• '10

I am very pleased with the new rules regarding Gibraltar and the Straight.  I always thought that Gibraltar was under represented in importance in AAA in the past.  It was not until AA50 that it was given any importance at all (NA for Italy and UK)

Now that it controls the straight I think we will see alot more action in that theater.  Also the Pressure on the Axis and the incentive for going through Spain (or bringing them into the war) will be more historical.

My only concern (and maybe a house rule will have to be made) is that Subs should be able to go through…  Both Allied and Axis Submarines went through during the war.

• Perhaps a simple die roll for subs passing thru the straight is in order?
    Thoes426 :evil:

• '10

@thoes426:

Perhaps a simple die roll for subs passing thru the straight is in order?

Interesting!  What do you suggest?  (Remember the Movie DAS BOOT?)  It was not always easy but it was possible.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

I am very pleased with the new rules regarding Gibraltar and the Straight.  I always thought that Gibraltar was under represented in importance in AAA in the past.  It was not until AA50 that it was given any importance at all (NA for Italy and UK)

Now that it controls the straight I think we will see alot more action in that theater.  Also the Pressure on the Axis and the incentive for going through Spain (or bringing them into the war) will be more historical.

My only concern (and maybe a house rule will have to be made) is that Subs should be able to go through…  Both Allied and Axis Submarines went through during the war.

Reading the true neutral rules, I don’t believe Germany wants to control Spain. The price is very high.

• well the way i see it is this: three things could have happened to the sub,
    1 Detected by hostile forces, and sunk!
    2-5 Detected by hostile forces and forced to dive deep, endure depth charge attack and slip away after enemy gives up attacks.
    6 Undetected by hostile forces, safe passage.

This would be a single die roll with no other combat rolls or actions involved, for 2-5 the sub would remain in the seazone until the owning players next turn, when it could continue on to its destination.

I would think the sub would not get to defend itself since the goal was to either escape into the Atalantic or enter the Med to attack shipping within.
    A direct attack upon ships in the Gibraltar sea zone itself would require no die rolls and combat would function as stated in the rule book.

• @Driel310:

@FieldMarshalGames:

Reading the true neutral rules, I don’t believe Germany wants to control Spain. The price is very high.

Spain is a true neutral? I’d have expected them to be pro-Axis. Then again, just moving one infantry into Spain and thereby taking control of it would have been a bit too easy. Also, Franco categorically denied german passage through Spain.On the other hand, they did send the blue Division to Russia.

• This is definately a rule that has been long needed for the game, but without any form of defence for Gibraltar it seems like an easy take for the Axis? If Germany is able to wipe out the U.K. fleet on G1 as people are suggesting then it sounds like an easy grab for Italy that has long lasting consequences for the Med… G2 would have perhaps a fighter or two landing there thus ensuring a real fight for the allies to retake it and keeping the Italian fleet safe from Allied Naval units.  It’s like fortifying the Carolinas on PAC40 it can hold back the Allies for several extra rounds that make all the difference.

• '10

I think we are going to see alot more action in Gibraltar than ever before.

• UK needs Gibralter to shuttle down aircraft to MED and N Africa quickly. it would be wise for Italy to take Gibralter right away to stop this and deter UK navy from entering MED.

• Which would prevent Italy from camping their fleet by Egypt, thus changing many things. (India, middle east, etc.)

• @BadSpeller:

Which would prevent Italy from camping their fleet by Egypt, thus changing many things. (India, middle east, etc.)

Yes definitley, and again all I have to say is MALTA, MALTA,MALTA!!

• @lnmajor:

@BadSpeller:

Which would prevent Italy from camping their fleet by Egypt, thus changing many things. (India, middle east, etc.)

Yes definitley, and again all I have to say is MALTA, MALTA,MALTA!!

Not to be confused with the “Marsha, Marsha, Marsha” Brady Bunch quote. :-D

• Ah yes,…and Malta!

• definitley can be a game changer

• '10

Exciting that both Malta and Gibraltar will be much more important in this game.

• Just wondering did Germany or Italy ever invaded Gibraltar or Malta?

• '10

@Dylan:

Just wondering did Germany or Italy ever invaded Gibraltar or Malta?

No, but it was always threatened.

• Both locations were bombed often by the axis….I think Malta earned the nickname “most bombed place on earth”

• @Dylan:

Just wondering did Germany or Italy ever invaded Gibraltar or Malta?

If you are interested in more information, Wikipedia has good articles on the German plans to attack these targets. These operations were not undertaken, but there is some fascinating history there.

• The plans for Gibraltar were called Operation Herkules

• Malta plans: Operation Felix

• '22 '19 '18

@FieldMarshalGames:

I seem to recall reading somewhere on these boards that subs are allowed to pass through enemy controlled straights.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m