• Just thinking about the neutrality and war declaration rules and thought of something interesting.  If Japan is angling for a turn 3 attack, there is very little reason for the UK/ANZAC to not attack on turn 2.  Here’s my reasoning:

• Japan would be incredibly foolish to wait until turn 4 to attack (if they do, great).  Therefore, if they haven’t attacked on turn 2, you know it’s coming turn 3.

• If UK/ANZAC attacks on turn 2, then, what’s the worst that could happen?  Japan can attack you on their next turn (turn 3), without bring the US into the war.  But, they were going to attack on turn 3 anyway.  So, now we look at their attack.  Presumably, they’re going for maximum effectiveness in their attack, so you can expect them to hit UK/ANZAC, Dutch, and US territories.  If they do that, then the US still comes into the war, and you’ve lost nothing.  If they modify their attack, to not attack the Philippines, Hawaii, or any US naval units (and unclaimed Dutch territories? can’t remember) then the US won’t be able to make any attacks on US3, but will still get income and be at war thereafter.

-Best case:  you get attacks of opportunity on UK/ANZAC T2 at no cost
    -Worst case: you get attacks of opportunity on UK/ANZAC T2, Japan modifies their plans to not attack any US (and Dutch?) territories or forces, and the US can’t attack on US3.

Obviously it will be situation dependent, but my guess is that 90% of the time or better, this will be the play of choice.

• My first game i had Japan attack on turn 2…i still say this was best time to hit the allies…managed to destroy a large part of the British and US fleets and take a chunk of china…

But as i always say…its what the dice do that determines your strategy for the next rounds…

cuz on turn three…all i rolled on my dice were fives and sixes and japan was on the defensive after that…

• As Japan I would always only attack UK/ANZAC if they attack me on UK2. I would consider it a gift and would throw all aircraft at any UK/ANZAC ships and territories.

But I see your point. I think it will only be a very good idea to attack on UK2 if UK and ANZAC have a very tempting target(s). Like seeing some poorly defended TR or small fleets. Or invade somewhere with the possibility of destroying Jap bombers. But as Japan I always see to it that I don’t leave my TR and bombers undefended.

• Since Christmas my sons have gone back to there homes (far away) leaving me to play by myself.  I’ve come to discover that I’m a pretty good Japanese’s player, I kick my but all the time.  But at the same time I realized that I suck as an allie’s player.  I’ve played out several different scenarios, having Japan attack at different times and I’ve decovered that Japan is almost invincible especially when Japan attacks on J3, (there is no since in Japan waiting for the US to start, and give them time to get fighters in the Phillipines).

However, I’ve have just discovered the best way to slow down and maybe even beat Japan.  As you said in here, the UK (and ANZAC) attacking on turn two.  This has slowed up Japan alot in Aisa and help the Chinese to stay in the fight longer.  All my other games ended the same way; China gone and the UK cornered in India ready to be eaten alive.

After finding this great revelation I searched the site here and found your posting, just wanted to say I totally agree with you 100%.  I’m much slower than you in finding it out, however, now the next time I play myself I will be able to kick my butt with this new found strategy.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Does playing with yourself really count?

Especially if you think you are good with one side and bad with another.  Doesn’t that make you biased?

• Yes playing by myself is a real bummer, trying to find people in my area “Nashville”.  Good new is my son and my son-in-law both will be moving here some time this year.  Until then I have no choice but to play myself.  The good news is I win every time.  The bad is news is I loose just as many……

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m