• So, I just took a first look ever on Battle of the Bulge, and am surprised to see that it is completely different then the “regular”, global A&A games.

Not quite feeling like wading through all the other games, I hope you would like to answer a quick q:

Are the other non-global variants similar to Battle of the Bulge, or similar to the global versions of the game?

Thanks.

• Prior brief run down of the games before Anniv.

Bulge is similar to D-Day and Guadalcanal in that it is a single battle game.

BOTB uses reinforcement charts as does D-Day. You do not get to choose what new units you will bring into the battle, the systems are a little different but how many tanks you will be eligible to bring in is already determined before the game begins.

Guadalcanal uses a points system and players may ‘purchase’ reinforcements as they desire within their available points. This mechanic is more in line with the global or theatre variants.

Bulge is similar to Guadalcanal in that it has a random casualty system, what units are removed are determined by die results and not player discretion. The Bulge system uses d12s while the GCNL uses d6s.

Bulge is the farthest removed from its Axis and Allies brethren having a map divided into hexes and the closest feel to a ‘traditional’ wargame, trying to put you into the place of the actual commanders in the battle.

D-Day is an intro game.

Guadalcanal seems an effort to get a Bulge style game closer to the traditional variants and with no stacking limits, no reinforcement charts and naval units is probably closest all around to the global or theatre games.

Rulebooks available here.

• Wow, that was a lot more of an answer then I even hoped for. A simple “Yes, x & y are pretty much the same” would have been sufficient  :wink:

Thanks a bunch Frimmel, much appreciated!

• Well a ‘simple’ answer isn’t really available. One of the things that happens with Bulge and Guadalcanal are that folks keep bringing in preconceptions about how the rules work because it is “Axis and Allies” and in such and such version it works like however it is they are doing it wrong.

In my mind that sort of misconception starts with simple answers as to how the games are related or what they have in common.

I have found I’m much better and prefer the more tactical level games and would like to see more of them. I don’t think they are well served by simple comparisons to the Theatre and Global level games. Folks pick up Bulge thinking it will be like Revised because it is “Axis and Allies” and get frustrated when it is radically different and then don’t try Guadalcanal and we get, four rehashes of Revised (Anniv, '42, Pacific 40 and soon Europe 40) in a row.

• Well…worry not. I will be buying 'em all  :-P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m