long. To get back to your issue:I don’t mind not to smoke in closed buildings, and i would say that this health inspector is a bit overshooting: You don’t have to go to a pub that let’s other people smoke etc., but you have to use water quite a lot each day, without much choice of the supplier.

• @Yanny:

Falk, theres a difference between Smoking and being Drunk.

Killing someone while drunk (driving) is illegal. You can be criminally punished for it. Killing someone while smoking (Cancer) is impossible to punish.

Good point. I’ll take that :)…

1. sorry - too many people apply anecdotal evidence as statistically demonstrated stats - my bad.

Sadly it’s often easier to convince people with anecdotal evidence that with real numbers.

• @F_alk:

@cystic:

ahhh the classic distraction of the smoker who refuses to look at himself as having a problem - blame the other guy syndrome. Divert the issue by talking about alcohol/obesity/sunblock in a classic smokescreen to divert the issue. In the issue i brought up, the health inspector is treating public establishments (pubs/restaurants, etc.) which allow smoking in the same vein as those which supply poison water. Although i hate walking near someone who smokes outside, i have to concede that it will be a while until these people are killed/quit smoking etc.

Well, i see myself as having a problem. I have an nicotine addiction, i tried to quit two times now, both didn’t work that long. To get back to your issue:I don’t mind not to smoke in closed buildings, and i would say that this health inspector is a bit overshooting: You don’t have to go to a pub that let’s other people smoke etc., but you have to use water quite a lot each day, without much choice of the supplier.

1. Nicotine addiction. This should take you about 5-7 serious tries to overcome. Many people can’t do i alone (i.e. they need drugs/support groups/hypnotism, etc.)
    2. You don’t have to go into the pub, but if that pub has water or beer that is tainted with toxins, or if it pumped fumes into the atmosphere, you can be certain that (in Canada at least, and i’m guessing in Germany too) a health inspector will close the place down until it corrects. Why should this not be the same with smoking?

• @cystic:

1. You don’t have to go into the pub, but if that pub has water or beer that is tainted with toxins, or if it pumped fumes into the atmosphere, you can be certain that (in Canada at least, and i’m guessing in Germany too) a health inspector will close the place down until it corrects. Why should this not be the same with smoking?

Well, if the health inspector finds the toxins becuase of the smokers, then it’s fine for me :)
    Or else: you have to limit the number of “smokers at a time” to keep the tar etc. values below a certain threshold…. or bribe the inspector ;)…
    Or: as a smoker, you could buy smoking time from non-smokers (just as the US want to buy the allowance to emit more CO2 from third world countries). :D

Serious: I don’t mind if i am not allowed to smoke inside a pub. but be sure, that a considerable number of persons will then produce a smoke screen at the entrance.

• :( Im a nurse and i think smoking should not be aloud anywhere! i have taken care of all kinds of patients that have smoked in there lives and from smoking some have lung cancer -and other types of cancer that have to do with smoking. I dont smoke and i dont want lung cancer b/c all the other stupid idiots smoke thats why i want everywhere to be smoke free. its just like when women are pregnant and the smoke that smoke also goes straight to the babys lungs and thats not right for a baby to suffer b/c the parent wants there lungs to be full of it. and smoking also causes SIDS in babys when you smoke around a baby it effects there breathing and i know this b/c i went to nursing school and iam a nurse.

• @goldmoon:

:( Im a nurse and i think smoking should not be aloud anywhere! i have taken care of all kinds of patients that have smoked in there lives and from smoking some have lung cancer -and other types of cancer that have to do with smoking. I dont smoke and i dont want lung cancer b/c all the other stupid idiots smoke thats why i want everywhere to be smoke free. its just like when women are pregnant and the smoke that smoke also goes straight to the babys lungs and thats not right for a baby to suffer b/c the parent wants there lungs to be full of it. and smoking also causes SIDS in babys when you smoke around a baby it effects there breathing and i know this b/c i went to nursing school and iam a nurse.

All true. There is a woman in Canada who is making the rounds. She is a waitress who never smoked a day in her life, however she unwittingly chose her job over her health. Should we be forcing millions of employees to do the same?
    And if i ever go into pediatrics, i would seriously consider having a parent who smokes around their child charged with child abuse. Allergies, asthma, psoriasis, and many other inflammatory diseases in children (and adults) are associated with being raised by parents who smoked in the house. SHAME!! :evil:

• @cystic:

i do have a problem with them setting themselves on fire and walking into a public place, and i think that ought to be banned . . . .

What, are you going to fine them?

• @yourbuttocks:

@cystic:

i do have a problem with them setting themselves on fire and walking into a public place, and i think that ought to be banned . . . .

What, are you going to fine them?

well, i was going to add a “:D” afterwards, and then i realized that it’s kind of a tragic event, especially given that a friend recently died in a house fire, so i don’t know what to do with that comment i made now. Originally it was just a tongue-in-cheek response to a suicide post earlier.
    I guess fining their families might work. This would go along with my potential philosophy of executing the families of terrorists . . . (mostly joking . . . mostly)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m