• I call this battle board the “Smart Board” because it allows the player to think less and enjoy gameplay more. Special rules like the sub surprise strike and planes not hitting subs w/o DDs can be complicated to fight out on a standard battle board.

First, instead of the awkward battle board arrangement of having both combatants’ units on the same board (stretching across the table, etc.) this battle board is PERSONAL. Each side of the table has their own battle board and they can fight across the table that way. “A” is for attacking units and “D” is for defending units.

Next, instead of columns being arranged by the number of each die, they are arranged by the order that the units should fire. So if you are doing a sea battle, you put all your units out and roll left to right. The subs fire first w/no DD present. They can only hit sea units so they have their own separate areas, divided into five for five different stances. (I use the Wolf Pack rule) Next, planes will fire separately (because they can’t hit subs in some cases), then next the other sea units. (I use classic transports so the last column is for transports w/no attack value. I also don’t use tac bombers yet in my hybrid game.)

With this board it is practically impossible to forget a step or choose the wrong casualty as long as you read what to do in the next column and follow it.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Der:

I call this battle board the “Smart Board” because it allows the player to think less and enjoy gameplay more. Special rules like the sub surprise strike and planes not hitting subs w/o DDs can be complicated to fight out on a standard battle board.

First, instead of the awkward battle board arrangement of having both combatants’ units on the same board (stretching across the table, etc.) this battle board is PERSONAL. Each side of the table has their own battle board and they can fight across the table that way. “A” is for attacking units and “D” is for defending units.

Next, instead of columns being arranged by the number of each die, they are arranged by the order that the units should fire. So if you are doing a sea battle, you put all your units out and roll left to right. The subs fire first w/no DD present. They can only hit sea units so they have their own separate areas, divided into five for five different stances. (I use the Wolf Pack rule) Next, planes will fire separately (because they can’t hit subs in some cases), then next the other sea units. (I use classic transports so the last column is for transports w/no attack value. I also don’t use tac bombers yet in my hybrid game.)  Â

With this board it is practically impossible to forget a step or choose the wrong casualty as long as you read what to do in the next column and follow it.

Â

That is a really nice battle board and easy to read. Awesome graphics. Nice job, my friend! :-)

• '16 Customizer

I’m very impressed! Thanks for providing this resource! Can you let us know if you ever create a version with tactical bombers?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Spitfire38:

I’m very impressed! Thanks for providing this resource! Can you let us know if you ever create a version with tactical bombers?

Yes, that would be great! :-D

• OK will do!

• Sponsor

Great custom work DK, congrats!

• Awesome.    Nice work

• '14

Great work!!! Absolutely amazing!!! One question, what is the recommended printing size? I would also love to see one with Tac Bombers on it. G40!!!

• Thanks guys - it is 20" X 7" printed out. Looks like enough interest for a G40 board - I’ll try to work one up later.

• '14

That’s great news!!! I can hardly wait!!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m