Aircraft Retreating from a Destroyed Carrier

• 2007 AAR League

Had an interesting situation arise in which German naval units in the SZ just north of Algeria attacked an Allied fleet in the SZ bordering Algeria to the West. The Germans were simultaneously launching an amphibious assault on Allied-occupied Algeria. An Allied carrier carrying two fighters was destroyed in the naval battle in the SZ west of Algeria. This battle was rolled prior to the Algeria battle, and the only safe place for the Allied fighters to retreat to after the destruction of the carrier would have been Algeria. I assume that the Allied fighters would have to wait until the conclusion of the amphibious assault in Algeria to determine whether or not they could retreat there? Thanks.

• That is right.
    All combats are rolled first. Then Air units land in Non Combat; if there is no where to land (as in this situation), they are eliminated.

• Maybe I have overlooked the passage in the rulebook: Are fighters always able to land to an adjacent country/island if their carrier is destroyed (in the enemy’s combat phase)?

Thanks in advance!

• Yes - defending fighters can move 1 to reach a friendly territory or carrier.

• Ah, great to hear, thanks!

• '19 '17 '16

@sephiroth7707:

Maybe I have overlooked the passage in the rulebook: Are fighters always able to land to an adjacent country/island if their carrier is destroyed (in the enemy’s combat phase)?

Thanks in advance!

Only defending fighters. Not attacking ones.

• @simon33:

@sephiroth7707:

Maybe I have overlooked the passage in the rulebook: Are fighters always able to land to an adjacent country/island if their carrier is destroyed (in the enemy’s combat phase)?

Thanks in advance!

Only defending fighters. Not attacking ones.

Let’s say Japan attacks a US fleet that is in a SZ adjacent to a Japanese Pacific island. Japan attacks with an AC and two fighters and US defends with a cruiser and a destroyer. First roll Japan gets one hit and US gets two hits. Can Japan decide to lose the AC and a fighter and withdraw the other fighter to the adjacent island? Or does Japan have no choice and has to keep attacking?

• @Erocco:

Let�s say Japan attacks a US fleet that is in a SZ adjacent to a Japanese Pacific island. Japan attacks with an AC and two fighters and US defends with a cruiser and a destroyer. First roll Japan gets one hit and US gets two hits. Can Japan decide to lose the AC and a fighter and withdraw the other fighter to the adjacent island? Or does Japan have no choice and has to keep attacking?

A few points to note here:

1. The attacker can keep attacking, regardless of casualties, until such time as winning or deciding to retreat or having no units left.
    2. If the attacker retreats leaving the defender with too many fighters for any remaining ACs, then those DEFENDING fighters have 1 move to land - i.e. in a territory that is adjacent to the sz (such as an island within the sz) or to an adjacent sz with AC capacity available.
    3. The attacker, whether he wins or retreats, can complete each remaining ATTACKING fighters 4 moves to wherever they wish to land in the normal way.

• I guess I should’ve made it more clear. In my ‘made up scenario’ the attacking Japanese fighters and AC when they attacked the US cruiser and destroyer had already used all their moves. So the only safe place to land the fighter is the AC. But if the Japanese player decides to lose the AC can the Japanese fighter retreat to their adjacent island?

• @Erocco:

I guess I should of made it more clear. In my �made up scenario� the attacking Japanese fighters and AC when they attacked the US cruiser and destroyer had already used all their moves. So the only safe place to land the fighter is the AC. But if the Japanese player decides to lose the AC can the Japanese fighters retreat to their adjacent island?

No, it can’t - as the attacking fighter’s movement points are all spent. The ‘1-move’ applies only to defending stranded fighters, as Private Panic pointed out.

HTH :-)

• '19 '17 '16

So you’re saying an attacking fighter has moved 4 spaces to attack and the attack includes a CV which is its only landing spot, but the CV is taken as a hit and you then retreat? The fighter would be lost. So you wouldn’t do that. Take the fighter as a hit first and the CV lives to fight another day. Even if its only value is a 1/3 chance of hitting something.

• @simon33:

So you’re saying an attacking fighter has moved 4 spaces to attack and the attack includes a CV which is its only landing spot, but the CV is taken as a hit and you then retreat? The fighter would be lost. So you wouldn’t do that. Take the fighter as a hit first and the CV lives to fight another day. Even if its only value is a 1/3 chance of hitting something.

Thank you very much! It is all clear now.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m