• Greetings, fellow Axisers and Alliers,

To assist us in more rapidly verbally battering each other back and forth,  here is my list of commonly used A&A ‘Acronyms and Adjectives’.  It works on so many levels!

Comments and feedback welcome!  For territory abbreviations, skip to the bottom. Original post hosted on BGG: boardgamegeek.com/article/8788810#8788810

Format:
    Term; alternate terms
    Definition

A&A; AAA
    Axis and Allies

A(#)
    The American (US) player’s turn in Round #X

aa; aaa
    Anti Aircraft gun

AA40; AAG40; AAG
    Axis and Allies 1940, either Europe or Pacific Theaters, which can be combined to play the massive “A&A Global”

AA42; AA1942; AA4
    Axis and Allies 1942 (2010); the current printed edition of A&A

AA50; AAAE; AA3
    Axis and Allies 50th Anniversary Edition; out of print

AAR; Revised; AA2
    Axis and Allies Revised (2004); out of print

art; RTL
    Artillery

Bait Shop; Chop Shop
    An IC built in Alaska

bmr; BOM
    Bomber

Bridging
    Using a stationary transport(s) to move gear between two landing sites adjacent to the same Sea Zone.

btl; BB
    Battleship

C(#)
    The Chinese player’s turn in Round #X

Canadian Shield
    A dual Germany/Japan invasion of Canada, usually on Round 3

Cannon fodder
    Weak units (infantry and artillery on land, transports (in AAR and before) and subs at sea) that are there primarily to absorb damage for more expensive units

car; CV
    Aircraft Carrier

Cheese
    A move that is both:
    a) intended to decide the outcome of the game immediately, AND
    b) based on an [i]immense[/i] degree of randomness.
    See “Sea Lion” for the classic example of Axis Cheese.

Chi
    China

Chop Shop
    See ‘Bait Shop’

Count
    The total number of hits a force can absorb; either oCount (for the attacker) or dCount (for the defender)

cru; CA
    Cruiser

Curry Shop
    See ‘IIC’

des; DD
    Destroyer

Donut Shop
    An IC built in the Ukraine

ftr; FIG
    Fighter

G(#)
    The German player’s turn in Round #X

Ger
    Germany

German Turtle
    see ‘Turtle’

I(#)
    The Italian player’s turn in Round #X

IC
    Industrial Complex (Factory)

IIC
    An IC built in India, usually by the UK on U1. The most common IC build.

inf
    Infantry

IPC; $
    Industral Production Certificates (money)

Ita
    Italy

J(#)
    The Japanese player’s turn in Round #X

Jpn
    Japan

JTDTM
    Japan Tank Drive To Moscow; a strategy where the Japan player aggressively pressures Russia and threatens Moscow with ground forces

KAF
    Kill America First; a strategy where the Axis go all in to kill the US quickly while demphasizing or ignoring other targets. Usually involves Landbridge, Canadian Shield, or Operation Hollywood.

KBF; KUF
    Kill Britain First; a strategy where the Axis go all in to kill the UK quickly while demphasizing or ignoring other targets. Usually involves Sea Lion or Landbridge.

KGF
    Kill Germany First; a strategy where the Allies go all in to kill Germany quickly while demphasizing or ignoring Japan

KJF
    Kill Japan First; a strategy where the Allies go all in to kill Japan quickly while demphasizing or ignoring Germany

KRF
    Kill Russia First; a strategy where the Axis go all in to kill Russia quickly while demphasizing or ignoring other targets. Usually involves JTDTM.

Landbridge
    A massive, early buildup of German transports (usually 6-8tra) in the Baltic

LH
    Larry Harris, creator of Axis and Allies

LHTR
    Larry Harris Tournament Rules, a set of improved rules and errata for playing AAR, mostly modifying tech, Carrier, and submarine rules.  LHTR were eventually largely incorporated into the base rulesets for the later AA40, AA50, and AA42 games.

LRA
    Long Range Aircraft, for games where tech is available and allowed

NA
    National Advantage(s); optional, side-/nation-specific rules included with AAR and other A&A games. Rarely used in competitive play.

NO
    National Objective, side-specific IPC-incentivized criteria. Present in AA40 and AA50 only.

Operation Hollywood; Polar Express
    A Japanese invasion of WUS, usually on J3

Pazcki Shop
    An IC built in Eastern Europe, usually by Russia

Punch
    The added-together strengths (hit-on numbers) of all units in a given force.Either oPunch (for the attacker) or dPunch (for the defender). Divide the Punch by 6 to arrive at the number of hits that force should produce per combat round.

R(#)
    The U.S.S.R. player’s turn during Round #X

Round
    Rounds are made up of one Turn for each player.

Rus
    The USSR

Russian Turtle
    see ‘Turtle’

SBR
    Strategic Bombing Run (or Raid); when a bomber is used to attack the production or economy of a player rather than their units directly

Sea Lion
    A G1 amphibious invasion of London.  In games where tech is allowed, usually preceded by a G1 roll of 6 tech dice for LRA or Heavy Bombers.

Shuck; shuck-shuck, single/double shuck
    A transport move or series of moves that actualizes the most efficient means of landing gear amphibiously. The single ‘Shuck’ is a term generally reserved for single- or two-Sea Zone transport moves involving a single transport group; while the double or ‘Shuck-shuck’ term describes a two-turn, four-Sea Zone transport action with one group of transports repeating the first leg depositing gear at an intermediate landing site, with a second transport group repeating the second leg, depositing the gear at it’s final location.

Skew
    The degree to which a force resists strength reduction when absorbing hits. Cannon fodder is required for good skew.

Strafe
    An attack that is designed to inflict asymmetrical losses in one or two rounds before retreating

sub; SN
    Submarine

Sucker Punch
    Any move that is potentially devastating but easily countered if seen ahead of time (or if encountered before)

tac
    Tactical Bomber

tnk
    Tank

tra; TRN
    Transport

Turn
    The 5-phase period of time when a particular side may act. When each side has taken their turn, that Round is complete.

Turtle; turtling
    A strategy that emphasizes survival by sacrificing liberty-of-action and/or initiative.  Generally involves a simultaneous withdrawal to core territories and ‘infantry-alone’ builds. Typically initiated by Germany (WEU+GER+SEU+EEU) on G3-4 in KGF; or by the USSR (RUS+CAU) as early as R2-3 in KRF.

U(#)
    The UK player’s turn in Round #X

UK
    The UK (British); also the UK capital when used as a territory

US
    The US (America)

VC
    Victory City

Territory Abbreviations:

Anglo
    Anglo-Egypt Sudan

AUS
    Australia

Baltic
    Sea Zone 5 (The Baltic Sea)

Bury
    Buryatia S.S.R.

CAU; Cauc; CAC; CAS
    Caucasus

ECan
    Eastern Canada

EE; EEU
    Eastern Europe

EUS
    Eastern United States

FIC; Frindo
    French IndoChina

GER;Berlin
    Germany the Territory (Ger Capital)

KAR
    Karelia

RUS
    Russia the Territory (USSR Capital)

SE; SEU
    Southern Europe

SZ(#)
    Sea Zone #X

WCan
    Western Canada

WE; WEU
    Western Europe

WRU
    West Russia

WUS; L.A.
    Western United States

• This will really help me since I’m pretty new to the “AAA” speak here - thanks!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Thanks! Now after my next game as Japan, I can feign expertise by making a casual remark about considering a JTDTM.  :-D

• @Herr:

Thanks! Now after my next game as Japan, I can feign expertise by making a casual remark about considering a JTDTM.  :-D

To help with your fakery, I recommend talking about a German WR/Cauc break, and Jap fighter reinforcement to Cauc along with the JTDTM.  :3

• 3/22/2012
    Added turtle, shuck, and bridge; added CAU and KAR.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m