Should the Draft be extended to Women?

• I bring this up because of coming back from a J.S.A. convention that included a thought talk about gender roles.

All the immature people bashing on each others genders was hilarious. This one guy said that the reason men are paid more than women is because women have to take a bathroom break every ten minutes.
    One girl said that men couldn’t handle childbirth. Then I was like “Yeah, you know that because of all the men who gave birth and couldn’t handle it”

The femminazis who said that they would never have children were also funny.

TO get back to my point, women wouldn’t serve in combat units because it is against U.S. policy.

• Yes it should. Problem is, politicians want women’s votes, and they won’t get them if they extend the draft.

• The femminazis

Haha, a fellow Rush Limbaugh listener I see… :wink:

All throughout history, men have been the protecters of women (with a few exceptions) and I think that most people wouldn’t want that role to change. It’s one thing to have to say goodbye to your son as he is called up for the draft, but imagine if your wife or your daughter got called up.

Now, I’m sure that women could probably, in fact, hold their own. If they want to volunteer to go, then so be it. I’ve got no problem with that.

• Eh, I wouldn’t mind women draftee’s (maybe in “segregated units” to avoid any of the you-know-what). How the draft overall isn’t highly looked upon, so I doubt that it wouldn’t get any further then mere lip-service.

• Just because one is drafted doesn’t mean you are sent to the line as a rifleman. You have 1000’s of rear echilon positions that could be occipied by women leaving more men availible for field duty.

• How about this. We shouldn’t even consider the draft. And, if the draft is called back, it should be the generation (my generation) which will be forced to fight, who make the decision. I don’t want 60 year old politicians killing off my generation for their war.

If its a just war, and the manpower is needed, there is reason for a draft. But an offensive war, no way in hell we should call one up. And this is an offensive time.

• The whole idea of a draft for nearly any war America has been in since 1945 borders on tragic.
    At the same time, if one is called, I have no problem with a women’s forces unit, separate from the men, organized, trained and fought in concert with men’s units, however run by women who have a better idea as to all women’s-issues as they relate to combat and combat situations such that the units compliment each other well, yet there is no adverse affect by one on the other. I mean, let’s face it. Women are in many respects the equals, or even superiors to men, however they are not the same. They have physical, emotional, and mental health issues that are different from men’s, with capabilities that too are different (not inferior to, just different). Until the subtleties of “women in combat” are better understood by those who determine war-logistics, it prolly isn’t a bad idea to maintain some separation.
    Also war will always be decided upon by 60 year old men. It takes that long to attain the position to decide these things, they suffer few consequences of these decisions, and they have the conservative arrogance that comes with their age and politics to determine that what appears to be right for their politics is right for everyone.

• If a draft is called, everyone physically able must be called upon. This means George Bush’s daughters, The Rich guys at Harvard, and the ordinary guy down the street. The bullshit that occured during the Vietnam war, where only those who couldn’t afford to go to college were drafted, cannot occur again.

• ya, make the president fight!

• ya, make the president fight!

Ummm… certain age limit for draftees…

George Bush’s daughters

Probably not since it might affect his judgement in as CiC.

Women are in many respects the equals, or even superiors to men, however they are not the same. They have physical, emotional, and mental health issues that are different from men’s, with capabilities that too are different (not inferior to, just different). Until the subtleties of “women in combat” are better understood by those who determine war-logistics, it prolly isn’t a bad idea to maintain some separation.

What a load of crap. :-? Most draftee’s aren’t even sent to the front lines (in Vietnam - I think 66% [correct me if I’m wrong] of all casualties were enlisted men) and are used to serve in the rear or to patch up holes as Jazz said. Besides in times of war you need 1000’s (and probably more considering a “modern war”) of troops to serve as logistical/tactical information. Women can preform this job par excellence (as they have been currently).

• i’m missing the “load of crap” cue there TG. What is a load of crap? Do you think that “co-ed” forces should be fully integrated? Do you feel that women are identical to men in all respects? Do you feel that the idea of a separate combat unit for women is “full of crap”? I mean, if 66% of casualties in Vietnam were enlisted men, then it stands to reason that 33% were draftees, and given that the draft came much later, i’m guessing that many of this 66% was enlisted men who died early in the war (i.e. prior to the draft), which leads me to consider that later in the war, the bulk of casualties were draftees.
    So again, where was the “load of crap”?

• In WWII, all four of FDR’s sons were in uniform. They flew dangerous missions like all other pilots. Why should sons and daughters of politicians not be drafted like the rest of us.

• A draft would mean possibly full battalions or even divisions of infantry of women. I doubt the generation of our leaders could handle the fact that in a combat situation where large groups of female units (in the 100’s or 1000’s) were encircled, slaughtered or forced to surrender subjected to the horror’s of a POW including rape. Is the US public at large ready to face this possibility?

I personally agree that women should be included in the draft. But the role of them in direct heavy combat situations (frontline infantry) the country I believe is not ready to accept…

• In WWII, all four of FDR’s sons were in uniform. They flew dangerous missions like all other pilots. Why should sons and daughters of politicians not be drafted like the rest of us.

Yes, but most of them were in their 30’s (or late 20’s), plus they enlisted to fight. None were ever drafted. On the other hand, Bush’s daughters are quite young and (correct if I’m wrong), don’t want to be on the frontline.

Do you think that “co-ed” forces should be fully integrated?

Yes, Enlisted forces should.

Do you feel that the idea of a separate combat unit for women is “full of crap”?

No, I was pointing too the apparent idea, "They have physical, emotional, and mental health issues that are different from men’s, with capabilities that too are different (not inferior to, just different). " This should not alone be the main reason for separate combat units. Women can be just as strong as men. What is the difference between a weak man who is drafted and a women? Mental health issues? Not exactly sure where you’re going with this. For the most part women are “mentally sane.” If health problems are detected, then they will be released. Not every draftee serves, many are sent back home. Emotional? Everybody is scared during war - who says he is not is either a liar or an idiot.

I mean, if 66% of casualties in Vietnam were enlisted men, then it stands to reason that 33% were draftees, and given that the draft came much later, i’m guessing that many of this 66% was enlisted men who died early in the war (i.e. prior to the draft), which leads me to consider that later in the war, the bulk of casualties were draftees.
    So again, where was the “load of crap”?

Perhaps I did not explain well enough. 2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. 70% of those killed were volunteers.

• @Field:

A draft would mean possibly full battalions or even divisions of infantry of women. I doubt the generation of our leaders could handle the fact that in a combat situation where large groups of female units (in the 100’s or 1000’s) were encircled, slaughtered or forced to surrender subjected to the horror’s of a POW including rape. Is the US public at large ready to face this possibility?

I couldn’t agree more. :P
    To me, this whole situation sounds like more of an “equal-rights” argument rather than some strategic justification for sending our females to the enemy.

Do you think that “co-ed” forces should be fully integrated?

Yes, Enlisted forces should.

Absolutely not. :o
    There’s too many other factors that have to be dealt with when you throw a female soldier into the mix. Gaurenteed, there will be trust problems with having a woman covering your back instead of a man, and in the world’s strongest military, we can’t afford petty nuisances like that.

WE DO NOT NEED WOMEN TO FIGHT FOR US!

Go put 'em at a desk somewhere back in the US, but don’t ship them overseas to go fight on the front lines for us. There’s no need for it.

Why should sons and daughters of politicians not be drafted like the rest of us.

Politics. :wink:
    Do you think support for war by the American people would go up or down when they started seeing the President’s family die?

It’s basically the same thing as: Why do people enrolled in college have less of a chance of being drafted then those not in college?

• To be frontline, you have to pass a physical test. Same to be actively enlisted. If you set the standards the same for Men and Women, and you take only those who meet the standards, you will have a battle ready, coed force. Sure, because Men are biologically stronger than Women, there will be more frontline men than women.

• Public polls and opinion factor well into our government’s view of itself. Any administration is always looking to it’s next election win. I doubt ANY political party in this country would gain ANY public support with a platform “Send your daughters to die in foreign wars!”. President Bush is hard selling a possible mostly “male” war in Iraq, if co-ed or strictly female frontline units existed, it would be even harder. Americans have little stomach for their sons going off to die, let alone their daughters : insane!!!
    Again Americans are not ready for this. They don’t want war at all, the result is always dead sons…and DAUGHTERS !!! HELL NO, NOBODY GOES !!!

• I doubt the generation of our leaders could handle the fact that in a combat situation where large groups of female units (in the 100’s or 1000’s) were encircled, slaughtered or forced to surrender subjected to the horror’s of a POW including rape. Is the US public at large ready to face this possibility?

And I doubt the generation of our leaders could handle the fact that in a combat situation where large groups of young GI boys (in the 100’s or 1000’s) were encircled, slaughtered, or forced to surrender subjected to the horror’s of a POW tortue. Is the US public at large ready to face this possibility? :)

Absolutely not.
    There’s too many other factors that have to be dealt with when you throw a female soldier into the mix. Gaurenteed, there will be trust problems with having a woman covering your back instead of a man, and in the world’s strongest military, we can’t afford petty nuisances like that.

And I trust anybody to watch my back if they passed their training regardless of race, sex, age, religion, or creed. Why many soldiers undergo the hardest training in elite unit? It is to insure that they will be serving with the best. I will take a Delta Force female over a regular male GI any day.

WE DO NOT NEED WOMEN TO FIGHT FOR US!

Yet during times of war we see young, underage boys (14-17) fighting for us?

Why should sons and daughters of politicians not be drafted like the rest of us.

I’m in favor of it if they do not have the ability to manipulate what goes on the battlefield. I do not like seeing important military politicians risking the lives of many others to protect the lives of their own offspring.

doubt ANY political party in this country would gain ANY public support with a platform “Send your daughters to die in foreign wars!”.

I don’t think any political party who tries to sell a platform requiring drafting (even if it is male only) would be very popular. We see what happened to LBJ… :-?

• Keep in mind, Women fought alongside men in Russia in WWII. Without them fighting, its doubtful whether they could of held on throughout 1941 to 1942.

Women fight alongside Men in Israel today. They perform similar to men.

In our own armed forces, Women perform similar in the front line to men.

Its not a question of their ability to perform. Its a question of the conservative, old-fashioned base of White Men accepting the fact that we are all equal in responsibility.

• yeah, I forgot about the Russians. Russian woman make excellent pilots. Nicknamed by the dreaded Germans as the “Night Witches.” Many in fact became aces.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m