• The defense of scrambling one Tac bomber is a total win for the US.  If they do scramble the Tac, Japan loses the chance to shore bombard with two battleships and one cruiser.  The one turn statistics on that single event show the US player has made the right decision.  2@4 + 1@3 = 22%-3 hits, 44%-2 hits, 28% 1 hit, 6 % no hits  Only 6% of the time is the US losing anything on the decision, and 28% of the time they break even, since the first hit could be understood to be the loss of the Tac anyway.  I haven’t analyzed the whole battle, but someone has already said it is less than 50% for the Japanese to take the H-I if the US player scrambles a plane.

• @shohoku201:

I believe I discussed the idea of invading Hawaii on J1 in detail previously.  My analysis of this invasion was that Japan needs to use all three of its transports carrying 3 Infantry, 2 Artillery and not conduct a naval battle in sea zone 26 (don’t attack the transport) in order to use the shore bombardment from your 2 Battlehips and 1 Cruiser.

According to the rules though, if a capital ship even “enters” the sea zone the lone transport is “automatically destroyed” and constitutes as the “sea combat” pg. 31- so even the battleship and crusier cannot participate.  This doesn’t happen however when “only transports” enter the sea zone with lone enemy transports/submarines (non-capital ship.  With that an attack on Hawaii in would look like this:

to Hawaii
      2inf, 2art from Jap via 2trn from z6 to z26
      1inf from Car via 1trn from z33 to z26

planes can’t scramble because…

there is no sea combat (transports [non-capital ships] just ignore lone transport and offload

However no planes from anywhere can make it to the attack via movement capabilities.

OR…

you can bring a good amount of ships into z26- a combination from z6 and/or z33, sink the transport which is “automatic” according to the rules (at this moment you would be at war with the US), and “tempt” the US to possibly scramble leaving the defense of their Hawaii to 2 lone infantry- chances are they won’t risk that.  But anyway you lose the bombardment the moment you bring in any capital ships.  So I believe the best attack you can bring to Hawaii on J1 in the above Combat Move.

The probable scenario would be 3inf, 2art against 2inf, 1tac, 1bmr, 1ftr, a 5-5 count with a punch of 7-12 in favor of the US- that would make an attack on Hawaii suicide in a J1 gambit.

Time to focus on the J1 possibilities for a Phillipine attack instead (coming soon)…

• taking hawaii first tirn is only about a 20% chance, even with all 3 transports. because you have the choice to ignore the transport and get your bombardment you still cant because a smart player will scramble the tac fighter to stop the offshore and then its just a roll off and I have rolled it 10 times and only won it 2 times. and if you try to take it second turn with your three new transports he can fly one fighter against to stop bombardment again. You cant use any air support untill second round. you might take it second turn but at what cost, india gets huge and china as well.

Also the second time you attack hawaii it could have all america’s planes and all anzacs planes and when you chose  to attack with your planes on the island he sends all planes against your navy almost undefended, at best 3 des, 1 crus, 3 car, (with no attack), and 2 battleships vs 6 fighters on defence and 1 tac fig.  this hurts the japs just way to much you fight one round and are forced to retreat and are then forced to limp back to a friendy port. And If you take you carr’s as hitts you sacrafice all 6 planes and your navy still gets a beating, so now you have plus 5 and america with 56 plus 5 for plil on your door step. Not a good move as far as I have seen. havent tried the attack first round on the anzac but seems like something I wouldn’t mind trying.america

• it says in the rull book that you can ignore transports and subs as they have no zone of control, and you can scramble whenever you want, you are creating a naval conflict.

• @james_88:

it says in the rull book that you can ignore transports and subs as they have no zone of control, and you can scramble whenever you want, you are creating a naval conflict.

yes, but not if you are the US because you can’t attack Japan until after turn 3 or when Japan initiates war.

• And by doing a combat move at pearl they are declaring war  :-D

Now you also can only scramble when someone ENDS a combat move into the SZ so they do not ‘block’.

• If you are moving into Hawaii with ONLY Jap transports you can ignore the transport there and just unload.  Scrambles are only for defending a sea zone.  However no battle is occuring in the sea zone- no naval battle- at that point there is no declaration of war so therefore the US CAN’T scramble.  Only after unloading the Jap transports is there an official declaration of war.

Either way the Japanese do not have sufficient material to attack and take Hawaii- it is a suicide mission and now considered a “dead” move or non-strategic move.

• @Vareel:

Now you also can only scramble when someone ENDS a combat move into the SZ so they do not ‘block’.

explain please- what page and section is this on in the rulebook???

• @questioneer:

If you are moving into Hawaii with ONLY Jap transports you can ignore the transport there and just unload.  Scrambles are only for defending a sea zone.  However no battle is occuring in the sea zone- no naval battle- at that point there is no declaration of war so therefore the US CAN’T scramble.  Only after unloading the Jap transports is there an official declaration of war.

Either way the Japanese do not have sufficient material to attack and take Hawaii- it is a suicide mission and now considered a “dead” move or non-strategic move.

If a combat move ends in a sea zone containing an airbase with planes that can scramble, then they have the option of scrambling to defend the sea zone.  Kreighund said it somewhere, I do not recall where specifically though.

Furthermore, the moment ANY combat move is made that would result in war, war rules are in effect and are retroactive for ALL combat moves made in that turn.  Meaning, if there was a US destroyer in SZ 25 you could not, under any circumstances, move a transport from SZ 6 (japan) to SZ 26 (pearl) and unload it to invade Hawawi as there is an enemy ship in the way.  You could, in one turn, move the transport, then on the following unload it to attack and declare war then, but you could not do it all in one turn.

edit: these are the posts if you wish to review them to confirm what I have said.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=16114.msg539117#msg539117
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=16119.0

• The second link you sent seems to apply- thanks for clearing this up.  I was rereading the parts in the rule book and it is very unclear and contradicting when talking about the “scrambling” and the “amphibs”

So then even a combat move with no sea combat that results in a amphib is still grounds for scrambling.  I’ll tell Kreighund to clear this up in the FAQs because it is worded very badly.

thanks
    :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m