Changing name from "League" to "Gamerman's World Rankings"?

• '20 '16 '15 '14

I really think the term “league” is due to the fact that it is club sanctioned play, not to compare it to other “sports” or anything.  :)

To me, calling it “World Rankings” would mean that you need to include every AAG40 game in the rankings, not just the league games.  All of my chess games are included in the rating system, even though I won’t be playing in a Zonal/Interzonal/World Championship Candidates Final anytime soon.

You would, imho, also need sanctioning by the makers of the game.  The makers of baseball have an organization called MLB that sanctions the “World Series”.  For a better example, FIFA sanctions the World Cup and FIDE sanctions the World Championship in chess.  So, in addition to sanctioning, we would need a lot more corruption within the club leadership as well…. :D

• '17 '16 '15 '12

Had to smile about the “modest” line :)

Id even play under a grandstanding “World”, as its well organized whatever the name. Just that AA org is not a global body, just reachable from everywhere. The events covered, for example, are all American (although I dont know how many events there are, globally…surely some). If Wizards of the Coast would host the website, thatd be different, I guess. This does not mean that the website is not great, it is, of course.

The comparison with Tennis is not bad, but in any case, even as the points earned at the Masters count for the computer ranking, they dont count for the race to the Masters in the following year (I think).

I think there is not much wrong with how the League is structured. There is certainly need for a minimum games to enter the Play offs, and the current number should be manageble.

• Fun stuff, I’m glad you made the topic, Arathorn

Lots of thoughts, of course, but for now I’ll just put this one out.

We ARE badly in need of a good name for these playoffs.  I’ve been stumbling around calling them the “official league playoffs” or “the playoff that will name the league champion” to distinguish it from the “additional playoff(s)”.

Will cast my vote now!  First, the tough decision of whether to look at the current results BEFORE or AFTER I vote!  :-P

• I voted before looking at current results…  8-)

• '19 '13

@DizzKneeLand33:

I really think the term “league” is due to the fact that it is club sanctioned play, not to compare it to other “sports” or anything.  :)

To me, calling it “World Rankings” would mean that you need to include every AAG40 game in the rankings, not just the league games.  All of my chess games are included in the rating system, even though I won’t be playing in a Zonal/Interzonal/World Championship Candidates Final anytime soon.

You would, imho, also need sanctioning by the makers of the game.  The makers of baseball have an organization called MLB that sanctions the “World Series”.  For a better example, FIFA sanctions the World Cup and FIDE sanctions the World Championship in chess.  So, in addition to sanctioning, we would need a lot more corruption within the club leadership as well…. :D

If you look up what historically has been “league”, you won’t find anything like what we’re doing now.
    And again, what we’re using now was previously known as “Gamerman’s rankings”, as league standings were determined by win/loss ratio.

And no, you won’t need to count ALL games into the rankings. Only the voluntary games. Everything else is unranked.
    I am a chess player too, and I sometimes play unranked games online, and OFTEN unranked games as friendlies with piers or in get-togethers. The same would continue.

And there is NO need for ANY sanctioning from the makers of the game on any level. If you know your chess history you should know that. What did Kasparov do in the 90s? He broke away from Fide, and there were parallel WC until 2006, when they reunified them. The NFL consists of two previously independent leagues, that are now called conferences, with each conference’s winner meeting in the Super Bowl Final. There are often competing sanctioning bodies for the same game/sport.

We don’t need the sanctioning or approval from anyone. Anyone can form their own sanctioning body.
    Just look at boxing! WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF are the four MAJOR organisations. Then you have several more! Why? People want to do their own thing ;)

So no, not all games have to be ranked, only declared games (like in other games/sports) and no, we don’t need anyone’s sanctioning.

:)

• '19 '13

@alexgreat:

Had to smile about the “modest” line :)

Id even play under a grandstanding “World”, as its well organized whatever the name. Just that AA org is not a global body, just reachable from everywhere. The events covered, for example, are all American (although I dont know how many events there are, globally…surely some). If Wizards of the Coast would host the website, thatd be different, I guess. This does not mean that the website is not great, it is, of course.

The comparison with Tennis is not bad, but in any case, even as the points earned at the Masters count for the computer ranking, they dont count for the race to the Masters in the following year (I think).

I think there is not much wrong with how the League is structured. There is certainly need for a minimum games to enter the Play offs, and the current number should be manageble.

I’m glad you smiled at my comment.

I would have to refer you to my comments about boxing associations. There are four MAJOR bodies and several more smaller boxing bodies that all operate on their own. That is why you have the FOUR big belts, and why the Klitschko brothers have tried to UNIFY them to become UNDISPUTED. Look at the names of these sanctioning bodies:

World Boxing Association
    International Boxing Federation
    World Boxing Council
    World Boxing Organization

They do what they want, and so can we! Lol

• '19 '13

@Gamerman01:

Fun stuff, I’m glad you made the topic, Arathorn

Lots of thoughts, of course, but for now I’ll just put this one out.

We ARE badly in need of a good name for these playoffs.  I’ve been stumbling around calling them the “official league playoffs” or “the playoff that will name the league champion” to distinguish it from the “additional playoff(s)”.

Will cast my vote now!  First, the tough decision of whether to look at the current results BEFORE or AFTER I vote!  :-P

I’m happy to help!

I only want the name to change from “league” back to something with Rankings, like your system was called before :)

• '19 '13

@alexgreat:

I think there is not much wrong with how the League is structured.

This is not about how the League is structured. this is about the name.

And then my two cents on how to organise and accommodate for the top 8 playoffs (and its name) :)

• '15 '14

@arathorn:

The point is that historically, every league has had a set amount of players, that all have to play a set amount of games.
    That is the same for all the leagues around the world. That is what a sports league is.
    Playoff or not makes no difference in that respect.

We’re closer in our organisational form to how Tennis (especially), Chess and Golf are organised.
    Therefore I suggest we move our points, scoring, ranking etc. all into one lump in the same fashion as these other sports. (And yes, I just named Chess a sport, intentionally ;) )

Ok, got it. I agree to this.

• In short we should name it: ICFPWDTSRLHOABG

“International competition for people who desire to spend ridiculously long hours on a board game”

• “Gamerman’s International Axis&Allies Rankings” sounds better tho. World rankings sounds cheesy. I mean sure it could be done. Think about the boxing examples, but karate is a sport that has similar issues. The thing is we have to keep in mind that there are more rankings and more places where you can play axis and allies online. This just happens to be one of them. We are currently using Gamerman’s Ranking system. So I think we should name it after him as we are using his ranking system. If we would change the system, then we change the name, but everything else can stay the way it is.

If the majority prefers “Gamerman’s World Axis&Allies Rankings” above Gamerman’s International Rankings then thats fine as well, but I am not voting for the world rankings part myself. Whatever the name is going to be, it needs to include Axis&allies at the very least, because that is what we play.

• '12

good stuff.

• @Soulblighter:

In short we should name it: ICFPWDTSRLHOABG

“International competition for people who desire to spend ridiculously long hours on a board game”

This is a great post

• '15

Gamerman’s Intergalactic Ranking Roundup!

• Current system works fine. The only flaw is that last year’s playoffs overlaps next year’s regular season. Your comparison with tennis world rank system inspired me. I think we can come up with better rank system made up of “current league rank” and “tournament result” such as Garganta’s tournament and possibly other recognized tournament. The rank point you get depends on the scale of the tournament. This way we can encourage more organized tournament from all over the world so that the league will be more like a so called world league that you suggest. Hopefully we will have specific tournaments such as Garganta’s 2 vs 2 with unique oob rules or other dice tech or LL NT or LL tech or even triplea lobby live tournament.

The only problem is we must manager to finish the tournament in 1 year to make it an one year’s rank, which means we need more careful plan and group of responsible regular players who want to finish a game ASAP.

Only my pipe dream probably.  :roll:

• '16 '15 '10

Agree with the thread starter.  A “league” implies a bit more structure and typically implies that people are required to play each other pre-playoffs.  I would not object to a league system in addition to Gamerman’s ranking system.  Given the current volume of games, I believe we have sufficient people to get a ladder league going if somebody is interested in organizing it.  We can also think about hosting some tournaments.

Gamerman’s Global PBF Rankings or International A&A Global Rankings both sound good.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m