• I think it would be cool if there was some fog of war in A&A. I don’t know if anyone has thought of this before but, what if the chips had small numbers in the center of them that the pieces would cover. So you would just put the proper number chip underneath your infantry and thats what you have. Your opponent would not know how many you truly had. If you forgot how many you had could just look at the chip. This might slow the game down a little if you needed to constantly check how many men you had but, it could be fun. Hell, sometimes I have to stop and count the chips underneath my men already to see how many I have.

• You could use “generals”. Make some blocks with some interesting famous leaders and use them or make actual HQ units ( Army group South)

Then you can make nifty modifiers for them  +1 movement/combat  of specific units, re-roll missed dice, etc…

• If you had the number of your units on the chip though it would make it simplier and you would still use the awesome A&A pieces.

That could be a good idea as well. That kinda of sounds like eastfront. I have yet to play the game but, I like the idea of the woodblocks that are setup for your units that your opponent can’t see your forces.

Imperious Leader… By your command.

• You could some funny small cups thing to cover your units.

However, I would introduce recon rules to go with it.

And purchasing of units would respectively have to be under fog of war as well. That could be a gameplay problem.

• Yes, some sort of recon rules would be a good idea. You could have some chances to find out how many units your opponent had in a ceratain area or sea zone.

Recon move
    Subs, infantry, planes, bombers, can be used for recon.
    Unit moves into pace and rolls d6. Recon is succesful if they roll their attack number or lower. The opposing player must reveal the composition of their forces in there sea zone or area. The unit would return to were it came from. If you roll a six the unit is destroyed. Next would follow the combat move.

Some interesting strategies could come from this. You could bluff your opponent on how many forces you had in a certain area. Either way more then they thought or way less. Yes building would also have to be secret at least to an extent. Maybe your opponent can see what type of units you are building but not in what quantity.

I don’t know about covering the units with cones. I would still like to see the cool pieces on the board.

• :-o
      Wow, these are some great ideas! Wish I’d thought of them.

Anyway, many years ago, when 2nd Edition first came out, I was a bit disappointed in the rules suggested for balanced play/advanced rules. So, I wrote up some of my own. Several were generic advantages, while others were more nation specific. Each player used specially marked control, markers, (logos prited on the back) to secretly place the advantages on the board at the beginnig of the soviet Players turn. Each player had a limited # of special markers that they could place each turn,( 3 or 4) but they could place as many other blank markers as they wanted on every territory/sea zone that they occupied. At the beginning of the combat movement phase, control markers could be revealed by their owner to show their special advantage.
    I don’t have it with me, ( somewhere in storage) but as best as I can remember;
      [[u]u]Generic Rules
          Entrencments: 1/2 of all Infantry, (rounded up) defend on a 3 or less in the first round of combat.
          Armor Encirclment: 1/2 of all armor hit on 4 or less on the first round of combat
          Fighter Interceptors: Act as Flak if flown over by enemy aircraft, hit on a 3 or less.
          Smoke screen: All ships are harder to target, enemy attackers hit on one less than normal. BB hits on a 3 ,Fighters a 2, etc…

Japan
          Kamakazii : One fighter may suicide into an enemy warship, hits on a 5 or less.
          Banzii Infantry: 1/2 of all attacking Infantry hit on a 3 or less.

Germany
          Motoized Infantry: 1/2 of all infantry may move two territories like tanks.
          Panzers Blitz: Up to 1/2 of all tanks may move into an enemy territory after combat is complete to perform a second combat, if they have only moved once in the combat movement phase. I placed these tanks on their sides as a reminder.

British
          Radar: 1/2 of all fighters defend at a 5 or less.
          Ultra Broken!: Britsh player may look at three of the German markers at the beginning of the UK turn.

USA
          Japanese secret Code broken: USA player may examine up to three of Japans markers at the beginning of his turn.
          Fast Carriers: All carriers may move up to 3 sea zones this turn.

[[u]b]Russians
            Massed retreat/Strategic withdawal: When defending and Prior to combat rolls, the Russian player may withdraw some or all of their units. Including Anti-aircraft guns, control markers and factories. Units may not be built in factories that moved this turn. Note; this territory may or may not have been under attack.
          Siberian rail; Two units between Russia and The Soviet Far East may move up to 3 territories, even into combat!

Of course there were multiple tokens of the generic type per nation, but only one each of the special national types.
    Try it out sometime, it adds a whole new slant to the game. I feel it is well balanced. Try it out and let me know what you think.
        If anyone is interrested I will gladly play you a game with these rules.

:roll: Crazy Ivan

• Those are some interesting house rules. Many of them are close to what A&A Revised national advantages but, you came up with them first!

I think you would use a D12 for recon so that your unit would only be destroyed on 12. I think you might lose too much if it was on a six.

• :-o
      Yes Admiral,
    I suppose that would be better.
    I also think that these ‘House Rules’ of mine would liven up even an AA Revised game as well.
        Crazy Ivan  :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m