• Hello Guys,

I started playing A&A a couple of weeks ago with the 1942 2nd edition. I like the game and it is usefull for understanding the basic rules. I’ve read the manuels of the 1940 2nd edition games and after reading these I would like to play these game because of the additional depth. I will not buy both games at once because of the price. I want to buy one first so now is my question: which game should I buy, Europe or Pacific? And even more important why?

• Europe.
    Are two Axis nations and it involves the titanic struggle between Germany and Russia.
    There are problems with Pacific if played alone too.

• Thank you for your reply :) In what way are there problems with the Pacific version?

• @Curly:

which game should I buy, Europe or Pacific? And even more important why?

See this thread for some recommendations that were made in answer to a similar question:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32521.0

• Curly: Sorry to leave that dangling. Was in a rush when I posted.

Someone on this forum discovered Japan could win almost every time by adapting a certain strategy. It had been resolved by Larry Harris with recommendations on a thread somewhere.

The other “problem” is something I queried. Russia is not on this map, but they were historically and are when you join it IL with Europe to make it Global.
    This means Japan has to watch its Northern border and be less agressive.
    In Pacific, it can move the large Manchurian army against China and make things hard for the Allies.

I would buy Europe. If you love Island hopping and lots of naval engagements, buy Pacific.
    I am sure you will buy the other soon as possible, as they are great games.

• Customizer

I cannot recomend strongly enough that you buy both AAP40 and AAE40. Once you play one you will want the other. Additionally with games like either edition they quickly become unavailable and out of print. When it’s time to buy whichever one you didn’t buy it will cost a lot.

I am not just a player but a collector and while not trying to be pompous, I have found that when you miss out on the original print run of games you will pay “pound of flesh” and then some to obtain some editions or even simple units.

Just buy both you will thank me lateror make a profit selling what you wish you hadn’t bought.

• @toblerone77:

I cannot recomend strongly enough that you buy both AAP40 and AAE40. Once you play one you will want the other. Additionally with games like either edition they quickly become unavailable and out of print. When it’s time to buy whichever one you didn’t buy it will cost a lot.

I am not just a player but a collector and while not trying to be pompous, I have found that when you miss out on the original print run of games you will pay “pound of flesh” and then some to obtain some editions or even simple units.

Just buy both you will thank me lateror make a profit selling what you wish you hadn’t bought.

what he said…i have two copies of each…and im having a blast playing each game by itself and global…

ill be honest though… i prefer pacific first…the naval battles are fun to roll dice for and great aircraft carrier dogfights and amphibious operations all over the board…i love both games…but pacific 40 was the first one i bought

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m