• screenshot
    trip.JPG

• '12

You’re right.  A hammer is better than a screwdriver for driving nails into wood.

• Customizer

I think they are totally different types of programs.

While i want and appreciate more people to play using triplea.

I don’t really see there being a competition between aa battlemap and triplea.  (gto on the other hand, would be competition)

TripleA is a game engine.  It plays the game for you, enforces (most if not all) of the rules, rolls the dice, has automated play-by-email/forum features, etc.

AAbattleMap is more like a map utility that lets you put pieces on it.  It is good for some applications where you do not want the program to enforce or do things that a full game engine would do.

• the pieces that abattlemap are total crap

i cant believe someone cant come up with something better
    i cant even tell the difference alot of the times in which piece is which and they are are stacked on top of each other

not to mention no zoom

• '12

People who actually play the game quite a bit via PBEM seem to use it.  If you don’t like it, don’t use it.  Again, those are two different tools for two different applications.  For those who play chess, having animated chess pieces doing battle is just a distraction.  Simple icons suffice for power users.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Simple icons suffice for power users

I’m going to agree and disagree here.  For “power” users,  ABattlemap is too slow as an interface for us.  TripleA is integrated and QUICK.

As a POWER USER that’s why I use it!

• TripleA is very quick indeed, has a zoom function, uses unit pieces similer to the actual game (and units can be made larger or smaller depending on user preference) has all the rules built in, can auto post for PBE or PBF, has built in dice, built in battlecalc

TripleA also has an ‘edit’ function that is easy to use and allows you to change anything at any point in the game

Abattlemap only has an edit function and you have to type out your battles, moves, buys, dice, etc., every turn when PBF or PBE.
    Not to mention it is extremely hard to for new users to learn Abattlemap and learn whats what in the tiny square icons.
    Triple is extremely easy for new users to learn

TripleA also supports its own lobby and game server if you wish to play live rather than PBE or PBF

The only game TripleA currently does not offer is Global1940 Alpha rules (the OOB G40 works)

Im really looking forward to the finished version of G40 Alpha for tripleA

And understanding why anyone would prefer Abattlemap over TripleA (except to play G40 alpha) :P

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

allows you to change anything at any point in the game

“Allows you to change things ate CERTAIN points in the game” is a better description.  It also LOGS any of the edits.

• '12

Most of the PBEM here uses battlemap from a quick survey, though I am starting to see some tripleA files.  For the pace of game play for most of the PBEM here battlemap seems fine.  I guess if it wasn’t, then those who actually play here would use something else.  Again, different tools for different uses.  The history feature of tripleA is pretty nice to have.  It would be nice to have a repository of tripleA games available to highlight different strategies and responses.  Maybe as more people start using tripleA here for PBEM that can occur.

• '12

Of course, zoom for me is not an issue.  I use a 55" LG TV as my monitor.

• I think tripleA is newer than Abattlemap

And people always resist change

This is the only reason i can come up with

• '16 '15 '10

While I’m pretty much in agreement with Uncrustable, dissing Battlemap is not going to convince anyone.  I find that most gamers who use Battlemap have not found the time to try/learn TripleA (even though its way easier to learn/use).  For others, it comes down to aesthetic preferences (color schemes mainly) and habit.
    Another reason is new A&A games come out faster on Battlemap so that makes for less incentive to become familiar with TripleA.

I typed out some thoughts on the advantages of TripleA a little while back

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25858.0

It’s not so surprising that some stick to old software when you consider there are thousands of people out there using 12-15 year old applications to play computer games. There is even a community of Axis and Allies players who use the Hasbro game from 1998!

As far as these forums go, TripleA play-by-forum is catching on, as users see how easy it is and how much time it saves.  We’re even hosting a WWv3 tournament using TripleA!  Hopefully the trend will continue.

The latest ww2global is nearly finished (we are already playing it on the Unstable Lobby using a beta version).  With the new rules included……it’s EPIC!  Mad props to Veqryn for making it happen!

• @Zhukov44:

The latest ww2global is nearly finished (we are already playing it on the Unstable Lobby using a beta version).  With the new rules included……it’s EPIC!  Mad props to Veqryn for making it happen!

This is excellent ;)
    I cant wait

• stable version for Global 40 Final Alpha (2nd ed) is out now…I’m officially a tripleA convert- down with ABattlemap- time to upgrade my play!!! :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m