• Okay where I live winter is coming and its GREAT to watch a movie when its cold. Any movie ideas? I just finished watching the bourne series. and two weeks ago I watched band of brothers. btw theres a sequal called the Pacific comig out next year. anyway any movie ideas?

• Das Boot

• Trailer Park Boys
    The Prestige

• those are pretty original suggestions, I havent heard of them! cool. The first and last diehard was pretty awesome too

• check out the imdb top 250 movies, many very good movies on that list, both new and old movies.

• Hey thanx!

• Some of my all time favorite movies are Gladitor, Shawshank Redemption and The 13th Warrior.

• Tombstone, Saving Private Ryan, and Lord of the Rings

• I own the extended editions of lord of the rings. IF you have ever watched them theay are AMAZING! seriously the best series I own. I actually hate the movie saving privite ryan. (thank you though for the suggestion) tombstone is a cool one though…gotta check that out tonight!

• Three war movies you might enjoy watching back-to-back are:

Tora, Tora, Tora
    Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
    Midway

The first movie is a big-budget reconstruction of the events (from about mid-1940) leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbour, which is depicted in detail in the second half of the film.  It sticks fairly closely to the historical elements – the kind of film that might not necessarily appeal to general audiences, but which historians ought to like.

The second movie is a retelling of the Doolittle bombing raid on Tokyo in April 1942.  It’s based on an account written by one of the pilots, Major Ted Lawson.  There are some propagandist elements to the film (it was released in 1944), but on the whole it limits itself to a factual account of the mission.

The third film (which includes stock footage from the first two, plus lots of WWII combat footage) uses the aftermath of the Doolittle Raid as a springboard to tell the story of the events leading up to the Battle of Midway.  About a third of the movie revolves around a fictitious character (played by Charlton Heston), but the other two-thirds of the film gives a pretty good account of the Midway operation.  A&A players will probably get much enjoyment from the various scenes in which Yamamoto on his flagship and Nimitz at his headquarters move little ship models around on large maps of the Pacific.

• What is it about Saving Private Ryan that you don’t like? If you don’t mind me asking.

• Please dont spam me some negative karma but

the whole idea of several people having to die for one private. No thats just stupid. The battles are pretty good, its action packed.and I like that. I just hate the reason for the movie. Saving one private. its a dumb mission.Its a good movie I am not slighting the movie, its the just principle.

(Its just an opinion guys dont freak out)

• Yeah pretty stupid since it is loosely based on a real event.

http://www.buffalo.edu/ubreporter/archives/vol30/vol30n2/n3.html

• I know it is. And like I stated earlier I am not trying to hurt anyones feelings.

• I respect your opinion even though I disagree with it. You should take light in the fact that most if not all of the characters in the squad had the same opinion as you. And even if you did not like their mission, that still doesn’t alter the quality of the movie.

• Yeah, the movie was pretty good.

• @Brain:

Tombstone, Saving Private Ryan, and Lord of the Rings

Tombstone, you have good taste.

• What do you want to watch?

Comedy: 
    The Big Lewboski, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Knocked Up, Wedding Crashers, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Burn After Reading, Snatch

Drama:
    No Country for Old Men, V for Vendetta, American Beauty, The Dark Knight, The Departed, There Will Be Blood, 12 Angry Men, Sin City, Raging Bull, Gangs of New York, Kill Bill, Million Dollar Baby

Western:
    Unforgiven, (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly), Appaloosa, 3:10 to Yuma (both original and remake), Open Range.

TV Series:
    The Shield, Battlestar Galactica (the new one), The Office, It’s Always Sunny in Philidelphia, Rescue Me, Sons of Anarchy

That should get you through the Winter… :)

• @souL:

What do you want to watch?

Comedy: 
    The Big Lewboski, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Knocked Up, Wedding Crashers, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Burn After Reading, Snatch

Drama:
    No Country for Old Men, V for Vendetta, American Beauty, The Dark Knight, The Departed, There Will Be Blood, 12 Angry Men, Sin City, Raging Bull, Gangs of New York, Kill Bill, Million Dollar Baby

Western:
    Unforgiven, (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly), Appaloosa, 3:10 to Yuma (both original and remake), Open Range.

TV Series:
    The Shield, Battlestar Galactica (the new one), The Office, It’s Always Sunny in Philidelphia, Rescue Me, Sons of Anarchy

That should get you through the Winter… :)

A pretty damn good list.  I would suggest Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels before Snatch.  Both are good, but I like Lock Stock better for some reason (but it’s less “Hollywood”).  Also, the whole Man With No Name Trilogy is worth a viewing, and I’d argue that A Fistful of Dollars is more entertaining than The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.  You could also follow up with the Kurosawa movies they are loosely based on.  And I really enjoyed the BBC Office, but after I watched the American one from the start it grew on me too.

• Do any of you watch Dexter on Showtime? That show rocks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m