Why do you like Axis and Allies?

• Just wondering and please explain.

Personally I like it for the stratagy and the screams and yells when rolling the dice for a major battle.  Its also just plain old FUN!!!

• '10

You’ve pretty much said it all.

• Because the little plastic guys and tanks make it seem less like playing a wargame is a stodgy intellectual exercise than cardboard chits with arcane symbols on them do.

• I got the game for my son to give him a wonderful experience learning about WWII and the history before and after.  There are so many learning opportunities in the game I doubt I can think of all.  It also gives me a reason to teach him how to compute statistical outcomes, and the value of investing for the future.  To play well, you have to learn to plan ahead.

• Played it with 3 friends in Middle School.  Then a decade later had some friends that we played a few games with.  Part is nostalgia, part is the getting together for something, part is the strategy.

• It’s the relationships with friends. Some good times… even if some had no more knowledge of WWII than Pearl Harbor and D-Day.

• It’s fun and I like the pieces.

• Because I like Risk AND WW2.

• Hello, I am Razor, and I play A&A because I have this military power fantazy that I need to play out, I would love to realize it, but it is better to the world that I practise it with A&A, unless it turns out that, you know, well also I ruined this forum, yes I am bad, bad, a badass actually. I just want to see what if ? You know, what if ? A lot of things actually. Things like what if the nazies won the war. I state that A&A have proven that was a plausible outcome. Some people claim it was a sure thing, but when you play A&A, I mean play it a lot, then you see there are nothing like a sure thing. So you attack Moscow with overwhelming odds, like 10 to 1, like you attack with 20 tanks and he defends with 10 infantry, and then you got diced. I mean, this is exactely what happened in the real war too. Just look at the russian attack on Finland in 1939 or the japanese attack on Singapore 1942, you would never imagine how that would turn out, now would you ? So basically I play A&A to better understand the mechanics of war. I urge to understand, to learn, to get wise, to get the knowledge, to memorialize the dudes that died, that got killed, yes I like the killing, the feeling you got when you point your cannon at a lot of dudes, and then fire.

• @dinosaur:

I got the game for my son to give him a wonderful experience learning about WWII and the history before and after.  There are so many learning opportunities in the game I doubt I can think of all.  It also gives me a reason to teach him how to compute statistical outcomes, and the value of investing for the future.  To play well, you have to learn to plan ahead.

I’m taking notes.

• It is a war game that I can get people to play that would not play a “serious” war game. It is also very cheap compared to some of the “serious” war games as well. Not that I don’t like and occasionally play some of those it is just very hard to convince new people to play them.

• It’s everything Risk ever wanted to be, and better.

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

It’s everything Risk ever wanted to be, and better.

Not sure about that, Risk is a good game in it’s own right.

I’ve always assumed Larry Harris designed Axis & Allies around Risk: the first time I got a copy of Risk, before I even knew of AA, I had arranged the playing pieces into the spheres of WW2.

• @Starke:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

It’s everything Risk ever wanted to be, and better.

Not sure about that, Risk is a good game in it’s own right.

I’ve always assumed Larry Harris designed Axis & Allies around Risk: the first time I got a copy of Risk, before I even knew of AA, I had arranged the playing pieces into the spheres of WW2.

LoL I thought I was the only person that arranged playing pieces into a WWII setting. Good to know others think like I do.

• I have played A&A spring of 1942 ince 1992.  Just a simple game with a time period I like.  Now I have expanded in all the other expansions and minaitures.  I wasn’t sure on the miniatures.  There are some good games out there but A&A has it’s place in my heart.  Just my thought.  Don

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m