Mariana Islands: Winning Strategy, the Zero IPC Island Crush

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Ha! Fooled you!  :-D
    Of course there’s no winning strategy that has anything to do with these islands.

This thread is instead to discuss all the reasons why these valueless island territories are ridiculous! Seriously, and especially on the Pacific side of the board. With the Kamikaze bonzai tokens at Marianas, I just had to single out this island group for being a great example of territories in the Pacific which receive no play whatsoever. Does anyone really want to come in here and suggest that these islands have a significant impact on the gameplay? Because I haven’t seen it.

Here is my proposal for a simple solution to the problem. What we need is a universal Objective for all players on the Pacific map. +1 ipc, for each valueless island your nation controls. You can tie this to the DoW if desired, so when at War with Japan. Or for Japan, once at war with the Western Powers.

Universal objective: +1 ipc for each Zero IPC Pacific Island territory controlled.

In case anyone is curious, this would yield the following potential income boost on the Pacific side of the map at the outset…

Japan 5 valueless islands: Hainan, Palau, Mariana, Caroline, Marshall.
    USA 6 valueless islands: Guam, Wake, Midway, Johnston, Line, Aleutian.
    Anzac 2 valueless islands: New Britain, Solomon.
    UK Pacific 4 valueless islands: Ceylon, Gilbert, Fiji, Samoa.
    French 1 valueless island: New Hebrides.

In total that is 18 additional contested Pacific IPCs, concentrated on valueless islands.

If you wanted to include New Guinea (not technically an island, but you get the idea), then you can make it an even 20 ipcs. All on territories that were valueless before. If you want to include all valueless territories, and not just islands, then you could add in Mongolia as well, for 6 more. But just keeping to the strict definition “Zero IPC islands” you can get 18 ipcs into play, and that’s not too shabby.

This seems like a fairly simple adjustment, handled just like an NO, comes into effect after the player is “at War” on the Pacific side of the map if you prefer.

• '17 '16

I’m glad you put this issue forward.

About New Guinea island, does this phrasing could work to include it but to exclude Mongolia?

1. Universal objective: +1 IPC for each Zero IPC Pacific Ocean Island territory controlled.

There is some way of having lesser impact on overall economy and give incentive to conquer others (mainly for Japan on the beginning):

2) Universal National Objective: +1 ipc for each enemy’s oceanic valueless Island territory you controlled.

I think, your way, each islands groups is a +2 IPCs swing.
    Allies get 15 IPCs while Japan gains an additionnal 5 IPCs at the end of the first turn.

The second way, it is only a +1 IPC swing.
    The enemy loose nothing but the conquerer gains 1 IPC.
    Getting back lost possessions have only the incentive of cutting the enemy’s income.
    For Japan, Pacific Islands provides an additional 15 IPCs (plus any NO such as Strategic Outer Defense Perimeter).
    For Allies, Japan provides an additional 5 IPCs.

I have a question about the first way, how is it different from simply puting 1 IPC value on the board for each unmarked islands groups? Is it or not?

Well the first way, there is effectively no difference between the NO and the adding +1 ipc to all valueless islands except for the DoW aspect. Which for simplicity seemed easiest.

But I honestly would support any NO that pushes the islands into play. What you want to see is a strong incentive for Japan to take zero ipc islands. If they can gain IPCs and more importantly, deny them to the enemy there’s a better chance they might pursue the option. I’m fine with the wording that has each zero ipc “Pacific Ocean territory”, to include New Guinea. Or the idea of each zero ipc “Enemy Pacific territory”, if you want to limit the economic impact.

With original idea proposed I was thinking that the starting bonus that Allies receive from the islands could potentially stand in for a bid. But if you want to restrict it by DoW, then the bonus would be more limited unless J1DoW activates them. Either way, I think it could be a fun change of pace, and who know, maybe in such a game the Marianas might actually get some action.

My grandfather fought there. Always seems a shame it never comes into play in this game. I just want to see some island hopping action for one! However we get there, I’m ready to support it.
    ;)

Can anyone think of a good name for such an Objective? A universal pacific board objective to get the islands into the fight.

• '17 '16

@Black_Elk:

Well the first way, there is effectively no difference between the NO and the adding +1 ipc to all valueless islands except for the DoW aspect. Which for simplicity seemed easiest.
    But I honestly would support any NO that pushes the islands into play. What you want to see is a strong incentive for Japan to take zero ipc islands. If they can gain IPCs and more importantly, deny them to the enemy there’s a better chance they might pursue the option. I’m fine with the wording that has each zero ipc “Pacific Ocean territory”, to include New Guinea. Or the idea of each zero ipc “Enemy Pacific territory”, if you want to limit the economic impact.

With original idea proposed I was thinking that the starting bonus that Allies receive from the islands could potentially stand in for a bid. But if you want to restrict it by DoW, then the bonus would be more limited unless J1DoW activates them. Either way, I think it could be a fun change of pace, and who know, maybe in such a game the Marianas might actually get some action.

My grandfather fought there. Always seems a shame it never comes into play in this game. I just want to see some island hopping action for one! However we get there, I’m ready to support it.
    ;)

Can anyone think of a good name for such an Objective? A universal pacific board objective to get the islands into the fight.

I want a more historically accurate Japanese strategy with island hopping action and such requires a strong incentive for Japan to take zero ipc islands.
    Your first idea is better from this POV.
    To provide some legitimate reason to not already put (1) IPC on each valueless territory of the board, it should be as you said, not be part of a starting bonus but clearly linked to a DoW.
    Only when at war with Japan that a Power can start to collect income from valueless territory and Japan must DoW with at least one Power to get this bonus.

Here is my idea for the name:

When any Naval Power is at war with another in PTO,
    Universal National Objective: +1 IPC for each Oceanic Valueless Island territory you controlled.
    Theme: Wartime extensive lines of supply and communications

Japan 5 valueless oceanic territories: Hainan, Palau, Mariana, Caroline, Marshall.
    USA 6 valueless oceanic territories: Guam, Wake, Midway, Johnston, Line, Aleutian.
    Anzac 3 valueless oceanic territories: New Britain, Solomon and New Guinea.
    UK Pacific 4 valueless oceanic territories: Ceylon, Gilbert, Fiji, Samoa.
    French 1 valueless  oceanic territory: New Hebrides. (Can be activated by a friendly Allied Power unit.)
    Dutch 1 valueless oceanic territory: Dutch New Guinea. (Must be activated by a Pacific Allied Power.)
    Sum: 20 IPCs

French islands bonus can go to another power upon activation, same as Dutch.

So, with 20 more IPCs incentive and the 3 Japanese NOs in aim (at least 10 IPCs and more), there is more real opportunity to makes war for the islands.

When Japan Is at War with the Western Allies (United States and/or United Kingdom/ANZAC):

5 IPCs if Japan controls the following territories:
    Guam, Midway, Wake Island, Gilbert Islands, and Solomon Islands.
    Theme: Strategic outer defense perimeter.

5 IPCs per territory if Japan controls
    India (Calcutta), New South Wales (Sydney), Hawaiian Islands (Honolulu) and/or Western United States (San Francisco).
    Theme: Major Allied power centers.

5 IPCs if Japan controls all of the following territories:
    Sumatra, Java, Borneo, and Celebes.
    Theme: Strategic resource centers.

Exactly!

Think about it, with an Objective rule like this in play, you’re adding in an economic incentive roughly equivalent to the value of China, or Anzac, or UK Pacific. And Japan has some flexibility early on to take islands and try to set up a better economic edge while they set up on their primary objective of India and the South Pacific.

What I think this rule would do, in addition to potentially balancing the game by sides without the need for a bid, is to really give Japan a reason to take some of the islands which historically they did take in 1941 and 1942. I get that this game is supposed to start in 1940, buts its also meant to take us through the duration of the War.

Right now, the way most people play Japan, they never make island invasions a priority. With this rule they would have a reason.

Once Japan moves into the Islands, then USA has a stronger incentive to take them back, and so you jumpstart the island hopping game. Sometimes its relatively safe to snatch up a few islands, without putting your fleets totally out of position, just doing the cat and mouse, with destroyer blocks and trying to activate air bases etc, and the 1 ipc incentive, while relatively small, is still enough to get the thing going. Sure 1 ipc doesn’t sound like much for an individual island, but with 20 total on the table? Now you’ve got a real theater of operations, that players are less likely to ignore.

I like the formula you have above. By saying “naval power”, it makes clear that we’re not talking about just at War with China. This supply line NO only comes into effect when Japan and the West are at war, and both trying to maneuver forces and supplies around in the Pacific.

• '17 '16

I really agree with all your points.
    Especially, I have hope that:

this rule would do, in addition to potentially balancing the game by sides without the need for a bid, is to really give Japan a reason to take some of the islands which historically they did take in 1941 and 1942.

Sure 1 ipc doesn’t sound like much for an individual island, but with 20 total on the table? Now you’ve got a real theater of operations, that players are less likely to ignore.

And Japan knows that Allies gets 15 IPCs, which makes 10 IPCs over their own 5 IPCs, every turn if they do nothing about it…

By saying “naval power”, it makes clear that we’re not talking about just at War with China.

You clearly see where I was going by this small addition.

That’s the way I rationalize it:

This supply line NO only comes into effect when Japan and the West are at war, and both trying to maneuver forces and supplies around in the Pacific.

Hope someone will give it a try someday…

I like it because it gives a little something to everyone at the outset of war. All the Pacific naval powers have a stake in the game. Its not just some totally one sided change, since all players could potentially benefit. It will make Anzac, UK Pacific and America more fun to play since the minor income boost can allow for slightly different build options. The same goes for Japan though, who will now have that extra 5 from their starting islands once at war with the West. And the potential to grab more. Also, as you noted, this universal objective would bring the Outer Island Perimeter NO potentially into play. Whereas now no one bothers with it.

Battle of the Pacific rules.
    Gets the islands into the action  :-D

• '17 '16

@Black_Elk:

I like it because it gives a little something to everyone at the outset of war. All the Pacific naval powers have a stake in the game. Its not just some totally one sided change, since all players could potentially benefit. It will make Anzac, UK Pacific and America more fun to play since the minor income boost can allow for slightly different build options.

Battle of the Pacific rules.
    Gets the islands into the action  :-D

And warships are really costlier than ground units, so this boost can provides some return in Naval investment.
    This will help having more units in SZs.

In addition, this bonus range from 3 to 6 IPCs at the start. So it is clearly inside NOs bonus parameters.

If its an acceptable HR to solve this issue for G40, do you have some ideas for 1942.2?

I’ve just found an old Thread based on one of your old post on Harris Game Design.
    Maybe it can be a start up to think about it?

Increasing action in PTO: The Case against 0 ipc territories (Pacific Islands)
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32221.msg1207041#msg1207041

We already discuss this issue here:

Production Mod for 1942.2
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33302.msg1267351#msg1267351

• In addition to their ability to project airpower over the sea areas around them, some of these island groups (notably Majoro, Kwajalein, Eniwetok and Ulithi) were extremely useful to the US Navy as Forward Naval Bases.  In essence, they allowed the USN to operate far deeper into the Western Pacific than Japanese planners had ever imagined, since Japan had been working from the assumption that the USN would be operating mainly from Hawaii.

Japan used Truk in a similar way, but not to the same extent as the USN because Japan never developed the equivalent of the Service Squadroon concept (see the Wikipedia article on the subject for more details) that the US employed.

• Here’s an idea deriving from the forward naval base concept.  What if these island territories generate IPCs (as proposed), but these IPCs are special ones that can only be used to purchase warships for use in the Pacific?  The rationale would be that possession of islands allows the establishment of forward naval bases, that these FNBs allow ships to remain on station longer (because they don’t have to waste time going all the way back to their home base), and this in essence translates into the equivalent of having more ships in action on the map.

Solid, I think that actually a great concept. Not least because it avoids the issue of players taking this money and then just throwing it in another direction. This way players could look at the Pac island bonuses as roughly equivalent to a pacific “ship discount.” You could keep the pile separate from normal income, to be used only for naval purchases in the pacific. If you don’t use it you can save the pile for the next, round but you can’t just turn around and spend it on ground, or air, or directed at Europe, which is usually what happens when you try to introduce more money into the game. This slates the bonus to be used exclusively for what we want to achieve, which is more ships in the pacific, and more contests over the islands. It’s simple to, you just keep a separate pile. Anzac, America, and Japan all have strong reasons to buy ships, so this will eliminate some of the burden by directing a portion of the cash specifically for this purpose. Genius!  I’m totally on board with that idea. Thanks CWOMarc

• Glad you like it.  A couple of follow-up notes:

• Although the Japanese didn’t have the same highly-developed concept of service squadrons and forward naval bases as the Americans did, the general idea of an island-posession benefit to naval operations does have a historical counterpart for Japan as well as for the US.  By positioning fleet units at Truk (Yamato and Musashi, for example, spent much of the war there), Japan benefited from having their ships twice as close to their oil supplies in the Dutch East Indies as the Japanese home islands were.  So it’s realistic for this house rule to apply both to Japan and the US.

• Although the special IPCs could not be used outside the Pacific, nor to purchase non-naval units in any theatre, those restricted-use IPCs would still indirectly help the player in those two other capacities because it would “liberate” for other use any normal IPCs that the player would ordinarily have spent on warships in the Pacific.  So that would be a fringe benefit of this system.

• '17 '16 '15

Here’s one where the bonus doesn’t kick in until Japan is at war with the western allies or vice versa. You’ll have to edit control of New Hebrides at the end of your NCM unless you’re Japan. Then it will work normally.  The objective panel doesn’t work but it does show you what bonuses you’ve obtained at the end of your turn. It also shows them in the game notes.

It seems like a cool idea. If you do the objective from the start you basically give Japan 5, US 6, UK_P 4and ANZAC 3 ipc bonus. While it can effect your first rd battles it does it without putting more units on the board immediately. If Japan doesn’t attack J1 a ten ipc swing for the allies which is close to the going bid rate. The allies will continue a slight ipc advantage once at war until Japan does something about it.

If you start the bonus when at war, which seems like the historical way to go, the allies will still have a slight ipc bump spread amongst the three pacific allies. Which is neat because one country can’t get it all. Anyway it seems like a cool idea you guys came up with. Hopefully this will encourage more people to try it.

P:)

well unfortunately something doesn’t seem to be working correctly.  Which is odd becuse they were. I’m going to take these down for now and try again. The one on earlier post seems ok except UKP is only getting one instead of four ipc bonus. I’ll leave it up for now and try to fix it first.

Killer! Thanks Barney

• '17 '16 '15

So I just gave every island 1 ipc.  You still have to edit control of new hebrides.  Here’s the xml and objective properties. You’ll have to rename the properties before you put it in your global zip. Drop the  .txt

So the ipc’s still start the same you’ll just collect extra ipc’s at the end of your turn. Seems like a lot of games have a J2 attack or sooner so basically you’re only getting a one round bonus or less.
    You can always edit until at war if you want. I’ll try and get one for the at war condition next.

ww2global40_2nd_edition_Island_1.xml
    objectives.properties.txt

• '17 '16 '15

Here’s one where the bonus doesn’t kick in until japan attacks. However if uk attacks the bonus won’t kick in. Which might not necessarily be a bad thing IDK. If uk attack becomes standard to activate the bonus I would think that to be undesirable. However I’m still working on one where the bonus kicks in no matter who attacks.

There’s also one where the bonus kicks in immediately. You still have to edit control of new hebrides. The objective panel doesn’t show up although it tells you what objectives you’ve achieved at the end of your turn. They’re also listed in the game notes.

A couple thoughts on strategy. Japan should be able to take and hold guam and ceylon pretty easily although it will take a few turns to get ceylon. They should also be able to easily take but have trouble holding: wake,midway,new britain,solomons,gilberts and aleutians. Basically from japan and carolines they can threaten all islands except for samoa and ceylon. The us will need to protect or at least trade the aleutians or lose an objective.

IDK if this would be enough to balance the game on it’s own. If you did start the bonus early us could send a little extra power to europe but it won’t be felt for a few turns. They definitely can’t ignore japan. As far as japan they’ll probably still want to take out india asap to cancel the uk bonus. which probably works out to a inf a turn. They will have to contest the solomons and new guinea to keep anzac from their objective. I think this new bonus will help anzac the most. If you really want to fire up the pacific you could activate shipyards as well.

Anyway if you try it let us know how your game went.       P:)

ww2global40_2nd_edition_Island_NO.xml
    ww2global40_2nd_edition_Island_NO_War.xml

Thanks Barney! These are great!
    I foolishly left my laptop at home whIle I went up to visit the family, but going to load these up soon as I get back!
    fantastic  :-D

• '17 '16

@barney:

If you really want to fire up the pacific you could activate shipyards as well.
    :wink:

I forgot this one…  :-D
    NOw we talk!
    :evil:
    Thanks for this patch.

• Hey guys, not to try and keep mashing rules into here as this is actually perfect to get some naval units mingling in the pacific, but to add more depth to this island fighting, what if airbases and naval bases could defend on islands that dont have an IPC value. Most of the islands that had airbases also had some form of defense against ships. Just to put in perspective think of naval and airbases as an entire set up for the island not just specifically what its name stands for but also all the logistics that is required to survive on an island. Just like 1 infantry doesnt stand for 1 infantry it is a platoon of infantry etc,

- An island that has a naval base or an airbase may defend the surrounding waters for the first round of combat only and only against attacking surface ships. If both an AB or a NB are present then a die is rolled for both. Any roll 3 and under is a hit.
        - They may roll against amphibious assaults as well as any combat defense in that sea zone that has surface ships.
        - Transports can try and take empty islands that have no units but only AB/NB, but must endure 1 round of combat. If they survive they then can amphibious assault the island and take it.
        - Aircraft are not taken as casualties as they are subject to fire when on the island from AA.
        - If the AB/NB has be tactically bombed then they may not be defend in anyway. They must be fully repaired to be functional.

I think adding this to the IPC buff just on islands will give it a bit more flavour. There does seem to be some blank spots on the board when playing but that was always going to be the case. Giving this area a bit of love will make the the game more strategic overall. If you guys like this idea or have some others we can compile a more formal write up of islands including existing rules. Of course a bit of play testing wouldnt hurt.

Cheers, TDS.

• '17 '16

Welcome back TDS,
    Your combined defense of AB & NB @3 sounds more like a Coastal Guns feature.
    It’s seems strange to apply it in the PTO on islands group from an historical perspective (sounds more like a coastal defense as a German’s Atlantic Wall).

However, reading your post makes me think about another way of making these islands an interesting tactical assets:
    If a valueless Pacific Islands group has at least 1 Inf on it, up to two Fighter units (no TacB) can scramble on defense to protect the SZ.
    No AB needed, the island is treated as an unmovable 2 planes Aircraft Carrier.

This way, an unoccupied island with Fg on it is not sufficiently crowded to maintain a qualified Island Airfield.
    What do you think?
    2 Fighters is too much?

Maybe 1 Infantry allows 1 Fighter to scramble.
    But 2 Infantry units allow 2 Fighters to be able to scramble.

But 1 single Fighter able to protect the warships in the nearby SZ, can this be enough incentive to put Infantry on an Island and fight for it?

The difference between Air Base and this Island Airfield is:

• No additional +1 move allowance, as part of an Air Base bonus.

• Tactical Bombers can scramble from Air Base not only Fighters.

• Up to three units (Fgs or TcBs) can scramble to protect the SZ nearby.

• No need to put any Infantry unit on the Air Base to make it operational.

• An Air Base can be bombed and damaged while an Airfield cannot.

As I said valueless islands group, can this be extended to all Pacific Islands group?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m