Managing the Sealion and the Soviet Unoin

• I have another question:

Should the Germans Sealion, how does Germany handle the Soviet Union and US?  I suspect the resources spent to counter the US would prevent the destruction of the Soviet Union.  Especially considering the ramped up IPC collection of the US once war is declared.

What is the most common post Sealion strategy for the Axis?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@-Wolverine-:

I have another question:

Should the Germans Sealion, how does Germany handle the Soviet Union and US?  I suspect the resources spent to counter the US would prevent the destruction of the Soviet Union.  Especially considering the ramped up IPC collection of the US once war is declared.

What is the most common post Sealion strategy for the Axis?

Dont forget that Russia can declare war on you the instant London falls as well.

• Hmmmmm…… that further deepens my concerns over sealion.

I haven’t played 1940G much, I have however played 1942 quite a bit.  I never sealioned with the Axis, my focus was always removing the Soviet Union from the game.  Once that was accomplished handling the US and UK was relatively easy.  However, in 1940G the IPC difference is so much that I don’t really know how to the handle the Allies.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@-Wolverine-:

Hmmmmm…… that further deepens my concerns over sealion.

I haven’t played 1940G much, I have however played 1942 quite a bit.  I never sealioned with the Axis, my focus was always removing the Soviet Union from the game.  Once that was accomplished handling the US and UK was relatively easy.  However, in 1940G the IPC difference is so much that I don’t really know how to the handle the Allies.

Until recently, when I was trying to get Russia out of the game before Round 8, I used to pretend Sea Lion.  Those 10 transports are AWESOME for landing in Arkhangelsk, Novogord, Gibraltar, etc.  And sometimes the British player forgets about the threat and leaves themselves under defended so you can get the best of both worlds.

• Yeah, landing the troops else where in the Soviet Union definitely crossed my mind.

My method of dealing with the Soviets is to strangle them, punch multiple holes in the line, hold the line, and blitz with units to reduce the Soviet IPC count.  Using transports would be excellent.  Could use them as a diversion, the Soviets will man the adjacent land territories, all the while being unable to attack the transports themselves.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

My method of dealing with the Soviets is to strangle them, punch multiple holes in the line, hold the line, and blitz with units to reduce the Soviet IPC count.  Using transports would be excellent.  Could use them as a diversion, the Soviets will man the adjacent land territories, all the while being unable to attack the transports themselves.

You know… for all my games of Axis and Allies, I can’t talk like that anymore :(  I almost miss it.  Infact it’s been so long, I don’t ever remember even talking like that.  Sometimes I see people trying to bait me, or I get blocked.  But aside from the odd trap, I don’t see “much” on the battlefield, that isn’t a typical crunch.

There are no “ambushes” or “flanking manuevers” anymore :(

Sometimes I get to do that against new people but… does that even count?

I guess my strategies are mostly dependant on what my opponent does, and where he makes his movements, and mistakes.  This is where my opportunites to strike are.  And I think strictly in game terms, of how best to accomplish what others might consider insane, or very unlikey, or what looks dumb, but really buys time and isn’t.

Someone else said it here… my turns aren’t thought ahead, but are predetermined…  there’s the "What I MUST or HAVE TO do,  Then there’s the “what I ought to or should do”, then there’s the “What do I want, or what Can I do?”  in that order.  And it applies to the purchase and placement phase too.  You’re likely not going to know all the facts until it’s YOUR turn anyways.

I miss the simple old days…  Russia = 8 inf, Attack, Defend,  Roll Dice, Place.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m