• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Hi everyone,

For those that have been following this project in the E40 forum, I put it here as it’s more appropriate.

For those that are new to the project, I was inspired by our member, AllWorkNoClay, to paint some pieces for A&A. I knew it was too much for me to paint a complete AA50 or G40 set, so I went with Guadalcanal, especially since I really enjoy the Pacific naval battles.

So, this is the result of an estimated 80 hours worth of squinting, backache, trips to the craft store, and research on the interwebs that stretched over nearly 2.5 months. Enjoy.

P.S. - Larry, this is for you and your brave father that fought on the islands of the Pacific.

• Customizer

Good stuff man! I’m glad I could help in whatever way with my pieces. The schemes have definitely translated well to your set.

• Very nice! I really need to paint my own pieces too, just hard to find the time these days. Any “free time” i find gets used to game.
    Thoes426 :evil:

@thoes426:

Very nice! I really need to paint my own pieces too, just hard to find the time these days. Any “free time” i find gets used to game.

That’s not a bad thing! I just have trouble finding gaming buddies so therefore, I turned to painting. Always better to play than anything else!

More pics:

• That is very true!
    Tis better to have gamed and lost than not to have gamed at all!

• Customizer

Hah me too. I just moved to the opposite coast to save up some money and ended up painting the minis to make up for my lack of gameplay. Good times.

• '16 Customizer

wow, great stuff! What did you use for the American insignia on the carriers and the stars 'n bars on the planes? are they decals or painted… and if painted, how did you do that with such great detail?!

• @Variable:

So, this is the result of an estimated 80 hours worth of squinting, backache, trips to the craft store, and research on the interwebs that stretched over nearly 2.5 months. Enjoy.

My sympathies on the wear and tear this caused to your eyes and back, and my compliments on the good-looking results.

• You did a great job.  I was especially impressed with some of the details like the American Stars on the decks of the Carriers and the off color highlights on the plane wings.  I am painting my own pieces for G40, but I am not tackling anything like the degree of detail you are after.

• I love the medal flake on the bombers they look great.

@Spitfire38:

wow, great stuff! What did you use for the American insignia on the carriers and the stars 'n bars on the planes? are they decals or painted… and if painted, how did you do that with such great detail?!

I did use decals for the carrier numbers as that is not my strong point. But the insignias are all hand painted with a 5/0 and 10/0 brush. I just go over them a few times to perfect the details.

More pics:

Thank you for all the great compliments folks! I chose this set for its relatively small number of pieces and it represents one of the battles that most interested me in the pacific campaign.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m