Favorite World War II book Ficiton or Non-fiction?

• My Favorite Book Fiction:  The Guns of Navarone by Alistair MacLean

Non-Fiction:  History of United States Naval Operations in World War II by S.E. Morison  (15) Volumes

What about u guys…the guys that read that is?  LOL

• Very Tough Call…
    For Nonfiction-
    Cornelius Ryan’s The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far
    Atkinson"s books right after that.
    There are so many good and great books that is pretty tough to list them all.

Fiction:
    I haven’t read much fiction about WW2 I enjoyed actually (Unless you count Jeff Shaara’s books which I enjoyed immensely).
    I have read some of Turtledove’s books and while I was interested in them at first I eventually lost interest.

• I’d have to go with one of Ryan’s as well.  Probably Bridge, but The Last Battle was surprisingly good.  I like Ambrose too, but I think Ryan did it better (and first).

For fiction I like Hitler Victorious, which is a collection of short stories concerning the Axis winning.  My favorite one is about how Norse gods come down and join the Axis leading to a longer war in favor of them, but Loki helps the Allies on a sneak attack hoping to end it all.

• @Jermofoot:

I’d have to go with one of Ryan’s as well.  Probably Bridge, but The Last Battle was surprisingly good.  I like Ambrose too, but I think Ryan did it better (and first).

For fiction I like Hitler Victorious, which is a collection of short stories concerning the Axis winning.  My favorite one is about how Norse gods come down and join the Axis leading to a longer war in favor of them, but Loki helps the Allies on a sneak attack hoping to end it all.

Hitler Victorious?  Sounds good…maybe ill give it a quick read…

• Rick Atkinson writes very polished historical war narratives.  “An Army at Dawn” and “Day of Battle” are great reads.  The “Palgrave Concise Historical Atlas of the Second World War” by Martin Folly is neat.  Its not your typical book, its a collection of maps in chronological order of major battles and turningpoints of the war.  Each atlas includes a concise overview and a briefing of the event.

Cornelius Ryan’s “Bridge too Far”, and that is having read several WWII non-fiction. I don’t think I’ve ever read any WWII Fiction.

GG

• King Rat

Von Ryan’s Express

• @RogertheShrubber:

Rick Atkinson writes very polished historical war narratives.  “An Army at Dawn” and “Day of Battle” are great reads.  The “Palgrave Concise Historical Atlas of the Second World War” by Martin Folly is neat.  Its not your typical book, its a collection of maps in chronological order of major battles and turningpoints of the war.  Each atlas includes a concise overview and a briefing of the event.

I have been reading his Liberation Trilogy…i have to say one of the best treatments of Operation Torch, the war in North Africa and the Italian campaign…

• Das Boot  and  Haie und kleine Fische

• Call me old school but I really like John Toland’s The Rising Sun a history of the Pacific war from the Japanese point of view. In this you will find that they viewed Guadalcanal as a bigger defeat than Midway.

His Biography on Hitler (Adolf Hitler)is very good too. In both books he had the advantage of interviewing many of the survivors and participants involved.

He also wrote a very good book on WW1 called No Man’s Land, 1918 the Last Year of the Great War. = excellent. I got him to autograph a copy for me years ago.

And speaking of WW1 John Mosier’s Myth of the Great War is a very good modern “new” military history of WW1

I also like Albert Speer’s book Inside the Third Reich.

And I will give a shout out to Time-Life for the Third Reich Series, for what it is its a pretty decent series.

I’m afraid I don’t read fiction history books very often. The only one I can remember was Fatherland which was later made into a TV movie with Rutger Hauer about Germany getting the Bomb at the same time as the US and a sort of new cold war and a meeting between Hitler and President Kennedy (Joe Kennedy) in 1964. But that pesky Holocaust was the fly in the ointment to the meeting going off. I did read The Eagle has Landed too.

• what the hell?
    Beevors’ Berlin and stalingrad, and the others
    those are the best non-fiction ww2 books there are!!

• Band of Brothers

• band of brothers is good I also like a very old book called marine at war

• I really liked Army at Dawn, still haven’t read Day of Battle but will eventually.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m