Any Hope of Making CHINA a REAL 7th Player Nation?

• '10

I know we are still days away from the release of AA50 and it is maybe a little early to start Moding the Rules already but I Have the following problem and the following question:

Problem: This game is SO popular and anticipated that my game group can’t handle it!  Every member who has ever wanted to play ANY game with us has come out of retirement to get a seat at the AA50 game table.  I would like to see if it is possible or even conceivable that CHINA could be made into a 7th player.  Every seat at my game group table is booked for the next three games already and if this continues I will have to quit my job and become a professional AAA Host! (I wish!)

Question:  Can CHINA be played as a 7th player?  What changes need to be made in order to allow this to happen without breaking the game?

Your opinions, experience and insights are appreciated…

• I have made China a 6th player in Pacific, and the house rules for that are posted in the house rules section.  I am waiting to get the game to see what might be required for A&A50, and see what modifications are needed.  Bottom line is giving China some sort of aid from the US via the “Hump Airlift” over the Himalayas and allowing them to get aircraft from the US.  Bsically, you will need to put in some sort of Lend-Lease rule.

• '10

@timerover51:

I have made China a 6th player in Pacific, and the house rules for that are posted in the house rules section.  I am waiting to get the game to see what might be required for A&A50, and see what modifications are needed.  Bottom line is giving China some sort of aid from the US via the “Hump Airlift” over the Himalayas and allowing them to get aircraft from the US.  Bsically, you will need to put in some sort of Lend-Lease rule.

I like this idea.  My only fear is that in the 1941 set-up, CHINA will fall before US Aid can reach them.  Just getting a US fighter to CHINA will take THREE Turns! And this is if the US sends the Fighter squadron from Pearl. (HI to AU - AU to IND - IND - CHN).  i will have to try this out on my own before I ask some poor sap to play the Chinese.

What if the CHINA IPCs could be spent in China to build more forces?  In addition to the “pop-up” INF?  I will explore this also, as long as it is not to overpowering and breaks the game for the Japs.

• I allow that as well, and no, in Pacific, it does not break the game at all.  Does limit the Japanese Rush to India.

• I’ll made a China mod rules after I play a couple of annyversary games. China will be a 7th player (with normal rules as should), mandatory techs and NOs and probably less powerful heavy bombers

• '10

@Funcioneta:

I’ll made a China mod rules after I play a couple of annyversary games. China will be a 7th player (with normal rules as should), mandatory techs and NOs and probably less powerful heavy bombers

Awesome!  Thanks.  Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve played 3 games of AA50.
    My advice would be to let China produce 1 inf/territory (not 1inf/2 territories), for each territory that it owns in the Collect Income Phase (not in the Purchase Units phase).
    That way you keep within the spirit of the OOB rules, just beefing China up a bit.

• @Perry:

My advice would be to let China produce 1 inf/territory (not 1inf/2 territories), for each territory that it owns in the Collect Income Phase (not in the Purchase Units phase).
    That way you keep within the spirit of the OOB rules, just beefing China up a bit.

…… well 1/1 might be ok but then i would buff up japan wouldn’t you think.
    i would make japan either get a few land forces back or get an extra few ipc’s like 30-50 ipcs were you want!

• '10

@italiansarecoming:

@Perry:

…… well 1/1 might be ok but then i would buff up japan wouldn’t you think.
    i would make japan either get a few land forces back or get an extra few ipc’s like 30-50 ipcs were you want!

According to other players here… CHINA is a goner in 1941 set-up on J1 or J2!!!  Maybe 1/1 is the best way to go?  Post here if anyone actually tries this.  How long can CHINA last?

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Easy

Just give them an income of  1 ipc for each starting territory and a capital in Sikang worth 6.

That would give the Chinese a total of 12 ipcs, to start.
    You could also give them a 5 ipc bonus National Objective, for controlling all their starting territories.
    And another bonus of 5 ipcs, if they can take Kiangsu and Munchuria.
    That would allow for an average of 12-18 ipcs, with a possible shot at 29 total ipcs in range, if you include all the bonus cash, and French Indo China, which should be more than enough to entertain a full player.

You’d have to give them some more units to make it interesting though, otherwise I can’t imagine anyone wanting to play. Probably 2 fighters, 1 aa gun, 1 art, and some extra inf at the capital would be enough to make things pretty entertaining.

• I would say 1 replaceable fighter, 1 art, plus 1 free infantry per two territories rounded up so 3 gets you 2 Infantry

Plus one free infantry a turn that represents the Communists.

I say if you’re going to go through the trouble of modding in a 7th player, you might as well get rid of the confusing China specific rules while you’re at it. There are no IPC values written in the China spaces, so you could easily get away with reworking them for a Capital. Otherwise the mechanics are rather boring for a full player. No money to manage, no capital to defend, not even a second fighter to launch two attacks in a single round. Who would even want to bother? China as a full player is easy enough to pull off, they just need an IC in Sikang (for the wartime capital at Chunking) and a few more units to toy around with.

National Objective 1 “Second Unified Front” - control all of the starting Chinese territories + 5 ipcs.
    National Objective 2 “Greater China” - control of Manchuria and Kiansu + 5 ipcs.
    National Objective 3 “Burma Road” - if Allies control Burma +5 ipcs.

Here, you can use this for their Marker. I made the PNG at 1 inch square, 300 dpi so you can print it out easily. You should just be able to save the image below and print at whichever size you prefer.

Have fun playing, and let us know how it turns out. :)

• Once I have my copies, and can compare starting set up to the Pacific game, and also see how it compares to Xeno’s Pacific at War, where the game starts in 1937, so it is just Japan and China for the first 3 turns or so. I will see about posting some ideas.  My guess is that some sort of outside assistance is going to be required though, from the other Allied countries.  Oddly enough, some of the countries that actually assisted China prior to 1941 included Nazi Germany and Fascist italy.  The Germans supplied a military mission to train the Chinese Army, while the Italians supplied quite a large number of planes and also air crew to fly them.  The Soviets also supplied the Nationalist Chinese with aircraft, hedging their bets on Mao and his forces.

• Capital’s IC should not be more than 3 IPCs value. With a 6 ipcs Sikang, Japan could strat bomb chineses until 12 IPCs value  :-o

Well strat bombing is going to cause problems no matter what we do, but at least at 6 they could afford to place  enough units to be compelling as a player. And just because the Japanese could potentially bomb them to a value of 12, that doesn’t guarantee it will happen. Maybe the Japanese player rolls a 1, or the Chinese AA gun hits. In any case, the value of the capital needs to be high enough to support a full player. Otherwise you’d have to spread the income around, which would likely favor Japan (for factory purchases.) Have it concentrated in Sikang would make the defense easier to manage. Italy starts with 10, but they have more opportunities for expansion, and more NAs. Why bother bringing the Chinese into the fight unless, they’re strong enough to put up a decent fight?

I think Sikang at 6 would be fine, maybe down to 5, but even that feels low for a Capital.

• That might work, along with some form of Lend-Lease assistance from the US, starting before the war.

• The war game: world war 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Has china as an 8th player lol 8 players imagine that

Look at that game and see how china can hold and give a fight a gainst japan.  I also think that china may have to get a lot of modding and so will japan and japan will have to be careful since the japs may skip asia and go all out on usa yah!

• '10

Thanks guys!  I will play test some of these before the sunday game and let you know how it worked.

• '10

Tried this out on the weekend.  Had a 7 player game!  Japan was not a real experienced player so I do not consider it a FULL PLAY TEST.

It seemed to work until USA dropped 4 fighters and a bomber to CHINA as lendlease!!  Japan was kicked right out of ASIA by CHINA!

Here is ver 1 of the CHINA 7th player set-up…  Tell me what you think?

China goes BEFORE USA in the Turn order so Lend Lease will not allow a unit to move twice in one round.

CHINA  “The Sleeping Giant”                            7 IPCs

Sikang: 1 INF, 1 ART, 1 FTR, 1 IC
    Yunnan: 1 INF
    Fukien: 2 INF
    Hupeh: 2 INF
    Suiyuan: 2 INF
    Ningxia: 1 INF
    Chinghai: 1 INF

NOs: 
    *Gain 4 IPC if Burma is controled by Allies “Burma Road”
    *Gain 2 IPC if holding Starting territories
    *Gain 5 IPC if Allies control Kiangsu, Manchuria, French Indo-China  “Greater China”

Notes:  China Builds two INF per turn in addition to units purchased.  INF can be placed in any controlled CHINESE territory up to a maximum of 3 INF per territory.  ARM, ART, can only be built on the IC at a maximum of ONE UNIT PER TURN.  Lend Lease - Any US units landing in CHINA become Chinese controlled units (Air units etc).

• You made China into Godzilla im afraid. It needs to be juiced down.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m