How to setup a Play-by-Forum Game Guide

• '20 '18 '17 '15

This is a guide on how to create your first play-by-forum game!  It took me a while to figure it out, so I thought I would create a guide to help those new to the forums.  So, once you have gone through the bidding process and determined who is what side, you:

1)  Open the Triple A program and click “Start PBEM (Play-By-Email/Forum) Game”

2)  Fill out the needed information in the top right of the box.
    To: & Cc: lines are where you place the email addresses of anyone in the game.  This is where the server dice rolls will be sent.
    Game ID:  This is the subject line you will see for any dice roll emails.  You can indicate League or none league, year, who is which side and what the bid was.

3) Go to the pull down menu under “Play By Forum” and select AxisAndAllies.org

4)  Open your web browser, go to the league section at axisandallies.org, and create a new topic.

5)  Fill in the subject line with league year, L for league, and side information i.e. who is axis, who is allies, and what the bid was.  In the body text, I usually write what the bid placement was.  Click the post button

6) Open up the thread you just created. Look at and write down the number in the URL at the very top.  In this example, it is 32213.  You do not need to include any decimals.  This will be the topic ID to be filled out in step 7, and is used by Triple A to connect where the auto-posting of turn information will go on the forum.

NOTE:  When creating a second or third PBForum game, it uses the information from your previous game.  Make sure you update the Topic ID and email addresses each time.

7)  Fill out the required information in the Play By Forum section.  This includes:
    Topic Id: This is the number created by the new thread you started in Step 6.
    Login: This is your AxisAndAllies.org username
    Password This is your AxisAndAllies.org password.  Both username and password are auto-filled for each new game, so you won’t have to fill this one out again.  I’ve only run into an issue with it once or twice in 30+ games.

CHECK BOTH BOXES
    “Attach save game to summary” allows Triple A to auto-attach the latest game file to the forum.
    “Also Post After Combat Move” gives the player the option to post a file that shows all combat movement.  This is useful when questions about scrambling, intercepting, or order of loss surface, allowing your opponent to see exactly what you’re talking about without having to recreate the situation through text in the forum.

8 ) Click the “Test Post” button.  A message will pop up, telling you to wait 20 seconds.  This confirms that any posting of turn summaries will go to the right place.

When succesful, you will see two things. A pop upbox with one option “Okay”, and test.jpg added to your game thread. 

Once you see both of the above, you are ready to click “Play” and start the action!  Enjoy!

9)  Don’t forget the bid!  You can either edit in the bids after opening the file, or go to “Game Options”

10)  Fill out the bid amount for the various powers.  A purchase screen will pop up before the game starts for each power with bid ICs.  Those units can then be placed per the bid rules.  The only limitation I know of is if you want to give any leftover ICs to India.  That will have to be edited in, as it defaults to giving the remainder of ICs to the UK.

Rock on!

• '20 '18 '17 '15

Bumped for new forum players

• '19 '18

Very detailed guide, thanks for that Whackamatt

• '15 '14

Great job Whackamatt, thumbs up!!! :-)

• '19 '18

bumped once more

• '20 '18 '17 '15

Bumpity, cause I’ve been asked about it.

• Can this topic be posted and pinned in a location that’s easy to access, like in the Play Boardgames? Just wondering. :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m