• Hello, I know you all have probably seen these questions 1 million times, but I couldnt find the answers on the forum =/. Here are my questions:

Islands: are they considered part of a sea zone or seperate - say the us attacks Wake and I have a Japanese fleet there, can the fleet defend the island?
    Plane movement: is taking off from land to see a movement?
    Subs: say I have 3 subs parked off the shore of england, can england send a bomber and attack me on the first turn with no retaliation? Am I considered above water for the first round?

Your help appreciated.

• Official Q&A

@Malekith:

Islands: are they considered part of a sea zone or seperate - say the us attacks Wake and I have a Japanese fleet there, can the fleet defend the island?

They are separate spaces.  If the US is attacking by air, the Japanese fleet will not participate.  However, if the US is doing an amphibious assault, it must fight and defeat the Japanese fleet before it can land troops.

@Malekith:

Plane movement: is taking off from land to see a movement?

Yes.  The same applies to returning to land.

@Malekith:

Subs: say I have 3 subs parked off the shore of england, can england send a bomber and attack me on the first turn with no retaliation? Am I considered above water for the first round?

Air units can’t hit subs unless there is a destroyer friendly to them in the battle.  Without a destroyer, sending the bomber is useless.  With a destroyer, the bomber could hit the subs until the subs hit the destroyer.

• @Krieghund:

Air units can’t hit subs unless there is a destroyer friendly to them in the battle.  Without a destroyer, sending the bomber is useless.  With a destroyer, the bomber could hit the subs until the subs hit the destroyer.

Dont mean to hijack the thread… Just wanted to confirm. I previously understood that planes could NEVER hit subs, and vice versa? So if I send in a destroyer, I can also hit the subs with my planes? At this point the sub cannot submerge as there is a destroyer present, but can the subs do any damage to the planes?

• Official Q&A

@CptnKeener:

I previously understood that planes could NEVER hit subs, and vice versa?

Subs can never hit planes.  Planes can only hit subs if there’s a friendly destroyer.

@CptnKeener:

So if I send in a destroyer, I can also hit the subs with my planes?

Yes.

@CptnKeener:

At this point the sub cannot submerge as there is a destroyer present, but can the subs do any damage to the planes?

No.  Their only hope is to sink the destroyer.

• I greatly appreciate you clarifying this for me!

One more question then - Once the destroyer is destroyed, can the subs submerge?

• Official Q&A

Yes.  However, in this particular example there would be no need for them to do so, since with the bomber unable to hit them any longer the battle would be effectively over.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m