• I just finished this book today. Overall I found it an interesting read. It was also a fairly quick read. the book covered the story of the 761st Tank Battalion which was comprised mostly of African Americans (although some of the officers were not). The book shows men struggling against not just the trials of warfare but racism. While some of the racial tensions were rare on the battlefield they were common in areas away from the front lines, most notably in some reports and field hospitals.

While some of the battle descriptions were pretty harrowing and the book presented a good broad picture of the fighting in general, I came away wanting more. The people in the book that stand out the most were  Col. Paul Bates, a private named E. G. McConnell, and a tank commander Sergent Warren Crecy. McConnell was some poor 16 year old kid from up north who clutched a prayer book throughout most of the war. Bates turned down a promotion to return to command of the 761st after being wounded. Crecy was just all around tough. There were a lot of other characters in the book but those three were the ones that stand out the most for me.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums knew of any other books that cover some of the same material but in more detail.

• I saw a movie called The Tuskegee Airmen which was the story of a black american fighter squadron.

Maybe there is a book of the same name.

• That was a good flick- probably is a book somewhere…

• There are many good books on the ordeal of Black Americans in WW2…amazing what they had to go through in the armed forces and most of the time they were the fiercest fighters around…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m