Who is having problems with BBCodes?

• [b]Me[/b]

• Still? Woah, that didn’t work.

• Customizer

Not sure, I know the triplea forum poster converts stuff to HTML before posting (meaning it uses triangle brackets)
    [b]But it could be that those are automatically converted into the BB Code versions (square brackets)[/b]
    or they get converted to something else….

• I have a plugin for permissions on BBCodes and it’s broken.  :x

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Me Smash but no work.

• Founder TripleA Admin

With regard to this bug in the system, I would publicly like to announce, ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!

That it all. I’ve tried yelling at it, it didn’t work.

• This better ****ing work. I can say that because it will be censored.

• Testing

• Customizer

@Veqryn:

Not sure, I know the triplea forum poster converts stuff to HTML before posting (meaning it uses triangle brackets)
    But it could be that those are automatically converted into the BB Code versions (square brackets)

So, if this is fixed, why aren’t the posts above fixed?

• @Veqryn:

@Veqryn:

But it could be that those are automatically converted into the BB Code versions (square brackets)

So, if this is fixed, why aren’t the posts above fixed?

Older posts will be fixed only by saving them again, as I found out.

• '18 Customizer

I went back into this post (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27484.msg968293#msg968293) and resubmitted it but the pic’s did not return. Without the pics its kind of lost its appeal.

• '18 Customizer

Actually every link to every photo ever posted on the site has been broken. This is not good!

@Dave - How often do you back-up the forum? Perhaps that section could be reloaded. We are also using an older version 1.1 rather that the newer 2.0.2 version.

• Founder TripleA Admin

If I upgrade, it will break everything. The next upgrade will be a migration to new forum software, which I will be writing myself because the current state of the forum-world is horrendous. If we don’t evolve, everybody will migrate to Quora and StackExchange.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I think that is temporary until I figure out how to keep spammers from posting photos.

You can still provide a link to photos.

@Field:

Actually every link to every photo ever posted on the site has been broken. This is not good!

@Dave - How often do you back-up the forum? Perhaps that section could be reloaded. We are also using an older version 1.1 rather that the newer 2.0.2 version.

• '18 Customizer

@djensen:

If I upgrade, it will break everything. The next upgrade will be a migration to new forum software, which I will be writing myself because the current state of the forum-world is horrendous. If we don’t evolve, everybody will migrate to Quora and StackExchange.

I’m not too familiar with the SMF system but you should be able to upgrade without breaking links. With phpBB you upgrade the forum not the data. the data is in a separate dbase and is a slave to the forum software. In the beginning at the Underground we were spammed to death so I added a simple security question to the registration process and we haven’t had even one spammer in a year. The question is simple but bots don’t know the answer. “What war does the game cover?” Any doh-head knows the answer, but bots don’t. I honestly have few issues with the phpBB software.

• Founder TripleA Admin

It’s not links that will break, it’s all of the mods (modifications) that I’ve installed that will break. It’s bad enough when I do a simple upgrade.

Spammers can eventually defeat that system, especially if that question doesn’t change. I’ve installed reCaptcha and that has dramatically cut-down/eliminated spam bots but not the spam humans. Just because you don’t get spam humans doesn’t mean we don’t get spam humans because we do. And I’m sorry but this site likely has much more traffic and is therefore more of a target.

• Founder TripleA Admin

You also need to understand that in my day job I’m a software engineer (programmer) and I build scalable websites. It takes a lot of work to do it right. phpBB and SMF work but it does mean they were built right. Not to say those programmers are bad but I doubt anybody who originally worked on phpBB and SMF would ever code something in that same manner ever again. The codebase intertwines the data models, the views, and has no templating system. The code is spaghetti and my eyes bleed whenever I have to read it.

I’ve avoided building my own forum in the past because I know how much work it will be. Enough of that, if nobody else will do it right, then I’ll do it.

VanillaForums comes the closest and has a much cleaner codebase but there are many things that I would still have to implement to run Vanilla.

@Field:

@djensen:

I’m not too familiar with the SMF system but you should be able to upgrade without breaking links. With phpBB you upgrade the forum not the data. the data is in a separate dbase and is a slave to the forum software. In the beginning at the Underground we were spammed to death so I added a simple security question to the registration process and we haven’t had even one spammer in a year. The question is simple but bots don’t know the answer. “What war does the game cover?” Any doh-head knows the answer, but bots don’t. I honestly have few issues with the phpBB software.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m