• Sorry you’re right, I meant the Caucasus.  My opponent is very good, but he was probably playing Russia a little too aggressively.  One thing that worked out well for me in taking Caucasus in G1, I killed both Russian fighters.  The Russian subs attacked my BB and trans on their own in R2 but failed, and the UK airforce was out of range, so the German BB and trans actually survived until round 3 and were able to dump a second amphibious assault on round 2.  I’m not saying this is a sure-fire strat, just something to consider if Russia is lax in their defense of their territories.

• @Grogtune:

Sorry you’re right, I meant the Caucasus.  My opponent is very good, but he was probably playing Russia a little too aggressively.  One thing that worked out well for me in taking Caucasus in G1, I killed both Russian fighters.  The Russian subs attacked my BB and trans on their own in R2 but failed, and the UK airforce was out of range, so the German BB and trans actually survived until round 3 and were able to dump a second amphibious assault on round 2.  I’m not saying this is a sure-fire strat, just something to consider if Russia is lax in their defense of their territories.

Yes, that’s a good example of how playing with the Black Sea open can be an advantage to the Axis as well.  So your opponent must have placed the fighter from Moscow on the Caucasus then.

• Yes he did.  I’m sure he never even considered an all-out attack on Caucaus

• I should have asked earlier but did you build an IC in Africa with this strategy either in Egypt or South Africa? It seems like the idea of building an IC in South Africa isn’t so popular in AA1942.

• UK put an IC in India in this game

• @Concealer:

I should have asked earlier but did you build an IC in Africa with this strategy either in Egypt or South Africa? It seems like the idea of building an IC in South Africa isn’t so popular in AA1942.

No, I didn’t purchase any additional ICs as the Allies.  Once Africa was secure, I focused solely on Norway, then Karelia, and finally WE with the UK.  I had 6 transports running between the US and Africa, making an additional IC unnecessary.

The one time I saw the UK purchase an IC in South Africa it was used primarily as an airbase to harass the Japanese fleet, and the strategy seemed mildly successful.  I have never seen an IC placed in Egypt.

• So I tried this strategy today with my own little variations. For one I didn’t completely go after Germany. I sent my Moscow fighter down to Egypt to defend and spread out my Russian attack in Europe to take West Russia, Belorussia and the Ukraine.

G1 took back Belorussia and the Ukraine and walked into an undefended Leningrad. They also took out the UK ships in the Mediterranean. There was an attempt on Egypt but it failed =) They left with there bomber and didn’t take the land

With the UK I went with the IC in India and held my navy there. I put two guys on the transport in Australia and moved them towards Africa. I used my fighter on the AC to kill the Japanese transport and landed him where he came from. I also 1v1 the Japanese sub and hit on the roll! woo!  I also took out the destroyer and transport with my bomber and two fighters from London. I landed the fighters on a AC I bought in SZ2.

Japan went with transports and a bomber I think…Russia had stacked all its Infantry on the Japanese boarder so they went with an amphibious assault and some planes but it didn’t work. They took out the transport I left for dead (with the UK in hopes of it saving the India fleet) but…they still took that out. They also took the Pearl Harbor fleet but were left not being able to take China. I felt Japan failed on this round for the most part.

Here is where I think I messed up. I took Algeria easy and had planes in range next turn to do some damage but I lost my transports and cruiser so easily on G2…Though at this point Germany and Japan were looking sorry.

By round three Germany had failed at taking control of the seas, the Med fleet was gone and so was their northern fleet. They tried to build up an air force to prevent my navy but it failed. Africa was lost to them, Russia was actually pushing them back and the UK simply put troops in Archangel.

As the game was left germany had holed up in Berlin W.E. and S.E with not much hope on the horizon. Japan had taken Calcutta and has a sweet navy to boot so my attempts to slow them were…okay. Russia has a land army about to retake India though and the U.S. forces built up in Sinkiang is looking to invade as well. I think this strategy, though I did take my own twist on it, works. I’m not sure how to save Germany.

• Good to see you on here Grogtune. Perhaps you will learn the skills necessary to defeat your Windsor opponents. :lol:

• And I’m glad you learned that you can load onto your allies transports Mike.

• Touche.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m