• Now I admit I have only played a few times, and each time an Axis victory is getting closer, but we have never seen an Axis victory.  What is happening in your Axis victories?  Is Japan still doing the old tank rush?  What about Italy?  I’m long past my prime at Axis and Allies, so it’s probable that my skills are simply lacking, but it would be great if someone could outline how they are winning.  Not really looking for a turn by turn plan, just general objectives that are key to winning.  Thanks.

• '16 '15 '10

Are you playing with national objectives?

• Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Clearly if they are on the Axis most shift their goals to achieving them.

• It shouldn’t be hard to win with axis when playing with NOs. Go for the money.

The fastest way of becoming decent, if you’re in a “learning curve”, is to play AA50, (WW2v3) in the unstable TripleA ladder, imo. It’s way more effective than reading an essay on the different strats and tactics :-)

• '16 '15 '10

@OctavianNT:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Clearly if they are on the Axis most shift their goals to achieving them.

If national objectives are on, Axis should have the advantage.  Basically, their strategy is go after the national objectives every turn and wear down Russia at every opportunity.  Don’t worry so much about the other Allies…defend yourself, but make sure all your buys contribute to the goal of destroying Russia.

Allies should need a bid of around 8 to compete in a national objectives game if Axis is using the optimal strategy.

If you are playing without national objectives, best guess is Axis would need a bid of around 12 or more.

• So what is this “optimal” strategy?  Are you tank rushing to Moscow with Japan, or are they knocking out UK/US IPCs in India and the Pacific?  Is Italy simply building up defense in France, or are they more aggressive moving into Russia?  I often try to punch holes in the Russian lines with Italy so the German can move more freely, but have not had much success.

• @OctavianNT:

So what is this “optimal” strategy?  Are you tank rushing to Moscow with Japan, or are they knocking out UK/US IPCs in India and the Pacific?  Is Italy simply building up defense in France, or are they more aggressive moving into Russia?  I often try to punch holes in the Russian lines with Italy so the German can move more freely, but have not had much success.

It is much better to punch holes with Germany to let Italy have a crack at russia. Weaken Russia in the south and hit the caucus with a couple of loaded Italian transports really puts Russia in trouble.

If the Allies are ignoring Japan then move about half of Japanese fleet to the Med(taking India along the way) and allow the Italians to take Africa at the same time. Without the extra fleet protection Italy is doomed.

• @Flying:

@OctavianNT:

So what is this “optimal” strategy?  Are you tank rushing to Moscow with Japan, or are they knocking out UK/US IPCs in India and the Pacific?  Is Italy simply building up defense in France, or are they more aggressive moving into Russia?  I often try to punch holes in the Russian lines with Italy so the German can move more freely, but have not had much success.

It is much better to punch holes with Germany to let Italy have a crack at russia. Weaken Russia in the south and hit the caucus with a couple of loaded Italian transports really puts Russia in trouble.

If the Allies are ignoring Japan then move about half of Japanese fleet to the Med(taking India along the way) and allow the Italians to take Africa at the same time. Without the extra fleet protection Italy is doomed.

We’ve found it to be the other way with the ‘hole punching’ described above:
    Italy is the can opener to allow a stack of German tanks to take Moscow / Caucasus

• @axis_roll:

@Flying:

@OctavianNT:

We’ve found it to be the other way with the ‘hole punching’ described above:
    Italy is the can opener to allow a stack of German tanks to take Moscow / Caucasus

Doing this leaves Africa to the Allies doesn’t it? Can a lower income Italy do this? What do you do, stack up tanks and infantry for 4 rounds then attack Russian territories? I can definately see this working though seems like a more risky strategy than going for africa/middle east.

When I say using Germany to let Italy have a crack at Russia I mean the Caucus not the Russian capital.

• @Flying:

Doing this leaves Africa to the Allies doesn’t it? Can a lower income Italy do this? What do you do, stack up tanks and infantry for 4 rounds then attack Russian territories? I can definately see this working though seems like a more risky strategy than going for africa/middle east.

When I say using Germany to let Italy have a crack at Russia I mean the Caucus not the Russian capital.

You can do both.  You don’t need many italian tanks to open a hole in a wall of inf that is only 1 or 2 inf.

and, yes Germany can can opener the Caucasus for italy, but we find it’s better to have Germany (or even Japan) to take the caucasus over Italy.  They could make better use of the IC with 4 unit capability.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m