• If a sub is being attacked by another sub can it submerge before it is attacked.  I know this sounds like a dumb question but I can’t figure it out.

• Official Q&A

Yes.

• okay that is cool thanks a lot.

• Show me where I am wrong, but wouldnt the subs have to undergo 1 round of combat before submerging?

• My interpretation of the rules is the attacking subs gets its first strike roll. If attacking sub hits, the defender is immediately destroyed. If that roll misses, the defending sub can choose to submerge instead of rolling for defense.

• Official Q&A

Page 16: “Attacking or defending submarines that choose to submerge are removed from the battle strip and placed on the game board in the contested sea zone, removing them from the remaining battle sequences.”

Page 17: “Note: decisions on whether attacking and defending submarines will fire or submerge must be made before any dice are rolled.  The attacking player decides first.”

So, the attacker decides whether or not to submerge and removes any submerging subs from the battle strip.  The defender then does the same.  If any subs are left on the battle strip, they attack and/or defend.

• I think your interpretation is probably correct, but……
    on page 30 it states, “submersible: A submarine has the option of submerging. It can do this anytime it would otherwise roll the die to fire…” Without paying very close attention to what you just quoted, this statement by itself would make it seem as if 1st the attacker when it would normally roll an attact could choose to either roll or submerge, and then the defender when it would normally roll to defend could choose to either defend or submerge.  I think the rule book contradicts itself a bit here.  Thanks for the point out.

• @wmman09:

I think your interpretation is probably correct, but……
    on page 30 it states, “submersible: A submarine has the option of submerging. It can do this anytime it would otherwise roll the die to fire…” Without paying very close attention to what you just quoted, this statement by itself would make it seem as if 1st the attacker when it would normally roll an attact could choose to either roll or submerge, and then the defender when it would normally roll to defend could choose to either defend or submerge.  I think the rule book contradicts itself a bit here.  Thanks for the point out.

Take Krieghunds word as gospel, he’s the rules guru.  And yes, occasionally the rules contradict themselves.  But subs can submerge before or after (which really ends up amounting to before) each full round of combat.  So before the first round before attackers fire or defenders fire.  Or before any firing in the second round.  repeat ad naseum.

• Official Q&A

Maybe there is a small contradiction here.  Perhaps the rule on page 30 should say “anytime it would otherwise fire”.  Fire is simultaneous, whereas the actual dice rolling is not.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m