Possible new rule book, and/or boxes with correct stuff?

• Due to the MASSIVE amount of errata ALREADY set for this game, and still not being complete I can’t help but wonder something. Will there be a new rulebook and box tops with the correct beginning placements on them? If there is an updated version of said things, will those of us who currently have A&AP40 be able to recieve the CORRECT versions of the rules, AND starting set up boxes, or would we be forced to buy the next printing of the game? I don’t have access to a printer, and I don’t want to pay the library per page printed nor write them all down by pen and paper. I feel that if either or both is updated in a new print, that those of us who currently own them should be able to get the corrected stuff much like we can the new battle strip.

• yeah, we should get this.  we won’t.

• Customizer

i just want a new rulebook…

i’ll even pay for the shipping, just ship me a new rulebook please!

• @Veqryn:

i just want a new rulebook…

i’ll even pay for the shipping, just ship me a new rulebook please!

I would totally agree to that and just write down the new starting set up.

• we paid them $90, they owe us the correct items.

• @MaherC:

we paid them $90, they owe us the correct items.

Yeah that’s true. As far as the set up goes, there are only a few minor differences there. If there were only a few rule corrections as well then cool, but yeah, There are way too many. And like I said before, for those of us without printers, it’s a pain to write all of the corrections down.

• The Errata for the Anniversary edition is bigger. Who’s demanding updated rule books for that?

The power of a little extra tartar sauce is amazing.

• In my request to WOTC, I asked for two new box lid stickers. Didnt really need the boxes.

• @moompix:

The Errata for the Anniversary edition is bigger. Who’s demanding updated rule books for that?

I don’t own 50 or I would have been complaining about that.  I play on other people’s copies :)

Besides, from seeing '50, and the quality of the product, more goodwill was earned.  50 doesn’t feel cheap like this game.

• The new rulebook will be just as screwed up as the old one. It’s the same chimps. They don’t want to be bothered in the middle of their Magic game.

• Official Q&A

@Craig:

MaherC on January 25, 2010, 12:45:18 pm

Krieghund on January 22, 2010, 12:24:13 pm
    Playtesters never test the final product.  Once it’s final, it’s a little too late for testing.  Once the game design is finalized, it’s up to the editors to make sure that nothing changes during the translation from prototype to final product.  There are many steps in which mistakes can be made.

Kreig you seem to be a decent guy, but I declare shenanigans on what you say here regarding the map itself.   Are you saying the map you played on had the lines for the sea zones correct?  That the names on the board were spelled correctly?   That the setup didn’t have misspellings?     How about the rule regarding IPC values for Maj ICs?  No one caught the issue in Australia?   Or the rule about IC’s on an island?  No one caught NZ?

I will let Krieghund answer these specific questions himself, but I will say that in working on AA50 and then AAE 40/AA40 Global, he is right in saying these issues (or the vast majority) are coming from the WotC side of the equation.

I am not saying that at all.  I cannot and will not comment on where in the process any particular error occurred.  My point was simply that there are many points in the process in which they may occur, and certain parts of the process may be beyond the control of any specific individual.  That being said, game design and production is a team effort, and we are all collectively responsible for the final product.  Anyone outside the process cannot possibly know which individual or individuals are to blame for any given error, and I’m not about to point fingers.

• @Craig:

And Krieghund is doing more than you can possible imagine to try and fix the problems that are there now.

….  Larry and Krieghund are working hard …

While I share your unhappiness with what has transpired, Krieghund shouldn’t be the target of your disgust.  He happens to be here dealing with the situation, taking your concerns and presenting them to the proper people.  Keep sending in your emails, letters, and phone calls to WotC so that the information that is being presented by Krieghund is being validated by your independent voice.

Agreed, please stop targeting anger at Krieghund.  The Errata if unofficial after all, and is a work in progress. And, AND, AND, he answers own questions again and again, many of which have been answered more that once.  Please cut Kreighund some slack. :-D

• I don’t think the errata is that big of deal, almost all games have them, and this one isn’t unusually long, despite what some are saying.

I also appreciate that the errata was posted here, allowing for questions and modification, rather than having it just appear on the WotC website and then needing to be updated more times there. Which may have caused even more complaints.

• Customizer

@moompix:

The Errata for the Anniversary edition is bigger. Who’s demanding updated rule books for that?

Yeah, a little.  But the errors (IMHO) are of a ‘lesser’ nature (we don’t use Fighter Interceptors = the math shows it isn’t worth the risk - makes sb’s pointless, and we keep the straits open so no biggy there, so this is arguable from others I suppose). And as another said, AA50 was just better quality all-around.

• @Craig:

I am just talking about my perception of what is happening here.  I believe that we do a good job with our end of the process.

Again, we are not perfect, but we aren’t the problem here, IMHO.

@Craig:

I am just talking about my perception of what is happening here.  I believe that we do a good job with our end of the process.

Again, we are not perfect, but we aren’t the problem here, IMHO.

And all of you did a fine good job. :)

One way to look at all the criticism regarding the map/typos/etc. is that if the game was mediocre or even just good most people wouldn’t bother complaining so much about details but would complain about the game in general. AAP40 is my 6th A&A game and it is one of the best I’ve played so far.

• @Krieghund:

@Craig:

MaherC on January 25, 2010, 12:45:18 pm

Krieghund on January 22, 2010, 12:24:13 pm
    Playtesters never test the final product.  Once it’s final, it’s a little too late for testing.  Once the game design is finalized, it’s up to the editors to make sure that nothing changes during the translation from prototype to final product.  There are many steps in which mistakes can be made.

Kreig you seem to be a decent guy, but I declare shenanigans on what you say here regarding the map itself.   Are you saying the map you played on had the lines for the sea zones correct?  That the names on the board were spelled correctly?   That the setup didn’t have misspellings?     How about the rule regarding IPC values for Maj ICs?  No one caught the issue in Australia?   Or the rule about IC’s on an island?  No one caught NZ?

I will let Krieghund answer these specific questions himself, but I will say that in working on AA50 and then AAE 40/AA40 Global, he is right in saying these issues (or the vast majority) are coming from the WotC side of the equation.

I am not saying that at all.  I cannot and will not comment on where in the process any particular error occurred.  My point was simply that there are many points in the process in which they may occur, and certain parts of the process may be beyond the control of any specific individual.  That being said, game design and production is a team effort, and we are all collectively responsible for the final product.  Anyone outside the process cannot possibly know which individual or individuals are to blame for any given error, and I’m not about to point fingers.

Again, to clarify.  Not attacking anyone, except WOTC.  Someone had said all the threads eventually reach the point where we bash WOTC.

I said that more eyes were needed on the game before it was released.  I asked if the map was “correct” in regards to sea zones before it went gold, because if you guys saw the same typos and map lines on your beta copies, then…you missed errors.

If you didn’t have these issues, If Palau was spelled correctly etc, and Sea Zone 5/6 touched the proper land borders and WOTC changed lines on the map for some reason, then they are deserving of our contempt.

I don’t want to drop another $90 on Europe without trying at the least to get WOTC to take a look at the way they do things.

Look at the forum thread on getting extra pieces.  How many people have posted that they are getting cut and paste replies with no sign of people actually reading their email?  I had this, I called them (literally) on it, and boom.  I’m supposedly getting more Tac Bombers.  We’ll see.

Calling them chimps on the forum does nothing, actually take the 6 minutes and CALL THEM.    Even if you think you aren’t getting anything across, I’m sure they have to log calls, and when they see the complaints about insufficient pieces they might do the math and see that including more plastic is more cost efficient than paying 10 people $10.60 and hour to answer complaint calls.  Ever have a problem with a cell phone company?  Keep calling in.  They think like this.  I get a new phone from Verizon YEARLY because I call and complain when mine breaks 3 weeks after the warranty runs out.  Keep calling.  They see you are tying up a Rep. multiple times a week, they write off a new phone for you.  Just to make you go away.

• I have called WOTC reguarding all the errors and such.  I was told “If you have 6 Tac Bombers that is the number that was shipped with the game and were sticking by that number.”

Maybe WOTC thinks Customer Service is the customer servicing their needs ie lining their pockets.

• I’m hoping that if enough people complain they won’t make the same mistake w/Europe, or we’re all going to be back here in 4 months crying about Stukas.

Maybe that’s my stupid faith in humanity and the American worker…

• @Xayd74:

In my request to WOTC, I asked for two new box lid stickers. Didnt really need the boxes.

You could scan the box tops and print your own stickers… just a thought.

• again, doing things on our own, homebrew to make up for their lack of quality control.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m