• ok ok, your right

but i’ll still use that strat agansit my freinds because they dont know about the syria/egypt guy to india and russia never jelps them and the us peple in china just sit there so my strat works in that suchuation

• thanks Zero,
    You know, it’s reasoning like that that makes being defeated by you a less troubling pill to swallow.

• I am having a couple of problems with your strat.
    Although i’m not the type to send russia planes down south - i like them for territory exchange, at the same time, i don’t see how you are committing such a mighty airforce to karelia while leaving the UK navy alone. Esp w/ your trn not providing any cannon fodder in the north sea. You’re looking at what - a sub and maybe 1 bird vs. the BB, 2 trns and a sub? While your sub attacks LAB alone? At the end of this, the North sea is looking very allied friendly - you’re right then. Screw the IC - i have a navy in NOR and my ipcs are going into trns. Esp if i can drag my GIB bb up to the North. Heck - bringing those planes down south might just be the draw i need for Germany to do something like that.
    As for the US presence being eliminated in Asia - big deal. They’ll hurt the Japs, but they’ll provide the Ind IC 2 rounds of resting time before they have to worry about any credible threat. If i have not NOR navy, then i’m building 2 inf, and 1 ftr/turn in IND, and sending whatever other forces i can there. The Japs won’t take it for a while.
    Also with the “mutual destruction at Pearl Harbor” - i’m thinking of building up my WCO navy. Drop a few GI’s in SFE while the Russians plummet Manchuria. Maybe take some birds over there and prey on loose Jap navy.
    I like the idea of your bird sac in KAR, but i don’t see it helping much. Plus you’re going to use it all over the show - retaking FIN - if you choose to. If not they are simply a menacing threat over Russia, but one that can be tolerated well.
    With respect to Africa - well, you and i both know that AES is a tricky prospect. Pray that the sub does nothing to your boats. Your BB can’t provide it’s bombardment, and you have no birds going south, so you are relying on your 1 arm, 3 inf vs. 1 arm and 1 inf (if i remember correctly). Groovy odds, you prolly take it w/ loss of maybe 1 inf or so. The US can then dump troops into Africa ad nauseum as there is no German bird worry. Yeah, that 13 troops is a little disconcerting that round, but the UK, US and Rus will then have about 4-6 places to hit Germany without fear of a retaliation that won’t cost Germany a tank or 3.
    Having said all of this, i appreciate your thinking on the matter, and it would be interesting to see this played out.

You can afford to let Russian troops continue East if Moscow falls in rd2 or 3, more cash for Ger. Highly unlikely but that appears to be the play, go quick for Moscow. If you take it by rd3, no worries for Ger.
    You can go 2 subs and 2 planes to UK sz (risky-but doable), with remaining planes (4) to Kar, or 2 subs 3 planes to UK sz (with 3 planes still going to Kar), or the 2 subs 2 planes (to UK) and go 1 bom to E Can sz and STILL send 3 ftrs to Kar. With no russian ftrs in Kar it is takeable with up to 4 inf and 7 arm - sacrificing planes. You can even bypass AES and go SE to Cauc with BB shot and now your looking at 1-3 inf and 7 arm in Kar and 2 inf in Cauc, UK sz cleared (assume Lab trn was left), 4 inf and 2 arm in EE (arm to goto Moscow). Very bad for Moscow. Let the Allies take WE (you transported those men to Kar) and you counter with a 9 inf 1 arm buy to retake WE.
    You can send 2-5 inf and 9 arm plus 1-2 planes (inf you have them) to Moscow on rd2. With 2 subs, 2 ftrs, and 1 bom to UK sz on G1 - you’ll probably only lose the subs leaving 3 planes for a moscow attack on G2.
    This is very risky but still could be doable esp if those Russian troops take the open Man or continue to move East.

Actually CC, you wanna play out this scenerio?
    I noticed you were looking for a game, and I have time to kill while Emu and Zero play. I was just going to wait out their game but it would be kind of fun to play this out. It would be sort of a “fixed” game since it is predetermined what Rus, Ger, and UK will do in RD 1 but after that it would be interesting. Russia must move ftrs, Ger must attack Kar and UK sz, and UK must build IC. It would prolly be a quick game.
    Let me know what ya think, or I might be up for a “real” game too if you’re still looking.

• @DarthMaximus:

Actually CC, you wanna play out this scenerio?
    I noticed you were looking for a game, and I have time to kill while Emu and Zero play. I was just going to wait out their game but it would be kind of fun to play this out. It would be sort of a “fixed” game since it is predetermined what Rus, Ger, and UK will do in RD 1 but after that it would be interesting. Russia must move ftrs, Ger must attack Kar and UK sz, and UK must build IC. It would prolly be a quick game.
    Let me know what ya think, or I might be up for a “real” game too if you’re still looking.

Sure i’m down.
    You better take the Axis, 'cuz i have no idea how to play Germany in this scenario - how to scatter my fighters, etc. I can take the Axis and my bid of 8 and try this out, but vs. Zero i had some problems. At the same time i would like to try to redeem myself as an Axis player.
    Meet me in the “games section” in my “whore” ad.
    cc

• The Indian IC may be used as a delaying tactic by the British player. Taking Russian planes to defend it does not sound like a good idea to me. By turn 2/3 I believe this IC would be overwhelmed by troops coming from Japan proper or possibly one of the islands. A further point pulling men out of Africa to defend this territory does not sound like a good idea as well. Would it be better to just wait until there is no more German navy in the med and wipe out the men in Africa and build an IC in Egypt?

• I’ve run through the odds with Soon_U_Die’s strategy and they don’t look so good. The rolls on the AA and defense in general have to go their way and that UK transport had better be sunk. Keeping the seven armor and two infantry is very iffy unless all planes have been sent and shot down. Even then, it just falls within the odds.

Even allowing for nine units left, the UK and Russian counter attacks can take back Karelia. Assuming a sunk transport, the UK will have 2 infantry, 2 fighters, a bomber, and an offshore. We’ll round up for UK, so that’s 3 hits first turn. Germany hits back for 3. Second round, UK hits 2 more, and then the planes go down. Germany has four armor left. The four Russian armor then enter stage right. Ouch.

If the Allies fail to retake Karelia, I’ve got UK and US navies with no defense to worry about and plenty of territories to take over.

Now it should be apparent that this is all a crap shoot. Germany has got to roll at least at odds or slightly above the whole way through. If for some reason Karelia had few troops defending, I might go for it. Otherwise, it’s just too risky.

• Getting by on odds is iffy to me. It’s not a good move to move the fighters, but I don’t like the positions even if Germany is successful with an all out attack. I’ll try it out sometime though to see how the later turns come out.

• i am convinced that I can take out the indian IC by turn 2, assuming that it is armed with 6 inf. and 1 plane. 1 turn china got destroyed so no US troops to help you!

• That’s a poor assumption GeZe.

• @Soon_U_Die:

Yikes…Indian ICs :)
    First, and most important…NEVER, EVER, make the decision to build an IC prior to the German turn.

Agreed! However that would have made my original post dull if the Axis made an Indian IC impractical.

Second, I am ignoring the Gibraltar BB, period.

Third, I am attacking either the Lab tranny or the NorthSea AS WELL AS KARELIA, depending on the Russian fleet.

Fourth, against the Russkies in Karelia, I am sending 11 inf, not 10 (2 via tranny), the 7 arm, and either 4, 5 or 6 air, depending whether I go for Syria or not, and depending upon the Russian fleet. Either way, one of the UK trannies is going to die.

Fifth, I am going to take Karelia with 9 or more ground units. Pay attention…I am going to sacrifice Air units, yes Air units, to ensure that I have at least 9 ground units. All seven Arm and at least 2 Inf.

Sixth, I am building either 4/4 or 6 arm depending on whim.

Lets assume that Russkie fleet went to NorthSea, so LabSz gets attacked, and 4/4 was built. Assuming fairly regular results, a quite probable result is this.

WE: 1 Inf
    Ger: 3 Inf, 4 Arm, 1 Ftr

EE: 4 Inf, 2 Arm
    Karelia: 2 Inf, 7 Arm
    Ukr: vacant
    SE: 2 Inf, 1 Bomber
    AES: 2 Inf, 1 Arm (assuming no bid, and Syria not attacked).
    FWA: 1 Inf
    Algeria, Libya, FEA: vacant
    EMed: 1BB, 1 Sub
    LabSz: 1 sub
    BalticSz: 1 sub, 1 Tranny

Very bold indeed, and not without considerable risk to the Axis. One bad round in Karelia and the axis is in trouble. Granted I went a bit overboard on protecting India, but I wanting to show what was possible. If I leave just 1 Russian fighter in Karelia, your above plan is too risky for my blood. :o

What to do as UK now? Can’t take back AES, because you moved the Russkie Ftrs to India. Stuck with the original plan I guess. Build your IC, move your Syria Inf. Facing 9 or more in Karelia, and only 1 tranny, do you still want to waste your air to kill a couple of Inf, and maybe an Arm? Go for it :)

If Karelia falls G1, the Indian IC is canceled, always! At this point I take my GIB BB and build a fleet of TRN around the UK. If WE is weak I might try to take it. Otherwise I’ll wait until next round for a major assault. FIN will fall to UK or US. US will build to invade WE on US 2. All available fighters to MOSCOW. A defense of 9 INF, 4 ARM, 4 FTRs is possible. MOSCOW is threatened G2, but its a risky gambit for the Germans to attack. If they fail or succeed the game is over, but the risk is again to great for my blood.

It is Japans move. Buy an IC and Tranny. Ignore the Russian ground forces. Hit Sinkiang with 2 Inf, 1 Ftr, 1 Bomber, hit China with 4 Inf, and 2 Ftrs. Hit Pearl with 1 Ftr, 1 Sub, 1 BB.

Expected results:

Sinkiang: taken with 1 Inf
    China: taken with 1/2 Inf
    Pearl: mutual destruction

Hmm… Odds are even at Pearl. At the very least expect my sub to survive. I will head West of course. Manchuria is a walkin! :o

There is no JAP threat to MOSCOW, and there won’t be for 3 turns at least. :P

You now are in a terrible position as the Allies. You cannot defend both Russia and India.

But you are assuming I am building an IC in India which I am not.

On G2, the German builds 13 Inf, takes back WE (presumably) from the US and stacks 13 Arm and 9 Inf in Karelia (starting Karelia + EE + G1 Arm + G2 Inf in Karelia). Now the only way to hold Russia is to move every Russian unit back to Russia by end R3, and land every Allied Ftr. Swapping UK Ftrs and Russian tanks in multiple attacks on Karelia is a bad bad move unless you can actually take Karelia. A straight piece exchange diminishes the Allied defence in Russia.

By the end of R3 the Russians can have 17 INF, and 7 FTR (2 RUS, 3 UK, 2 US) in MOS. If G3 you attack Moscow, the Allies will win and your armor will be exposed or destroyed. If its exposed. Expect me to start killing it off. Assuming US2 I retake WE. The UK airforce and 6-8 inf will attack EEurope. The US will build an IC in WE if it looks feasible to hold, and begin pounding Germany on US4. Germany is now on the defensive. with its ARM cut off from supporting INF except for the 3INF per turn from the KAR IC. Germany must retake EEur giving up KAR, or it is doomed.

BTW, The German airfirce is gone, and nothing can hurt the Allied shipping pipeline. :o

Result: Germany has free run in Africa early, Japan gets free run in Asia and a free IC. The only downside is that Germany gives up the bulk of its air on G1.

Germany always has a free early run in Africa. :P Japan will not have a free IC because it was never built. Manchuria is now in enemy hands, and needs to be retaken 4 RUS INF, 4 ARM are in NOV ready to go north or south on R3 depending on what is needed. The Axis has overstretched itself on turn 1 and will need 2 turns to recover if it can.

These are my learning points:

don’t COMMIT to building an IC until After Germany moves

countering AES if you can is ALWAYS better than an IC

I agree 100% on waiting for an IC until after Germany moves.

AES is optional. I don’t see much point in trying to retake it if Germany has a strong G1 in Africa. Better to invade Africa from the West and retake it the historical way I think.

don’t leave an attack on Karelia that leaves the potential for no counter-attack and don’t underestimate the effectiveness of a G1 air sacrifice to do just this. You may think that costs Germany the game, but it does not if she can take and hold Karelia in force and gain Africa quickly and easily.

Your G1 air sacrifice is a bold plan and I did not expect it, but it is really, really risky. Is it really worth the risk. Wouldn’t Germany be better served by a more conservative strategy that preserves the threat/punch of its airforce?

if you insist on a UK IC, don’t commit both Russian Ftrs and the armour on R1. One or the other, or a little of both…but NOT ALL OF IT. That is massive overkill and ruins your position.

Agreed! I went overboard on the India defense. :oops: It would be easy enough to leave 1 FTR and a couple tanks behind and make the German Assualt of KAR on G1 completely impractical while still protecting the potential for a UK IC in India on UK1

Cheers!

• After playing some games, I tend to agree that an Indian IC by the UK doesn’t delay japan for long enough, and in fact speeds up japan quickly after they inevitably take it.

I’ll give you a scenario that I’ve faced in past games:

UK1: UK retreats 1 inf. from persia to india using the transport, leaving 3 inf., 2 fighters (assuming 1 russian fighter is moved into it)

J1: Japan attacks china, killing the US fighter and infantry, tranports all available infantry to kwangtung, lands fighters there, and builds a factory in it.

UK2: Builds 3 inf. leaving 6 inf, 2 fighters

J2: Builds 3 armor, leaving about 7 inf, 3 arm, 3 fighters.

UK3: Builds 3 inf, leaving 9 inf, 2 fighters

J3: Builds 3 armor, moves inf. into French into china, leaving 6 arm, 3 fighters in Kwangtung

UK4: Builds 3 inf, leaving 12 inf 2 fighters

J4: Japan attacks Kwangtung with 8 inf (7 from kwang, 1 from french-indo china) 6 arm, 3 fighters. Japan takes india with about, say, 3 armor.

In my opinion, this delay of japan is not significant enough to warrant an Indian IC. And keep in mind, the 3 tanks/turn is only about half of the Japanese income. During this time it is likely ferrying in troops from Japan,
    and making deep advances into asia and russia, possibly building a factory in manchuria to speed it up. Japan has really been delayed only slightly, as
    only two turns worth of armor have been diverted to capturing india.

UK could also opt to build tanks every turn, however, they would be easily counter attacked by the japanese forces in kwangtung, weaking the defense of india and forcing UK to spend more money every turn.

• @Anonymous:

That’s a poor assumption GeZe.

why?

• Hey all, I noticed a few days before the new year, that a certain player mentioned that If he lost the fall tourny…" I was not aware that A&A held tournys, if so, where are they held? Server? IP? Let me know

Thankz

BK

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m