• Hi,

I’m looking for some insights into the reasoning behind some unit stats. Note that so far I only played the classic version, and the last time was some time ago, but I received 1942.2 today and am planning on introducing it asap into my board gaming group  :-).

I understand that in a land battle, some units are clearly better suited to being on the defensive, as they can dig or otherwise make use of cover (infantry for example); hence the 1/2 stats for infantry make perfect sense to me. Other units excel on the attack, and loose their advantage if forced to take up a static position (tanks) - hence, the change from 3/2 to 3/3 actually does NOT make much sense to me; 3/2 seemed to me to capture the offensive nature of tanks perfectly. Was this change requested by players, or something the designers ever explained?

Anyway, for land units defense and offense makes a difference. But for naval and air battles, why would a fighter on the defensive be better than the same fighter on the attack? if anything, the attacking aircraft might have the benefit of surprise, but once the battle is joined (whether dogfighting with enemy aircraft, or strafing enemy land units), it doesn’t matter at all whether you’re part of the attackers or defenders, right? For bombers, I understand they wanted to represent their offensive nature with the 4/1 stat, but even there, the attack should be the same irrespective of what side of the battle you’re on.

For naval battles, the same thing goes, however most naval units already have their attack and defense the same, with the only exception being the carrier (and there I would think they should just be 1/1/ in a naval battle).

So what am i missing here?  :-)

Besides the stats themselves, I would also think some units would be focused on certain other units. Fighters for example are obviously much more effective against other aircraft than they are against land units, and would be expected to keep enemy bombers off their land-bound friends’ heads, and keep enemy fighters away from their own bombers. Bombers on the other hand would be very effective against land units, but almost defenseless against fighters.

I haven’t tried yet, but would it make the game too complex or slow it down too much if some sort of “priority targets” would be assigned to some units, and their hits should be assigned to those types of units first? I guess that once there are no more of those priority targets available, their effectiveness would go down, and so should their attack/defense power.

Apologies for the long post, I tend to get carried away with stuff like this  :lol: .

Thanks,

Zeus

• @ZeusEQ:

Hi,

I’m looking for some insights into the reasoning behind some unit stats. Note that so far I only played the classic version, and the last time was some time ago, but I received 1942.2 today and am planning on introducing it asap into my board gaming group  :-).

I understand that in a land battle, some units are clearly better suited to being on the defensive, as they can dig or otherwise make use of cover (infantry for example); hence the 1/2 stats for infantry make perfect sense to me. Other units excel on the attack, and loose their advantage if forced to take up a static position (tanks) - hence, the change from 3/2 to 3/3 actually does NOT make much sense to me; 3/2 seemed to me to capture the offensive nature of tanks perfectly. Was this change requested by players, or something the designers ever explained?

Anyway, for land units defense and offense makes a difference. But for naval and air battles, why would a fighter on the defensive be better than the same fighter on the attack? if anything, the attacking aircraft might have the benefit of surprise, but once the battle is joined (whether dogfighting with enemy aircraft, or strafing enemy land units), it doesn’t matter at all whether you’re part of the attackers or defenders, right? For bombers, I understand they wanted to represent their offensive nature with the 4/1 stat, but even there, the attack should be the same irrespective of what side of the battle you’re on.

For naval battles, the same thing goes, however most naval units already have their attack and defense the same, with the only exception being the carrier (and there I would think they should just be 1/1/ in a naval battle).

So what am i missing here?  :-)

Besides the stats themselves, I would also think some units would be focused on certain other units. Fighters for example are obviously much more effective against other aircraft than they are against land units, and would be expected to keep enemy bombers off their land-bound friends’ heads, and keep enemy fighters away from their own bombers. Bombers on the other hand would be very effective against land units, but almost defenseless against fighters.

I haven’t tried yet, but would it make the game too complex or slow it down too much if some sort of “priority targets” would be assigned to some units, and their hits should be assigned to those types of units first? I guess that once there are no more of those priority targets available, their effectiveness would go down, and so should their attack/defense power.

Apologies for the long post, I tend to get carried away with stuff like this  :lol: .

Thanks,

Zeus

I can’t give much insight on the tanks (I believe it has to do with no one wanting to buy tanks and only buying infantry), but I can explain Bombers and Fighters.

Bombers on your home territory (defending) aren’t going to be very good. You can’t easily scramble bombers to intercept the enemy like fighters, and bombing runs might hit your own troops or fortifications or your own civilians on your ground. Hence their usefulness only on offense.

Fighters, however, can be scrambled to intercept enemy planes attacking, or harass advancing armies, without a high chance of collateral damage.

• On defence noting indicate a tank is static… and even if a tank is static on def the def chose a ground better on defence exemple hill… for me 3/3, no prob for me with armor stat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m