• story/question

In my last game as Japan, I opened by having two subs and three fighters attack Perl Harbor, and had the other three fighters go for the air craft carrier to the south. What happens? Of course the american rolls three one and his aircraft carrier and fighter is saved. No casulties for me at perl, but he still destroyed the rest of my western fleet on his turn. I managed to get a close VP win because he was luckier that he was smart.

Has anyone ever tried this or is this a bad strat? I’ve only played three time having just bought the game. Is it better to delay the american advance by attacking early, or by have a larger navy later on so they have to build up?

• Since all the allies (except china) defend on a 1 it is very tempting to over commit. First, you could have sent 2 more fighters against Pearl from the Island (map not handy) and 2 of the fighters from the carrier after attacking land back at the island. Remember that! Often you can use twice as many fighters as you have carrier landing spots by doing this island to carrier and carrier to island routine.

I would only attack Pearl and not the lone carrier, 2 subs and 6 ftrs means you ought not to lose any fighters here. I would then keep most of Jap navy together and lots of extra air to prevent the Yanks from moving up to quick. The Yanks may find that even on Round 3 they may not be able to move up against the Jap fleet as it could crush it. I spend 80% of my Jap money on subs, do a strategic pull back in the Pacific when the US navy is able to defeat the Jap navy. Use subs to block the way but watch out for the Brit then US double move, the brit clears the sub, the Yank moves through to the next sea zone. As the Jap pulls back it’s navy gets move concentrated and closer to the new builds, the opposite is true for the allies. I’ve played 4 times as Japan using this, not only did I never lose I never had a chance to use my Kamis! It wasn’t even close…… 26 victory points is a minimum for Japan to make it fair.

BB

BB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m