What Other Strategy Board Games Do You Recommend???

• Hi everyone,

I’m new to A&AE and have enjoyed playing it very much. I’ve recently been getting back to playing board games with family and friends.

All of us are in our late 20s and 30s. We prefer games that are more complex.

What other strategy board games do you recommend? The games don’t have to be war games.

I’ve just found out about that Eagle games company and see Civilization and a slew of others. Are these any good? Are they worth the $$$? Here in Canada, Civilization costs about $90-100 I think.

If anyone knows of any good business strategy games, that would be great too. I see Avalon Hill has a game called Acquire. This game worth shelling out for?

NOTE: At this time, I don’t have much interest in getting another A&A version or any other World War 1 or 2 board game by any other company. But I might be interested in a highly recommended Civil War type game.

Thanks for all reponses folks!

• there is some civilwar game by avalon hill, i think its called battlecry, or something like that

• i know you said u didnt want a WW1 or 2 game, but diplomacy is a very fun board game. it takes place in 1900 (so its not really WW1) and it has 7 european powers and there are no set alliances. you can make alliances, backstab, and the best part is that there are no dice. it’s like a game of free for all chess for 7 people

• Civ is a fun game. Takes awhile to play though.

Great games:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1259

• Check out Diplomacy as well…

• Has anybody played The American Civil War by Eagle games? I was looking at it the other day and it looks pretty good. If I get some good responses maybe I’ll pick it up.

• i havent heard of it

• Has anybody played The American Civil War by Eagle games? I was looking at it the other day and it looks pretty good. If I get some good responses maybe I’ll pick it up.

This is IMHO one of the best board games ever made. 8)
    Trust me, there is no shortage of fun or strategy here - I love it. :)

• Thanks TG Moses, I will probably pick that game up when we start to look for a new game to play. I also looked at Eagle’s website and like the look of the other games on there. I wonder what this Blitzkrieg & Bombers will be like?

• I might pick it up too.

• Yeah, I must say, at this rate Eagle Games makes the best board games around - even better then Avon Hill. :)

While your at it, be sure to check out Napoleon in Europe. Great game - not as good as Civil War, but you sure get your $'s worth. :)

• I dunno, they rush out a lot of their games half-finished.

• what other games do they make?

• Problem with Avalon hill games, they are almost all out of print.

• yeah i know. did they go bankrupt or something

• Heres the story with Avalon hill:

Hasbro sues Avalon hill (some copyright reason). Avalon hill loses. Avalon hill owner (not a public company), offers the company instead, since he cannot pay the large lawsuit. Hasbro agrees, and aquires Avalon hill.

• how long ago was that? was it before or after A&A europe and pacific came out?

• 2-3 years ago.

• I dunno, they rush out a lot of their games half-finished.

Like what? :-?

• @StrongBad1988:

what other games do they make?

Eagle games makes great board games.
    I have their American Civil War, Napolean in Europe and Civilization games. There all f…ing wicked. Nobody is even close.

The also have game called War! age of Imperialism, read the rules but haven’t played.
    The are in the process of making Age of Mythology into a board game.
    They also now have a WW2 game call Attack! thats nearly ready.
    Its sounds good, they have a write up on it on their web site.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m