Would you date a woman in the Navy?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

This came up as a hotly debated question in the lunch room at work the other day…  I thought I’d drop it here lol.

Assume she’s attractive enough that you like her.  Could you / Would you date her?  Why or why not?

• Not sure my wife would appreciate me dating anyone else.
    I could not.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

My question is why would you not? I mean is there something inherently different about a woman in the navy that this question came up?

Other than not being a civilian, what would make a woman in the navy any different from one who is a civilian? Lots of women date/marry men in the navy right?

The Argument I overheard as to “why not” was that:

• they tend to be sluey on average…
    • that they are constantly surrounded by dudes who want to get in their pants all day long,
    • that they are less feminine/lady like
    • have mouths like a sailor
    • are as dirty as the sailors they sail with
    • are disloyal and dishonest
    • and are gone for ridiculously long extended periods of time.
    • are born with an awkward disposition or family, which is why they joined the navy in the first place

This was apparently coming from -experience- LOL, whether that’s validated or not, I really couldn’t tell you.  I myself have nothing ill to say about sailors, or otherwise, and would agree with your position Hoffman.

It was also compared to dating females in the lower -echelons- of the construction industry, like flag hags, painters, and trucker girls… Or worse, safety officers. :)

• You probably could score if you used the proper Axis and Allies acronyms like CV , BB, CA, DD, SS…etc.

Use them in the pick up lines like… “Hey baby Id like to see your BB’s”

• Being in the Navy, I could say that would be a depending issue (married, so in this case I wouldn’t, but if single, it would be plausible)…would I marry somebody in the Navy…no…after being married once, why the frak would I want to do it again?  There are some hot girls in the Navy, but most hot girls go Air Force when they join

@Imperious:

You probably could score if you used the proper Axis and Allies acronyms like CV , BB, CA, DD, SS…etc.

Use them in the pick up lines like… “Hey baby Id like to see your BB’s”

Hahaha

@Gargantua:

• that they are constantly surrounded by dudes who want to get in their pants all day long,
    • are born with an awkward disposition or family, which is why they joined the navy in the first place

This was apparently coming from -experience- LOL, whether that’s validated or not, I really couldn’t tell you.  I myself have nothing ill to say about sailors, or otherwise, and would agree with your position Hoffman.

Oh, well, I sort of assumed these were the reasons why. If that were the case, I probably wouldn’t either.  “Sluey”? Is that Canuck for slutty?

• @Gargantua:

Slutty isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Bad girls give better…

Most women especially young not fat women are surrounded or bombarded with male attention. This is reason to assume they’ll drop you for ‘better’ at the earliest opportunity. It is not a valid reason to not date them.

These are traits that would rule her out as dating material prior to finding out she is in the Navy so the sailor part is not the determiner.

If known at first she would be unattractive to even begin dating regardless of the sailor part. Always a reason for immediate cessation of dating if learned afterwards.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Women who come equipped with ‘self-removal apparatuses’ can be very attractive.

Not dating her family.

Clearly the myths have been debunked!

Sounds like: “If you like her go for it” is the answer.

More acronymn usage must be revealed however, “Hey babe can you submerge my DD?”

• Except one item (which I’ll get to in a moment), all the points on this list sound like unsubstantiated misogynistic stereotypes.  I’ve been to the U.S. Naval Academy on a couple of occasions, I’ve stayed for a few days at a Canadian Naval Reserve housing facility (at which I made use of both the mess hall and the bar/lounge area), and I’ve visited various naval vessels; this is admittedly a small sample, but I don’t recall any of the female sailors I saw on those occasions (both officers and enlisted) fitting any of those unflattering descriptions.  Rather the contrary, in fact: as I recall, they were almost invariably clean-cut, polite and very professional.  In terms of looks, I don’t recall the distribution range (from very attractive to average to not-my-type) being any different from that of the civilian female population at large.  There may indeed be some women in the Navy who do fit the description provided by Gargartua’s buddies, just as there may be civilian woman who do, but there are also plenty (both in and out of the Navy) who don’t fit it.  And I would further argue that one of the points on the list – “are disloyal and dishonest” – is a characteristic that no Navy recruiting officer wants to see in a candidate of either sex.

The item about being away for long periods of time is a valid one, and it’s an exigency faced by military spouses in all the services…but even then, the situation varies depending on the assignment that a serviceman/woman has at a given moment.  Being assigned to, let’s say, a staff position at the Pentagon or at a military facility in an urban area is pretty much like having any kind of desk job: for the most part, you go to work in the morning and return home at night.

As for the item about “they are constantly surrounded by dudes who want to get in their pants all day long” – at the risk of sounding flippant, in what way does this make female sailors different from women in other professions?  It also strikes me as odd to argue that guys are irresistibly attracted to women who (according to the rest of the argument) are dirty, dishonest, foul-mouthed, un-ladylike and so forth.  If that were true, what would it say about the taste and judgment of the guys in question?

Well said Marc.

• I wouldn’t want to be married to someone with a dangerous job. I can see myself worrying all the time and being victim to my overly vivid imagination.

Then again, when love strikes i’d probably curse myself and go for it anyway.

@special:

I wouldn’t want to be married to someone with a dangerous job. I can see myself worrying all the time and being victim to my overly vivid imagination.

Not to diminish the navy, but I don’t think either the US or Canadian Navies are exactly hazardous occupations. I am sure many more women construction workers or athletes get seriously injured each year than those in the navy. Barring working on a flight deck or being a Marine… or perhaps a pilot… US Navy ships are comparably much safer to be on in the current state of world affairs than to be in land combat; either now in “peacetime” or in a full out war.

• I would have to have complete trust in her. That’s a new meaning to long distance relationship. I had a friend in the navy that was a very good looking woman, she told me she loved her time in the navy, but would never join again. Getting hit on while out on patrol never let up.

• @LHoffman:

@special:

I wouldn’t want to be married to someone with a dangerous job. I can see myself worrying all the time and being victim to my overly vivid imagination.

Not to diminish the navy, but I don’t think either the US or Canadian Navies are exactly hazardous occupations. I am sure many more women construction workers or athletes get seriously injured each year than those in the navy. Barring working on a flight deck or being a Marine… or perhaps a pilot… US Navy ships are comparably much safer to be on in the current state of world affairs than to be in land combat; either now in “peacetime” or in a full out war.

I got a papercut this one time….got a Purple Heart for it  :wink:

If you get an infection, is that TWO purple hearts?

@Mallery29:

@LHoffman:

@special:

I got a papercut this one time….got a Purple Heart for it  :wink:

Must have nearly cut your finger off. Nasty.

• @LHoffman:

@Mallery29:

@LHoffman:

@special:

I got a papercut this one time….got a Purple Heart for it�  :wink:

Must have nearly cut your finger off. Nasty.

If you find away to prevent future papercuts, then you get a Navy Achievement Medal….unless you are the CO, then I think you get a Bronze star for it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m