• '10

Gents

I notice there are several threads here and there where people have shown and talked about the Large Supreme Maps that they had made.  I’d like to make a one stop shop for this info.  Anyone who has made a Large Supreme Map, please share with your info with others.  Please try to include the following info.

1.  What type of material was the map printed on.  Explain any pros or cons.

2.  Cost

3.  If you had it made at a print shop (not work), please give the name of the shop and contact info if possible.

4.  Pictures.  We would love to see your masterpieces.

Thanks

• these are the two i have;

corgated plastic-
    cons:warps, hard to store.
    pros, hard ridged surface.

vinyl-
    cons: soft, retains rolled shape, need to be placed on a flat surface.
    pros: easy to store.

• '10

Gents

I recently made a large Spring 1942 (with neutrals) using IL’s Supreme map file.  All I can say is that it turned out very, very nice!

I had it printed on a 54x27 inch map.  The material I had it printed on is generally called a “Trade Show Retractable Print” material.  This is the kind that you pull out of a retractable roller similar to the white screens you use for movies or projectors.  There are several variations of this material.  The one that was used for my map is called “Decolit”.

Pros
    The print comes out very clean.  It also has an anti-curl feature.  So it lays very flat on the table even when it has been rolled up after a while.  In fact The Decolit also has a slight rubbery feel to it.  So pieces tend not to slide around if you bump the table.  This also makes it resistant to liquids.  If you spill something on it, it wipes off very easily and without staining (at least with cherry coke :-D) if you wipe it quickly.  But the biggest Pro for this material is that mat finish.  You get virtually no glare from it, even in direct sun light.

Cons
    The only real cons with this material is that it is a bit on the thin side.  So you must use this on a smooth flat surface.  However, I assume this really isn’t a problem for most people.  The only other con is that Decolit is a bit more expensive compared to other materials.  I was told that the anti-curling feature was the main reason for the added expense.  This map set me back about $140 plus $13 tax.  I could have had this made on banner material for almost half the price but there would have been glare issues.  I’m glad I went the Decolit.

One thing I would have changes if I was able to modify the map would be to chance the color of the IPC numbers in the neutral countries from white to grey to give to show a little bit more clearly that they are neutral.

• You have to ask for the maximum Mil plastic thickness.

They come in different weights, and you probably got the thin stuff. The thicker stuff is about 24-32 weight. You can also print them on mouse-pad material ( online printers, not fracking kinkos)

goto AAA.flag and banner.com

• You have to use the maximum thickness for printing on that material about 24-32 weight.

You can also print on a mouse-pad material which is really thick

look up AAA dot flag and banner dot com for info

• '10

@Imperious:

You have to use the maximum thickness for printing on that material about 24-32 weight.

You can also print on a mouse-pad material which is really thick

look up AAA dot flag and banner dot com for info

I went to 5 different print shops in my area to check out the printing material and I thought the decolit was the best.  Thicker material was available but it would have to be a custom order and at higher cost.  I also found similar material that was thicker but thought the surface material was a little bit more coarse.

Over all I’m very please with what I got.  I would have like something more thicker but as long as I use it on a table it’s just fine.

By the way, is this what you were talking about? http://www.aaaflag.com/

• yea them

• NEVER USE PLASTIC MARKERS!!! :)  I live by the motto.  I printed This map its so massive and amazing and i went a little over kill but bought 3 1942 Spring, 1940 Europe/Pacific and have everything i need.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

I scanned my revised board, enlarged and printed it out, it measures over 5foot by 3, i also enjoyed big world on triplea so i made my own and printed it as well. I stuck them down on each side of a large sheet of cardboard and covered with clear contact. No more knocking over units in tight territories. Have pics in my mediafire account but am not allowed to post on here as yet.

• Another solution
    I bought a 4 x 8 world map. Cost $85
    I glued it on 4 x 8 (5/8 plywood). Cost $20
    Repainted the border for WWII situation -1939,40,41 or 42. (Time = between 4 and 6 hours)
    Cover the the map with styrene .040 or .060  (Cost $20)

I also used old Kitchen table legs that I can remove anytime I want. (Cost = 0)

• Sponsor

I was on here a while ago and someone cutup, scanned, enlarged and posted a 1940 global map. I remember that he correctly connected the Amur border with SZ#5, he greatly enhanced the convoy and kamikaze symbols for better visability, and he gave the enclosed Russian body of water a SZ#. I wanted to download his work but I was distracted and I lost his post. Anyone know the map or artist I’m talking about, and what threat I might find his work?

• '10

For some reason he wrote to wizards of the coast to ask permission to post it. They denied, so he chose not to post it. It’s a shame, it looked really great.

Here’s the thread:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=22238.0

• Sponsor

@Sime:

For some reason he wrote to wizards of the coast to ask permission to post it. They denied, so he chose not to post it. It’s a shame, it looked really great.

Here’s the thread:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=22238.0

Thank you very much for guiding me there. Sucks to get posts deleted (same thing happened to me with my much improved handbook, something about copy-write or something)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m