• Russia has to push back the japs a bit whenever able, especially in the case without a british Ind IC. DO NOT let the japs taking Russian territories one by one smoothly.

• I like the hunker down strategy, however this includes trading UKR and EEU dead zones with German, forcing the Germans to spread its forces out a little bit more.
    With regards to Japan, i kind of curl up in a big ball and wimper.

• I like to use hit and run tactics against germany. By crippling their amount of inf they wont attack for fear of losing valuable units and i get replenished by the next inf stack in the conga line 8)

• I agree, Russia and the allies need to retake all territories around Moscow that can be taken, but take them light, play the trade game.

BB

• With the Ruskies i like to buy all tanks for the first 2-3 rounds (depending on Jerry attack rolls 1st and 2nd turn) to smash back the incoming Jerry infantry. This will usually frustrate the German player and force him to dedicate more troops for Russia and possibly leave France weak for Allied land assault. Becomes more effective with a few Brit fighters to help bolster the Russian lines.

• I think if the russians buy too many tanks and the Germans plays it safe and invest in infantry then at some point when doing the attack/defence math you will realize that you are going to get your ass kicked. I think Russia does need a few tanks but Russia always seems to be on the verge of collapse from turn 1 to 73 anyways :-)

BB

• The hunker down stragety just does not work if you are playing against a smart Axis team. Russia can be totally crippled in 6-8 rounds if both Germany and Japan attack hard. Besides, Russia can afford to attack Germany the first round because the Allies can fly in several fighters and ship in troops to help defend Karelia if needed. Russia should be able to take out the Ukraine and destroy some German troops with minimal losses and only place one infantry in the terrritiory in order to not lose any other troops. Russia would also receive 3 extra ipc’s and forces Germany to divert some forces to retake the territory back.

• It’s all great to only put 1 unit in a territory but you have to be able to capture it, and planning to capture it and have exactly 1 infantry left over is a bit risky but I hear what you’re saying.

The hunker down strategy shouldn’t mean don’t ever attack, if the odds are in your favour and you don’t risk losing on a counter attack by all means go.

I totally agree if you can take the Ukraine do so, but what if russia is restricted?

BB

• Good point. If Russia is restricted then the strategy becomes a little more conservative. In this case Russia must hold Karelia at all costs. If this means giving the Germans the Caucasus then so be it. It is helpful if Russia uses its transport to pick up some British infantry to help out the defense. The Causcasus should be defended but not with more than 6 or 7 infantry and definately with no tanks or fighters.

• The russian transport and sub should move in with the british battleship in the english sea zone, and it will meet the same fate when going russia restricted. Or, put the sub with the english fleet and the transport with the canadian transport. Make the german think about using only 1 ftr against 2 transports or should he use 2 ftrs, or a ftr and a bomber, or not at all. Oh the confusion!

• With Russia, attack Germany!!!

first round– typical 8 infantry buy for Karalia

attack easter europe – if this battle doen’t happen… it is the inevitable demise of USSR. the smart russian player will go with a passive/aggressive tacic… where Russia makes the first move. from here on in … its all about holding and fighting for eastern europe… and not holding and fighting for karalia.

the sacrafice
    Japan is walking in the back door… round one… fight in manchuria to delay Japan from moving in right away

this tactic is great if you have co-operative allied players… as USA MUST concentrate on keeping Japan busy, and UK Must keep Africa and support Russia in Karalia, and take Finland/Norway first round

With all going well… Germany is ready to fall just before Japan is ready to take Russia-- so Russia can fortify

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m