• '19 Moderator

Let talk about one of my favorite things  :-D

I think I could take this guy, but it would be close.  For some reason Guinness goes down like the Titanic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pfq0nY86sM

• That was very impressive but what’s the point if you can’t take the time to taste it?  :| Waste of perfectly good stout.  :-(

Check out this site if you like beer.

www.beeradvocate.com

Loads and loads of review of beers and pubs organized in a reasonably easy to use way. Homebrewers will find the homebrew forum very useful although it can be a bit repetitive if you frequent the site often.

You probably should have named the thread Ale/Lager or just Beer. All ale is beer not all beer is ale. All lager is beer not all beer is lager.

So what’s your prefered Ale?

And Guinness goes down like the Titanic for you? It is a very lite bodied beer. It has the same OG as Bud.

• '19 Moderator

By “titanic” I mean quickly and smoothly ;)  It is my favorite top ferment…

• @dezrtfish:

By “titanic” I mean quickly and smoothly ;)  It is my favorite top ferment…

Ahhhh. I equated Titanic with huge and hence ‘really filling.’ Guinness is certainly a very drinkable beer.

I’m a bit more partial to Beamish myself in the Irish Stout style but it is tough to find in my neck of the woods.

• BEER SNOB WARNING!!!  :mrgreen:

@dezrtfish:

By “titanic” I mean quickly and smoothly

The Titanic didn’t go down smoothly at all. lol  I imagine you starting to chug a Guinness, only to have half miss your mouth and the other half to come out of your nose.  :lol:

• Newcastle…  THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!

• which are the most selled beers in USA

are they of USA or European origin

• 2007 AAR League

guiness and newcastle are excellent.

nothing is better than guiness floated on harp lager, the half and half.

but i’m still a bud heavy drinker with coor light my favorite in both types of domestics.

but thank God for Canada and Crown Royal and coke, absolutely perfect.(not beer, but its great).

• @Amon:

which are the most selled beers in USA

are they of USA or European origin

I believe it is Bud Light. Brewed in the states.

@ncscswitch:

Newcastle…  THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!

I think Samuel Smith subs pretty well when you can find it.

• @balungaloaf:

nothing is better than guiness floated on harp lager, the half and half.

It’s good, but bumblebee is better.  Guinness & Boddington’s

but thank God for Canada and Crown Royal and coke, absolutely perfect.(not beer, but its great).

Bourbon and coke is MUCH better, if you can get it reasonably.

@frimmel:

I think Samuel Smith subs pretty well when you can find it.

Yeah, probably any Sammy Smith over Newcastle - Oatmeal Stout, Organic Ale or Lager, Winter Welcome, Nut Brown Ale…

I think Newcastle draft from somewhere besides the US would be damn good though…

• '19 Moderator

@Jermofoot:

BEER SNOB WARNING!!!   :mrgreen:

@dezrtfish:

By “titanic” I mean quickly and smoothly

The Titanic didn’t go down smoothly at all. lol  I imagine you starting to chug a Guinness, only to have half miss your mouth and the other half to come out of your nose.  :lol:

It has happened…

• '19 Moderator

To be perfectly honest I have had a craving for good old redneck Coors original lately, don’t get me wrong there are usualy 5 or more kinds of beer in my refrigerator on any given sunday, but I’ve been having alot of “code blues” Lately.

It’s also a rule in my house that the fridge will never be without at least one Guinness.

I am also planning on starting to make my own Mead, unfortunately I don’t have time before I deploy to get started so it will have to wait a year.

• @dezrtfish:

I am also planning on starting to make my own Mead, unfortunately I don’t have time before I deploy to get started so it will have to wait a year.

Actually if you got someone you can trust to rack it a couple of times for you I’d say get it in the fermenter before you go. Mead can take a ‘long time’ even the ones that are ready quick. Mead is tricky or I’m just not very good at making it.  :|

Coors might not pass the ‘snob’ test but it is very good at being an American Pale Lager. As far as ‘Macroswill’ goes I’d put Coors in the top five.

• @dezrtfish:

I would brew beer first if you haven’t yet.  It’s not that intensive to make a decent brew.

• @Jermofoot:

@dezrtfish:

I would brew beer first if you haven’t yet.  It’s not that intensive to make a decent brew.

You’re sort of right, Jermo (have you brewed before?) Mead is really easier and quicker to get in the fermenter as it doesn’t require a boil. Mead is harder in that it takes more finessee and needs more time. Some beers can be ready to drink in a month while most meads won’t be ready to rack for the first time in a month.

To brew up a stout or brown ale you have more procedure (unless you just get a can of hopped extract) but more wiggle room that will cover your errors.

• I may have posted this before, but with the question about US beer I think it deserves repeating…

What do American Beers and sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both F’ing close to water.
    :evil:

• @ncscswitch:

I may have posted this before, but with the question about US beer I think it deserves repeating…

What do American Beers and sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both F’ing close to water.
    :evil:

These days that probably should be amended to ‘non-craft beers’ instead of just American Beers.

American craft brewers are leading the charge in new styles and pushing the envelope. Most of the Bud/Miller/Coors fit your description but pick up something from Stone Brewing or Great Lakes Brewing, or Victory Brewing (their Storm King Stout bears very little resemblance to water) or even Boston Beer Company whose Halertau Imperial Pilsner qualifies as an alpha acid delivery vehichle.

• @frimmel:

You’re sort of right, Jermo (have you brewed before?) Mead is really easier and quicker to get in the fermenter as it doesn’t require a boil. Mead is harder in that it takes more finessee and needs more time. Some beers can be ready to drink in a month while most meads won’t be ready to rack for the first time in a month.

To brew up a stout or brown ale you have more procedure (unless you just get a can of hopped extract) but more wiggle room that will cover your errors.

I have brewed beer before, and have been present for mead.  I know that beer has varying degrees of involvement…and that’s up to you.  I don’t go so far as to make the malt, but I don’t get a container and dump prepacks into it either.  :lol:

• That is about what I do when I get off my lazy butt. I do kits- extract, hops and some grains to steep for color and body. Although the honey wheat I sometimes make doesn’t require any malts beyond the extract.

I hope one day to mash my own grains. Start from ‘scratch.’

I always have ideas about growing my own hops come spring but don’t really have a place to do so.

• @frimmel:

That is about what I do when I get off my lazy butt. I do kits- extract, hops and some grains to steep for color and body. Although the honey wheat I sometimes make doesn’t require any malts beyond the extract.

I hope one day to mash my own grains. Start from ‘scratch.’

I always have ideas about growing my own hops come spring but don’t really have a place to do so.

I would love to do the whole scratch thing.  As can reasonably be done…I wouldn’t cultivate the yeast or anything or maybe blow the glass for bottles.  Right now I’m probably right in the middle when it comes to having a kit and doing it all yourself.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m