• I had a question about submerging submarines. It’s probably easier to explain my question with this (admitedly daft) scenario:

G player attacks a GB BB with his sub. First round of combat and everybody misses. G player suddenly has a crisis of confidence and so submerges his sub. Everything carries on merrily, and at the end of non-combat, the G sub pops back up to the surface.

Now, on the GB player’s turn, there is a GB BB in a seazone with a G sub. Can the GB player move his BB elsewhere, or is he forced into combat with the G sub?

Ta

• If the UK player does not move his BB during combat movement he is forced into combat with the sub. He is free to move it and avoid combat with the sub. He may move it to another enemy occupied sea zone to begin combat, a freindly sea zone or an empty sea zone.

You described the only situation where you can have opposing units in the same space at the end of turn.

If the UK BB stays and combats the sub and misses and the sub submerges then on the sub’s owner’s turn the sub is in the same situation as the BB ship was. It must move away or stay and fight the BB. Hope that helps.

• @frimmel:

He may move it to another enemy occupied sea zone to begin combat, a freindly sea zone or an empty sea zone.

OK, that was the bit I was unsure about. Thanks

@frimmel:

If the UK player does not move his BB during combat movement he is forced into combat with the sub. He is free to move it and avoid combat with the sub. He may move it to another enemy occupied sea zone to begin combat, a freindly sea zone or an empty sea zone.

You described the only situation where you can have opposing units in the same space at the end of turn.

If the UK BB stays and combats the sub and misses and the sub submerges then on the sub’s owner’s turn the sub is in the same situation as the BB ship was. It must move away or stay and fight the BB. Hope that helps.

Just to follow up on this scenerio…

Say the UK BB then stays to fight the sub, but misses and the sub submerges so you still have the sub and BB in the same sea zone.

Now, a US DD attacks the sub.  The UK BB is NOT included in the battle, right?

So the US DD attacks, but the sub scores a hit, you cannot take the hit on the UK BB, right?

• @DarthMaximus:

So the US DD attacks, but the sub scores a hit, you cannot take the hit on the UK BB, right?

That’s the impression I get from the latest LHTR (1.3?)

• 2007 AAR League

@Dynamo:

@DarthMaximus:

That’s the impression I get from the latest LHTR (1.3?)

That is correct.  The UK battleship is on a pleasure cruise, it just sits on the sidelines & watches (tea anyone?  :-) ).

• That is actually one of the reasons LHTR 1.3 exists, was to clarify that exact situation.

The ruling is that, ONLY those units actually on the battle board (the attacker and the defender) are present for battle.  In your example Darth, the UK BB is somewhere else in the SZ, and did not participate (The US is the Attacker, Germany is the Defender, UK is NOT PRESENT)

So, a hit scored by the SUB in your example means the US loses a DST, and when Germany’s move rolls around again, there is STILL a sub in the same SZ as a UK BB, and the sub must either attack or move away in Combat Movement.

Thanks.

Now, the sub must move away in combat move, but must it engage in another combat?

Say a similiar scenerio with a Ger sub BUT this time there are 2 UK BB’s there.

It comes back to Germany’s turn.

Now there are no other naval targets anywhere near the Atlantic, and the Germany player does not want to send 1 sub vs. 2 BB.

So my question would be can the the sub move out to a nice safe sea zone or is he now forced to go 1 sub vs. 2 bb?

• Yes, the SUB can move away into a vacant territory, but the move actually occurs in COMBAT MOVEMENT instead of NCM.

Technically a Combat Move, though in this case it is OUT of combat.

The rule is the same as for any other time that you end up with enemy ships in the same sea zone, perhaps as with a build/placement.  The next nation to move has to either move OUT of the SZ in Combat Movement, or engage in combat in that SZ.

Great, thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m