AAP1940 Need help counting air movement spaces

• Can the US bomb Japan leaving from Midway which has an airbase?  My confusion is that my opponent is counting entering a SZ with a plane as 1 move, bombing the island as another move and leaving that same SZ as a third move.  For example is he correct that a US fighter leaving Iwo, SZ 17 is move #1, entering SZ 6 is move #2, fighting Japan is move #3 and leaving SZ 6 would be move #4 so a fighter cant get to Japan from Iwo because it would need 2 more move points to land back in Iwo.  Is this correct? Sorry, relative newbie needs clarification on air movement.

• A plane on an island takes one move to move into the sea zone surrounding the island, one move into the next sea zone and then another move to be over land and bomb the island.  The only exception to this rule is if the the plane (fighter or tac bomber) is on a carrier, then the sea zone the carrier is in does NOT count as a move.

• '10

Insert Quote
    Can the US bomb Japan leaving from Midway which has an airbase?  My confusion is that my opponent is counting entering a SZ with a plane as 1 move, bombing the island as another move and leaving that same SZ as a third move.  For example is he correct that a US fighter leaving Iwo, SZ 17 is move #1, entering SZ 6 is move #2, fighting Japan is move #3 and leaving SZ 6 would be move #4 so a fighter cant get to Japan from Iwo because it would need 2 more move points to land back in Iwo.  Is this correct? Sorry, relative newbie needs clarification on air movement.

i dont have a map in front of me, but i’ll do my best.  entering a seazone counts as a space. entering an island counts as space, then entering the seazone again counts as a space.  trying to picture map in my head, you cant make it with a figher to japan from iwo jima

• Official Q&A

Welcome, FlyingTiger!

SZ 17 is move #1, SZ 6 is move #2, Japan is move #3, SZ 6 is move #4, SZ17 is move #5, and Iwo Jima is move #6.

• @johnnymarr:

Insert Quote

i dont have a map in front of me, but i’ll do my best.  entering a seazone counts as a space. entering an island counts as space, then entering the seazone again counts as a space.  trying to picture map in my head, you cant make it with a figher to japan from iwo jima

or more simply, every time you cross a border (sea/sea, land land, or land/sea) it counts as a movement.  as a carrier plane is in a seazone, its first movement is getting to the adjacent seazone or land space.  and this is why carriers are such an important and powerful unit.

• Say you are planning a huge battle, but only have, say 3 Aircraft carrier. Can you still launch more fighter? (over 6) or can you only launch IF there is, at the moment of the attack, a place to land? (So in our example, since we only have 6 landing spot, we can only launch 6 to attack)

Robert

• @Omega:

Say you are planning a huge battle, but only have, say 3 Aircraft carrier. Can you still launch more fighter? (over 6) or can you only launch IF there is, at the moment of the attack, a place to land? (So in our example, since we only have 6 landing spot, we can only launch 6 to attack)

Robert

The latter. YOu are only allowed to send in planes that, when theoretically everything survives, can land.

• @Omega:

Say you are planning a huge battle, but only have, say 3 Aircraft carrier. Can you still launch more fighter? (over 6) or can you only launch IF there is, at the moment of the attack, a place to land? (So in our example, since we only have 6 landing spot, we can only launch 6 to attack)

Robert

I’m pretty sure: you can only launch as many planes as would potentially have a landing spot at the end of the noncombat move phase assuming all units survived combat.  Even an CV that is entering combat can be considered a potential landing space for any fighter.  If one or more CVs do not survive combat, and there are more FIGs/TACs than what can land, then some of the aircraft will die for lack of landing area.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m