• I have played 1942 five times now and have a couple of questions

1. If used for a bombardment prior to invasion should battleships/cruisers  be susceptible to damage from the first round of subsequent combat results? (Well at least during the first round of combat) e.g.  Two cruisers accompany a transport (carrying two units) which performs an amphib assault on a territory containing say five units…  The attacker rolls (it doesn’t matter what the result is) but the defender rolls five hits… here’s the question, should the additional hits by the defender beyond the two required to kill the invading ground units be carried over onto the naval units?  Since it is an amphibious assault it makes sense to me to allow ship casualties in this instance, since the first round of combat battle involves a coastal engagement (shore guns etc).

2)Does the presence of a submarine in a sea zone prevent any accompanying battleship/cruisers (during an amphib assault) from conducting a shore bombardment?  They way I read the rules, the battleships/cruisers cannot ignore the submarine in this case and a seas battle must commence.

3)If a sea battle must commence, can the invading player allocate some of his ships to engage the submarine while the others are set aside for shore bombardment?  it seems a waste of resources to have two battleships and several cruisers etc tied up fighting a lone sub…

1. Transports:  Can an unaccompanied or accompanied transport move through a zone containing an enemy submarine/s?  Can they load/unload from a sea zone containing an enemy submarine/s?

Thanks in advance,

• @nimitz1:

I have played 1942 five times now and have a couple of questions

1. If used for a bombardment prior to invasion should battleships/cruisers  be susceptible to damage from the first round of subsequent combat results? (Well at least during the first round of combat) e.g.  Two cruisers accompany a transport (carrying two units) which performs an amphib assault on a territory containing say five units…  The attacker rolls (it doesn’t matter what the result is) but the defender rolls five hits… here’s the question, should the additional hits by the defender beyond the two required to kill the invading ground units be carried over onto the naval units?  Since it is an amphibious assault it makes sense to me to allow ship casualties in this instance, since the first round of combat battle involves a coastal engagement (shore guns etc).

The rules say no. Those hits can only be assigned to land units participating on the assault. Check pag 15, battleships and cruisers fire before land combat and only the attacking land units are moved to the battle strip after they fire.

2)Does the presence of a submarine in a sea zone prevent any accompanying battleship/cruisers (during an amphib assault) from conducting a shore bombardment?  They way I read the rules, the battleships/cruisers cannot ignore the submarine in this case and a seas battle must commence.

It doesn’t, unless the player decides to attack the sub previous to the the invasion. Check page 30, it says under Does Not Block Enemy Movement that enemy ships ending their combat movements on a SZ with them may choose to ignore them or not.

3)If a sea battle must commence, can the invading player allocate some of his ships to engage the submarine while the others are set aside for shore bombardment?  it seems a waste of resources to have two battleships and several cruisers etc tied up fighting a lone sub…

No. Again pag. 15, if there was not a combat on the SZ, then any BBs or CAs can bombard.

1. Transports:  Can an unaccompanied or accompanied transport move through a zone containing an enemy submarine/s?  Can they load/unload from a sea zone containing an enemy submarine/s?

Yes.

• thanks very much for the clarifications.

• followup on question #2:
    It appears that sea vessels can choose to engage the Sub, but it can just submerge and immediately disengage at the defender’s option (unless there’s a destroyer present, natch).

That would mean that the attacker was denied both an opportunity on the sub, but since they attempted to initiate a sea battle they also couldn’t do a bombardment.  Right?  So if you want a guaranteed chance on a sub, you need to have a destroyer accompany.  Or ignore the sub altogether, and suffer their attacks next round-which would be brutal, because a sunk defender couldn’t respond.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m