• Maybe just a rule that every one of your ICs (not ones you conquered) must produce at least one unit.

So the UK would get a steady stream of minor reinforcements from across the Commonwealth.

Maybe not where the UK would want to spend their money but it’s still pretty KISS.

And definitely make interdiction in the Atlantic more pivotal.

• Customizer

I really don’t think ANZAC is justified in Global; this is really just a hangover from Pacific.

You might as well have Romania and Finland as separate powers; at least these changed sides near the end, so had more of an independent nature than the UK Dominions.

• Yes I agree, there is no need for ANZAC or Canada in the global game. How many UK puppets do we need anyway?

• I would think there will be AB & NB somewhere in eastern Canada. I know Newfoundland wasn’t part of Canada, but Canada took over the defense of the air and naval bases there. An AB on Newfoundland may be able to scramble by rule if it meets the requirements for an island (it would be an island in AA50 if it was named). This would give the allies a safe haven in that part of the Atlantic, or be a good staging point. It could also be targeted by the Germans to give them a foot hold in the Americas (that would take some serious effort). I also could see a minor IC in Quebec. India & Anz gets an IC why not Canada. This would be a good place for the UK to build fleet if it lost control of the sz’s around England, and would have the support of the US.

I was wondering if all the Canadian Provinces will be represented. W US seems to be about 1/3 of the US, if that’s the case shouldn’t Alberta and Northwest Territories be on the Pacific map, maybe even Saskatchewan?

• If you really want Canada in the game. Use the red pieces from the old AAPacific as your Canadian troops. Place the red pieces that start in a Canadian territory at the beginning of the game. On your first UK turn buy an Industrial Complex and place it in your favorite Canadian province. Each UK turn after that, any pieces you place in your Canadian complex will be red to represent Canadian. I am sure your opponent will be more that happy to see you placing your pieces in Canada instead of UK since it is further from the action. In fact he/she might even agree to you having a free Industrial Complex in Canada. Have fun.

• @Brain:

I am sure your opponent will be more that happy to see you placing your pieces in Canada instead of UK since it is further from the action. In fact he/she might even agree to you having a free Industrial Complex in Canada.

But will my opponent still be happy when I start pencilling IPC values all over the Dominion’s Provinces until Canada’s cranking out 10 IPCs per turn?  :lol:

• Don’t we get a NO? Like controlling the Netherlands?

• @allboxcars:

@Brain:

I am sure your opponent will be more that happy to see you placing your pieces in Canada instead of UK since it is further from the action. In fact he/she might even agree to you having a free Industrial Complex in Canada.

But will my opponent still be happy when I start pencilling IPC values all over the Dominion’s Provinces until Canada’s cranking out 10 IPCs per turn?  :lol:

If Canada wasn’t getting the 10IPC’s then the UK would, so what is your point.

• Maybe they’re 10 Canadian IPCs?  :-D

• @valthonis:

Maybe they’re 10 Canadian IPCs?   :-D

Frankly I’d be surprised if there were 5 IPCs on the AAE40 board’s Canadian territories.

• @allboxcars:

@Brain:

If Canada wasn’t getting the 10IPC’s then the UK would, so what is your point.

Incorrect.
    OOB, the UK will not be getting 10 IPCs for Canada.

OOB, Canada in AAE40 will not be a separate power AND the chances of it having even half of ANZAC IPCs are slim and none. Why should it? It never has before.

“Fixing” this IPC deficiency would be part of any sensible house rule to enhance Canada’s role to the level of a separate power.

That, sir, is my point.

The more IPC’s Canada would get, the less IPC’s UK would get in order to keep the game balanced so your Canadian dream is just an allied nightmare.

• @Brain:

The more IPC’s Canada would get, the less IPC’s UK would get in order to keep the game balanced so your Canadian dream is just an allied nightmare.

Well, the presumption that the UK would have to lose IPCs somewhere else to raise Canada’s is not necessarily true since we’re talking about house rules on a game none of us have seen and have no idea how the OOB balance will play out.

And who’s to say an allied nightmare isn’t desirable?  I’m sure Churchill had some sleepless nights waiting for help to come across that North Atlantic.

• @allboxcars:

[Well, the presumption that the UK would have to lose IPCs somewhere else to raise Canada’s is not necessarily true since we’re talking about house rules on a game none of us have seen and have no idea how the OOB balance will play out. [/quote]

Well then I am sure since you like giving free money to the Allies you wouldn’t mind giving some free money to the Axis. I am sure we could add Austria as an Axis nation and perhaps others.

• @Brain:

Well then I am sure since you like giving free money to the Allies you wouldn’t mind giving some free money to the Axis. I am sure we could add Austria as an Axis nation and perhaps others.

ah then you do see my point: for any nation - Canada, Austria, Andorra, whatever - to be a separate player it would have to have a significant income; merely swapping in different coloured pieces would not suffice to make it playable.

It appears to be a fairly evident extrapolation from the new treatment of Australia in AAP40.

• Customizer

This is, in part, what my Convoy system is driving at. Although the UK has overall control of Canada & Australia it has to decide weather or not to Convoy their incomes to the UK, at the risk of losing the income altogether for that turn, or converting it into units in the Canadian and Australian factories with their limited capacities, and relative distance from the fighting.
    In either case there is a natural delay in the money/unit reaching the UK, especially in the case of Australian money.  Of course the UK is particularly vulnerable to being choked of from overseas income, especially if the Axis targets Egypt (which forces a longer route around Africa).
    Transfer by convoy should however be faster than units can travel, otherwise there is no incentive to use the convoys where the income can be lost without “firing back”.
    It should be noted that this is intended to work with my own rules which forbid the building of new factories, or the use of captured ones. No Indian factory!

• @allboxcars:

@Brain:

ah then you do see my point: for any nation - Canada, Austria, Andorra, whatever - to be a separate player it would have to have a significant income; merely swapping in different coloured pieces would not suffice to make it playable.
    It appears to be a fairly evident extrapolation from the new treatment of Australia in AAP40.

Apparently you couldn’t hear the sarcasm in my response.

• I thought that it was already stated on an earlier forum that Canada was going to be receiving income, thereby making them a power.  They already have their own flag/symbol in AAP40.

• @Kiyoshi:

I thought that it was already stated on an earlier forum that Canada was going to be receiving income, thereby making them a power.  They already have their own flag/symbol in AAP40.

I don’t think so.

• @Kiyoshi:

I thought that it was already stated on an earlier forum that Canada was going to be receiving income, thereby making them a power.  They already have their own flag/symbol in AAP40.

i can think of 100 arguments against a canadian power. would there be any benefit at all to adding it? Other than making the UK already more divided and weak. :P

• @cyan:

i can think of 100 arguments against a canadian power. would there be any benefit at all to adding it? Other than making the UK already more divided and weak. :P

Well, considering the UK / British Commonwealth of Nations was divided and (like most of the West in 1940) weak it is not necessarily a bad thing to model the dispersed resources of Empire.

IMHO something is needed in the AAE40 to get away from the ahistorical single-IC Commonwealth that magically deposits units on Winston’s doorstep every turn.
    An independent Canada may not be the solution but including it shouldn’t be based solely on what’s good for the UK… I don’t imagine Italy was introduced solely to benefit Germany in-game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m